Acc GOR in principle | The Boneyard

Acc GOR in principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not contract.

This poop keeps getting better and better. Popcorn to the 10th degree.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...3/acc-network-still-in-early-stageswhats-next

The ACC already did important legwork in April by securing a grant of rights for its 15 members. ACC Channel or not, the schools are locked in and the league is no longer a Big Ten buffet (though, whether it ever really was is still debatable). The GOR contracts are not yet finalized, according to a source, but they are agreed to in principle and the schools aren't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
I'm a sucker for a summer blockbuster so I'll bite: Is there some possibility the GOR is not yet binding? If the door isn't closed yet then the door might still be open, no?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Months ago I was told by someone 'in the business' that if anything was going to happen in the near term regarding conference realigment then it would happen by June 30, 2013. If there is no additional movement by 6/30/13, then it will be a few years until there is a renewed game of musical chairs. He didn't mention what was driving this timeline...so take it FWIW.

Reaction Score
Yes, I mentioned it on the ACC board...
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/acc.15197/page-60#post-614858

There's still a chance this can go down... come on sweet Virginia.

I think UConn and UVA to the B1G would be a great combo. I just do not see UVA making the switch at this point. As you know, the ACC released their rotating cross division football schedule through 2024 and UVA is all over it. However, here is what I find interesting. The B1G has only released their football schedule through 2015 up to this point. I have to wonder if a firm commitment to a schedule beyond that time is not yet in place specifically because there may be further expansion as the B1G heads into a new media deal following that year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think UConn and UVA to the B1G would be a great combo. I just do not see UVA making the switch at this point. As you know, the ACC released their rotating cross division football schedule through 2024 and UVA is all over it. However, here is what I find interesting. The B1G has only released their football schedule through 2015 up to this point. I have to wonder if a firm commitment to a schedule beyond that time is not yet in place specifically because there may be further expansion as the B1G heads into a new media deal following that year.

Hey, FWIW, I have been saying UConn will be in the B1G for the 2016 season.

U

UConn9604

Months ago I was told by someone 'in the business' that if anything was going to happen in the near term regarding conference realigment then it would happen by June 30, 2013. If there is no additional movement by 6/30/13, then it will be a few years until there is a renewed game of musical chairs. He didn't mention what was driving this timeline...so take it FWIW.

This is about the same time of year when the ACC's first raid went down. The first lawsuit vs. the ACC was filed on this date in 2003, exactly ten years ago today.

Reaction Score
According to the CBS article (and common sense), the ACC still has no real presence in the NYC market. Syracuse may deliver "parts of NY", which I guess is the coveted Buffalo-Rochester market and the Canadian market. They are a hell of a lot closer to Canada than NYC. Still a gaping hole in the NYC tv market for the ACC.

Reaction Score
FSU AD fired (day before he plans to announce his strategic plan). Storm clouds are brewing ....
Good point. My guess is they are not entirely on board with the ACC. Not happy with the Notre Dame deal, or with playing football with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Wake. Must be some serious pressure to look elsewhere before a GOR deal is made with the ACC.

Reaction Score
I feel like this should be a bigger deal. The Network and GOR were the two big stories coming from the ACC camp last month and neither have turned out to be done deals. The fact that the twitter gang of WV are completely silent is a good indicator that there might actually be some rumblings. All it takes is a school like UVA (#24 USN) to be unhappy being associated with a glorified community college (#160 USN) and we may be back to ACCageddon. Swofford was praised universally for keeping the ACC together, but to me it looks as if he half-assed the two tricks that enabled the conference to stick together. The glue never dried and boy do I hope someone decides to slip away for a bigger conference.

Reaction Score
According to the CBS article (and common sense), the ACC still has no real presence in the NYC market. Syracuse may deliver "parts of NY", which I guess is the coveted Buffalo-Rochester market and the Canadian market. They are a hell of a lot closer to Canada than NYC. Still a gaping hole in the NYC tv market for the ACC.

Syracuse is about 2 1/2 hours from Buffalo and 3 from Canada, and Cuse has no presence in Buffalo. They are strictly CNY. By the way, the market on the national border is pretty big. Not counting Toronto's 8 million, you have 2.5 million an hour east of the Niagara River, and another 2 million on the other side. If you count Toronto (which is 75 miles away from Buffalo), you have 12 million people, making it one of the most densely populated regions on the planet.

Reaction Score
Wonder why the FSU AD was fired? Did he recommend the GOR without realizing what a clusterfrig the Raycom contract was?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Wonder why the FSU AD was fired? Did he recommend the GOR without realizing what a clusterfrig the Raycom contract was?

I think he has been a dead-man walking for a while now (he was given a one year contract last year IIRC...not exactly a ringing endorsement). So this move is probably less about the short term plans in the ACC (as some here are hoping) and more about their long term direction.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think he probably opposed the GOR. He lusted for SEC and never dispelled any rumors about the BIG 12 talk.

It was FSU president Barron who took the lead on getting FSU on board with the ACC and GOR.

Reaction Score
I love and feel solidarity for all my fellow BYers given the disaster we are in, but this really is the longest of long shots.... Totally the height of wishful thinking. No one is reporting that the ACC GOR is fragile or on the verge of collapse...Lets move on and start winning some games. I hope to see some of you at the SMU game... Dallas is a much better place to see a football game then the Carrier Dome, No?

Reaction Score
I think he probably opposed the GOR. He lusted for SEC and never dispelled any rumors about the BIG 12 talk.

It was FSU president Barron who took the lead on getting FSU on board with the ACC and GOR.

Yeah, but Barron answers to the crazy BOT chair, who is a loose cannon.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yeah, but Barron answers to the crazy BOT chair, who is a loose cannon.
Andy Haggard. He's still on the BOT but stepped down as chair. He's no longer on the crazy train and prefers to stay the course with the ACC.

As others have pointed out Spetman's ouster was in the works. I think he was trying to make a mark and get FSU to a better pay day and that's probably what did him in.

Reaction Score

He lusted more than the SEC :)

ChaddScott 10:42am via HootSuite
It went completely unnoticed & unknown publicly, but best thing Spetman did at FSU was helping get UL in ACC #legacy

Reaction Score
I love and feel solidarity for all my fellow BYers given the disaster we are in, but this really is the longest of long shots.... Totally the height of wishful thinking. No one is reporting that the ACC GOR is fragile or on the verge of collapse...Lets move on and start winning some games. I hope to see some of you at the SMU game... Dallas is a much better place to see a football game then the Carrier Dome, No?

Baylor fan here, SMU isn't a large crowd but Ford Stadium is a good venue with good sight lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom