ACC Net Oddity | The Boneyard

ACC Net Oddity

Reaction Score
So Raycom still gets games even with an ACC Network?

Maybe this is an indication that just because they are getting a Network they may not get the big jump in revenues that most expect. Otherwise, why would ESPN allow these games to be anywhere other than their platforms?

Reaction Score
I’m not starting another ACC Network thread...

With football, basketball national champions, ACC "perfectly situated" for network launch

>>What will, in large measure, determine the network’s early success will be distribution to cable providers. How many will carry it, and how much revenue will those carriage deals generate?

Disney’s traditional network offerings — think ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, the Disney Channel and Disney Junior — combined with recent acquisitions such as FX Networks and National Geographic Partners figure to enhance Disney’s clout when selling the ACC Network to distributors. Moreover, Magnus called the late-November football-basketball overlap “a unique moment of real emphasis and real power for this network.”

“We feel like we have a pretty good hand going into these conversations,” he said, “and that will be of benefit to the ACC, their institutions and their fans. … The next three months will be a sprint. It always is. (Negotiations) usually (come) down to the bitter end, but we feel really confident going into this process.”

Disney has carriage agreements with Verizon Fios, DirecTV, Hulu and Altice. Comcast, Cox and others have yet to sign on.

Appearing with Magnus, ACC commissioner John Swofford encouraged fans to “demand” the channel from providers.

“That can be very influential and important to the distribution process,” Swofford said.<<

Reaction Score

With football, basketball national champions, ACC "perfectly situated" for network launch

>>What will, in large measure, determine the network’s early success will be distribution to cable providers. How many will carry it, and how much revenue will those carriage deals generate?

Disney’s traditional network offerings — think ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, the Disney Channel and Disney Junior — combined with recent acquisitions such as FX Networks and National Geographic Partners figure to enhance Disney’s clout when selling the ACC Network to distributors. Moreover, Magnus called the late-November football-basketball overlap “a unique moment of real emphasis and real power for this network.”

“We feel like we have a pretty good hand going into these conversations,” he said, “and that will be of benefit to the ACC, their institutions and their fans. … The next three months will be a sprint. It always is. (Negotiations) usually (come) down to the bitter end, but we feel really confident going into this process.”

Disney has carriage agreements with Verizon Fios, DirecTV, Hulu and Altice. Comcast, Cox and others have yet to sign on.

Appearing with Magnus, ACC commissioner John Swofford encouraged fans to “demand” the channel from providers.

“That can be very influential and important to the distribution process,” Swofford said.<<
I demand it for free. What it’s worth.

Reaction Score
I think the RSN deal continues until 2027. Remember, Disney is selling RSNs to Sinclair, so keeping this content may have helped the deal financials.

Reaction Score
So Raycom still gets games even with an ACC Network?

Maybe this is an indication that just because they are getting a Network they may not get the big jump in revenues that most expect. Otherwise, why would ESPN allow these games to be anywhere other than their platforms?

But I'm sure ACCNet retains the right to run Wake-Pitt womens bball rebroadcast at 10am on a Tuesday.

Reaction Score

Clocks a ticking... Florida State football fans may be shut out of 2 games on TV with ACC Network deal in limbo

>>As the ACC Network approaches its long-anticipated launch date, some major television providers have still not reached a deal to carry the network.

Chief among them locally, Comcast and Dish Network both remain in ongoing negotiations without an agreement in sight. That means two of FSU's first three 2019 football games may not be available for many Seminole fans to watch.

"Both Comcast and Dish (Network) as it stands today, no traction at this point on them airing it," Jason Dennard, FSU's Associate Athletics Director for New Revenue Generation and Marketing, told the Democrat.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I haven't been paying attention, but wouldn't the plan be to shutdown ESPNews and replace with the ACC network? I suppose even if that is the case, you still want to up that carriage fee for this new network since ESPNews has basically zero carriage value.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
What if ESPN calls and says they will match SNY’s football offer -

Yeah, but at what price. Surely they can get a deal for pennies....

You may be more right than you know...

I can't believe this is actually true, so trying to confirm, for sure.

I can't get ACCN now, on DirecTV. Thought it was the usual new-channel nonsense that can happen, but it appears:
The ACC Network isn't a national network (like BTN, SECN, etc). DirecTV is giving it, essentially, as an RSN, and anyone outside the "ACC footprint" (whatever that is, wonder how far west of Boston in MA they go) needs to upgrade to the Sports Pack / Ultimate to get it.

If this is actually true, the ACCN might be Aresco-level stupid, let's see...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You may be more right than you know...

I can't believe this is actually true, so trying to confirm, for sure.

I can't get ACCN now, on DirecTV. Thought it was the usual new-channel nonsense that can happen, but it appears:
The ACC Network isn't a national network (like BTN, SECN, etc). DirecTV is giving it, essentially, as an RSN, and anyone outside the "ACC footprint" (whatever that is, wonder how far west of Boston in MA they go) needs to upgrade to the Sports Pack / Ultimate to get it.

If this is actually true, the ACCN might be Aresco-level stupid, let's see...

yes the ACCNet is only on the sportspack on DTV.

they are way too late to the party and the schools spent some pretty serious money - Carolina spent $15 on their studios for example

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yep. Insane. Essentially, ACCN = Longhorn Network, with wider coverage. LOL.

Reaction Score
I received notification that the ACCN will be on Youtube. tv. I emailed them and told them I did not want to pay extra for this station. They responded that there would be no extra charge. My next question is, "then who is paying for it?" If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate it. I do not want my dollars going to the ACC...or the BTN for that matter.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Got an email that Optimum was adding the ACC network at no extra cost. Hope it fails in NYC metro. ‘Twas our last hope for P5

I was going to attach a screenshot but getting error message that file is too large?? @temery

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Got an email that Optimum was adding the ACC network at no extra cost. Hope it fails in NYC metro. ‘Twas our last hope for P5

I was going to attach a screenshot but getting error message that file is too large?? @temery

...for gold and premier only. It won't be as wide as the BTN.

Reaction Score
if you have Direct TV...hit channel 612...that will tell you if you have ACCN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
if you have Direct TV...hit channel 612...that will tell you if you have ACCN.

Err, yes.

The point is that the other conference networks have gotten true, national, deals - with differing costs based on geography. I can watch the SECN and BTN without a huge fee spike.

The ACCN didn't - they basically got the LHN with a multi-state footprint, instead of 1, at least on DirecTV. Swofford clearly caved to ATT, in order to get a national provider at launch, sort of. Sounds like "not mad"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom