ACC Moving Neutral Site Championships | The Boneyard

ACC Moving Neutral Site Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN reporting ACC moving neutral site championships out of NC because of discriminatory laws.
Sports affected include Women's BBall, baseball, tennis, swimming, football.
Will be interesting to see how this will affect recruiting.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This follows the NCAA moving a men's basketball regional site out of NC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Doubt recruiting will be affected by the moving of championships, though there may be some socially aware athletes who choose not to attend based on the law itself - I suspect more likely on the women's side than the men's.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I'm sure mostly everyone expected this after the NBA pulled the plug a while back and the NCAA yesterday. The top NC brass has had more than six months to reconsider their passage of HB 2.

The legislature and the governor of NC have stonewalled any and all attempts by all organizations and groups to seek a reasonable compromise... Their position is that they don't want their women and girls molested in their bath rooms. Of course there is no history of any instances of this ever happening in NC.

The governor is up for reelection this year. We'll see how he does as well as those legislators supporting this position.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This follows the NCAA moving a men's basketball regional site out of NC.
Doubt recruiting will be affected by the moving of championships, though there may be some socially aware athletes who choose not to attend based on the law itself - I suspect more likely on the women's side than the men's.

There is also at 1 state schools (Albany) that have cancelled previously scheduled BB game in the state.
SUNY Albany cancels game against Duke over LGBT laws | New York Post

Reaction Score
I'm sure mostly everyone expected this after the NBA pulled the plug a while back and the NCAA yesterday. The top NC brass has had more than six months to reconsider their passage of HB 2.

The legislature and the governor of NC have stonewalled any and all attempts by all organizations and groups to seek a reasonable compromise... Their position is that they don't want their women and girls molested in their bath rooms. Of course there is no history of any instances of this ever happening in NC.

The governor is up for reelection this year. We'll see how he does as well as those legislators supporting this position.
The dumb thing is it has always been illegal to molest or sexually assault another person, so why do they need these laws? The only reasonable conclusion one could draw is that these laws target a specific group of people. Of course many North Carolinians view the public outcry and corporate punishment as an attack on their "way of life."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The dumb thing is it has always been illegal to molest or sexually assault another person, so why do they need these laws? The only reasonable conclusion one could draw is that these laws target a specific group of people. Of course many North Carolinians view the public outcry and corporate punishment as an attack on their "way of life."
But interestingly, the law was rushed through at the state level to overturn a local government's adoption of an ordnance that allowed the use of the bathroom of a persons gender identity.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If justice delayed is justice denied it is also true that presumptive justice or justice in haste is justice denied.

Reaction Score
I spent July 3rd with my sister-in laws family. She had a co-worker and her boy friend over and were told before hand that John now goes by Kim and lives his life as a woman now. My wife and I told her we dont have a problem with that. She knew we wouldnt unlike most of my wifes family would. Come to find out I went to high school with Kim, who at the time was John and 2 yrs ahead of me, Class President and An All-State Wrestler. I played Varsity BB my Sophmore Year and hanged out with the Srs. So I knew John pretty well. Eventually Kim brought up the topic of transgender people because he was comfortable with everyone there. He legally changed his name and it was almost a year since he changed but it was along time coming she said. He asked me What I thought about it? I told heras long as you are happy that is what matters to me. He then asked about the controversy about public bathrooms and I told her that transgender people should still use the same bathrooms they have been using their whole lives. He wasnt happy wih my answer and then he asked me about sports and I told him using BB as an example. Would it be fair to women if a BB player who was born a man and decides to live as a women be allowed on a womens team. When they are stronger and more athletically gifted then women. Would that really be fair to the WBB players and he said well not really. I then told him that there will be a lot of people who dont think that being transgender is right and everybody will not agree with this. In fact the majority of people in this country probably wont. I told him if you want the respect from people about this issue. He needs to respect the opinions of the people who dont believe in it. Neither side has to like it. Only respect it! By the way it was a great day!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between playing a sport where you'd have a physical advantage and using a bathroom.

BTW - where do you suppose transgender people were going to the bathroom this whole time? Probably in the gender they identified with. And yet...no molestation of little girls.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Insanity is popularly described as "Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results." (Einstein, IIRC)

Now the NC Guv and Legislature have taken masochistic behavior to a new level: "Doing something stupid, then repeatedly doubling down on it the more your stupidity hurts."Head bang

This goes beyond mere insanity. So what do we call it?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Something tells me I am oversimplifying but if so, I suspect some good soul here will let me know.

I have read that the administration has said that if you 'self-identify' as a boy or girl that is dispositive....we [the law] should treat you the way you identify. Is that correct?

I have also read that the administration is threatening to withhold federal funds from school districts that fail to follow this policy. Is that correct?

In Alaska there is a transgender girl running track on the girls' team....high school level. Apparently some districts up there permit it...some don't.

I would assume to be even a little consistent that the districts who are opposed to this risk getting federal funds cut.
Does it make sense for the legal system to tell that transgender girl that we will protect your right to self-identify some of the day...particularly when using the restroom....but don't even think about participating on a girls' team. Wouldn't the legal system protect the transgender girl in all situations?

And if that impacts Title 9 [in a negative way] so what? Your individual right to self-identify trumps our very progressive efforts to embrace girls and women in sports [which has been a fabulous success imo.

I confess to having concerns about the feds threats in this area.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
IMG_20160914_134133.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads