ACC announces new scheduling format | The Boneyard

ACC announces new scheduling format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC announced some scheduling formats today that I found interesting:

Football: ACC will not go to a 9 game conference schedule, but will remain at 8 games. The ACC needed to do this in my opinion to allow for OOC scheduling to bolster schedule strength.

Basketball: ACC Tournament final will remain on Sunday afternoon with semis on Saturday afternoon. Means there is still a big hole for the BE tournament to fill on Saturday night.

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/100312aae.html

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
important things
-8 fball games mean your division plus one rival game, or in other words nd can join in 2015 and play 8 games and still have 4 slots for ucs/navy and then a mix of msu/mich/pur/stan. this just inches closer to the whole who is # 16 for the ac a couple years from now
-the bball thing is stupid in the longterm but for now i dont care. if uconn joins in 2015 then with 16 all sports teams, bball should be a round robin h/a rotate by year. this allows the acc to have 15 games round robin then a 16th game of a rival(same as fball for example). unc-duke bc-uconn and so on. or go to 18 games and have 3 rival games.

this is where the acc is going imho. 2015 can't get here fast enough for me. i either want to know we are safe or know what we are up against but everything is imcomplete right now.

Reaction Score
More importantly, staying with 8 league games means that the ACC can take a 16th member even if ND doesn't join for football. You can only play 9 games if you have an even number of teams (an average of 4.5 home games times an odd number leaves someone hanging). But with an 8 game schedule you can have either an odd or even number of teams and it still works.

Reaction Score
I don't see the ACC going to 16.

Only one reason ... a NEW opportunity for ESPN to open that checkbook. Right now, nothing available (including UConn) does that.

Reaction Score
Getting Jabari Parker would get ESPN's attention though. I know he is likely a one and done but it will signal to ESPN that Uconn basketball is not going away. ESPN loves nothing more than to hype big-time players/games and in the college basketball world nobody will be as hyped as Parker in the 2013-2014 season. I'm pretty sure the current ESPN contract goes through 2014 but if Parker comes others will as well. They do not want a top 5 basketball program to play its games on NBC Sports.

Reaction Score
I don't see the ACC going to 16.

Only one reason ... a NEW opportunity for ESPN to open that checkbook. Right now, nothing available (including UConn) does that.

ACC stays at 15 for a while. The only (realistic) school that would change their mind is Penn State as they desperately need another football power. PSU is not happening in the short term, but long term, who knows as this is the Eastern football conference that they always wanted.

The 8 game conference schedule means that the 3 key southern football schools, FSU, Clemson, and GT won a major concession from the conference and now are highly unlikely to leave. Each of these schools has an SEC rival that they play every year and they did not want a 9 game conference schedule.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The ACC stands pat until the day ND joins for football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom