ACC coaches favor 16 teams, divisions | The Boneyard

ACC coaches favor 16 teams, divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. --ACC men's basketball coaches want to see the league expand beyond Pitt and Syracuse. They want to increase the number of schools from 14 to 16, move to divisions and, if possible, add Notre Dame as one of the new members.

And it's not just Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina coach Roy Williams, whose programs won't be hurt by bringing in elite teams, that want to add two more quality teams.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ant-league-expand-16-teams-college-basketball

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. --ACC men's basketball coaches want to see the league expand beyond Pitt and Syracuse. They want to increase the number of schools from 14 to 16, move to divisions and, if possible, add Notre Dame as one of the new members.

And it's not just Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina coach Roy Williams, whose programs won't be hurt by bringing in elite teams, that want to add two more quality teams.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ant-league-expand-16-teams-college-basketball

Great news. This and $20 will get me a lap dance at Beamers.

Reaction Score
elite and ND.

god, do they have the greatest PR firm. and it probably is God.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great news. This and $20 will get me a lap dance at Beamers.

Why do you insist on denying the evidence that UConn is not in fact a pariah, and is not doomed without the BE?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The Clemson AD, taking jabs at UConn perhaps? Sheesh.

Funny, I must've missed all the hoops contributions his school made down there...

Reaction Score
The Clemson AD, taking jabs at UConn perhaps? Sheesh.

Funny, I must've missed all the hoops contributions his school made down there...

I did not see that in the article.

Reaction Score
We are being duped. If the ACC really wanted us they would just add us as the 15th team. Having an odd number of teams wouldn't effect the ACC because we have to wait two years anyway. Plus adding us as 15 would put more pressure on ND.

Hopefully Herbst isn't buying this and is actively pitching UCONN to the Big 12 and Big 10 while simultaneously working to keep the Big East active and strong.

Reaction Score
We are being duped. If the ACC really wanted us they would just add us as the 15th team. Having an odd number of teams wouldn't effect the ACC because we have to wait two years anyway. Plus adding us as 15 would put more pressure on ND.

Hopefully Herbst isn't buying this and is actively pitching UCONN to the Big 12 and Big 10 while simultaneously working to keep the Big East active and strong.

ACC doesn't believe ND will ever join.

In a pinch, they'd take UConn and Rutgers.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I did not see that in the article.

Well here's what he said:

"I'm OK going to 16 as long as we find schools that fit our profile,'' said Clemson coach Brad Brownell. "I just think we need great academic schools with places of integrity. This league is known for basketball, and we've had great success by doing things the right way. And I know the presidents will want to uphold the ACC reputation.''

Maybe he's referring to Memphis or UMass with those 'integrity/doing things the right way' quips and I'm just reading too much into it. I guess that's possible.

But any story ESPN currently puts out concerning conference expansion is poisonous, imo: they're simply not an objective source of news on the subject right now. As such, I'm more inclined than ever to see the negative aspects of their pieces than I am the positives...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe he's referring to Memphis or UMass with those 'integrity/doing things the right way' quips and I'm just reading too much into it. I guess that's possible.

But any story ESPN currently puts out concerning conference expansion is poisonous, imo: they're simply not an objective source of news on the subject right now. As such, I'm more inclined than ever to see the negative aspects of their pieces than I am the positives...

I think he's talking about WVU.

Reaction Score
The Clemson coach mentions integrity and reputation in the same paragraph.

I'll raise you a U and a UNC. Unreal.....

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He's from down here?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Beamers Nelson? Come on...I figured you for a Harry O's kind of guy!

Never been to Harry O's. I wouldn't consider myself an expert or anything, but I would put Beamers as one of the best I have ever been in. Runaway #1 in the state.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm surprised to hear that either place is still around. I was at Beamers once, the evening of my bachelor party in the summer of 1993 and at Harry O's perhaps three times (somewhere around 89-90) as a guy we played softball with a few years earlier was a regular there when it opened (it was a great dive called Grave's End before that) and we were trying to recruit him for a new team we were putting together.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I can just imagine the sort of "recruiting tactics" you must have used in a place like that.

I am guessing it is very similar recruiting tactics to those used at Miami and the SEC!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom