Absinthe | The Boneyard

Absinthe

Reaction Score
Evening, y'all.

It's the winter solstice and when we're home, we like to honor my wife's Nordic heritage by spending the evening outside by the fire. This year, I wanted to make Nordic-inspired cocktails using aquavit, but couldn't find it anywhere. Instead, taking notes from the anise flavored liquors I've tried in Iceland and Norway, I picked up a bottle of my first absinthe.

I'm prepping Green Beasts to be had tonight, but any other recommendations for absinthe cocktails? Can it be enjoyed neat? I'm totally a newbie with this product.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with Scanahoovia, but now that you've got absinthe, you can make Sazeracs.

Personally I'd be happy not finding aqavit. Probably my least favorite spirit. Tastes like grain alcohol filtered through rye bread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with Scanahoovia, but now that you've got absinthe, you can make Sazeracs.

Personally I'd be happy not finding aqavit. Probably my least favorite spirit. Tastes like grain alcohol filtered through rye bread.

That’s why I bought a bottle. I hate licorice so I really never touch it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

This is an accurate description. My dad had a pure Norwegian upbringing ( his mom born there) I drink it every year but it’s rough.

@Hey Adrien! Your wife ever been to Bestemors in mystic village? Even my dads cousins from Minnesota ask to go there when they visit. They have everything.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is an accurate description. My dad had a pure Norwegian upbringing ( his mom born there) I drink it every year but it’s rough.
Once lived with a girl who was 100% norweegian. Her dad could eat an entire block of sylte for breakfast if left to his own devices. Guy was crazy about the stuff. It's the most frightening cold cut I've ever encountered. And as Norwegian food goes, sylte is actually pretty normal compared to the awful things they do with fish. No wonder the Vikings were mean SOBs.

August_West

Reaction Score
Once lived with a girl who was 100% norweegian. Her dad could eat an entire block of sylte for breakfast if left to his own devices. Guy was crazy about the stuff. It's the most frightening cold cut I've ever encountered. And as Norwegian food goes, sylte is actually pretty normal compared to the awful things they do with fish. No wonder the Vikings were mean SOBs.
Lutefisk is next level bad . I don’t even think my dad likes it but he still eats it once or twice a year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lutefisk is next level bad . I don’t even think my dad likes it but he still eats it once or twice a year.

We went to Norway.

Their culinary instincts are all bad.

Reaction Score
We went to Norway.

Haha, I'd concur. Out of all the places I've traveled, Norway is the place where I've eaten the lowest proportion of their local cuisine.
@Hey Adrien! Your wife ever been to Bestemors in mystic village? Even my dads cousins from Minnesota ask to go there when they visit. They have everything.
No, but thanks for the rec. We don't go to Mystic often, but will check it out next time we're around.

August_West

Reaction Score
We went to Norway.

Yeah I’m going back there in July for a couple days while in Scotland for the month. Food won’t be the highlight that’s for sure

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m going back there in July for a couple days while in Scotland for the month. Food won’t be the highlight that’s for sure
And drinking there is a fortune. Duty-Free, baby!

Whereabouts in Norway will you visit?

Reaction Score
ADubs, just got back from a Mystic trip and I remembered your recommendation! Bestemors was a fun stop, thanks for the rec!
I checked it out last weekend. Pretty fun store! Almost bought the "Viking DNA" T-shirt to rep my 1% Norweigian heritage. On a related note, there's a Norway flag for sale at a thrift store in Stonington for $6 for you true Vikings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom