AAU President Speaks RE: Connecticut | The Boneyard

AAU President Speaks RE: Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Found this article today where AAU president Hunter Rawlings talks about research money and how universities need to lower their dependence on federal dollars and seek state and private business dollars instead (ala Uconn).
Rawlings said that after nearly a decade of cuts in funding to public higher education and research, the funding landscape in state legislatures was improving modestly. During this fiscal year, he said, 37 states boosted funding for public colleges, with a sizable share of those increases going towards research. He cited the example of New York City’s investment in a new technology campus for Cornell University and the governor of Connecticut’s plan to dedicate $1.5 billion to growing the science, technology, engineering, and math programs at the state’s university system.​

Reaction Score
Found this article today where AAU president Hunter Rawlings talks about research money and how universities need to lower their dependence on federal dollars and seek state and private business dollars instead (ala Uconn).

It's an interesting statement though because the AAU doesn't take into account such funding. Such funding is considered investment rather than research projects.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting statement though because the AAU doesn't take into account such funding. Such funding is considered investment rather than research projects.

Maybe that perception is changing.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
preface: i dont need franks take on this one.

it is a good sign that the aau president is being briefed on our progress and put our efforts right next to nyc's plan (which may herald a game changing moment for nyc).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is what we should all be monitoring before anything else CR related. This is a GREAT sign for UCONN. AAU criteria seems to be changing, according to the comments in this article, and that can only help UCONN fast track to membership. Without AAU (or the very least, changing the criteria to favor UCONN), UCONN is stuck in AAC purgatory.

Reaction Score
I can't see what the criteria would be in this case. State funding is already a matter of record. Connecticut has moved up the ladder quickly. It used to be in the 5th quintile for funding Higher Ed. (literally, one of the worst 10 states in the country), and now it's in the 3rd highest/lowest quintile. In the middle. But any criteria that would credit UConn for that would deal a severe blow to schools like Michigan, Cal-Berkeley, Texas and Penn State (schools that are not well funded by that criteria) while crediting schools like SUNY-Albany, which are well-funded.

Reaction Score
This is what we should all be monitoring before anything else CR related. This is a GREAT sign for UCONN. AAU criteria seems to be changing, according to the comments in this article, and that can only help UCONN fast track to membership. Without AAU (or the very least, changing the criteria to favor UCONN), UCONN is stuck in AAC purgatory.

preface: i dont need franks take on this one. it is a good sign that the aau president is being briefed on our progress and put our efforts right next to nyc's plan (which may herald a game changing moment for nyc).

Agree. I think having UConn cited by the AAU President is good news.
It indicates at least an awareness on the part of the AAU about NextGenCT (http://uconn.edu/nextgenct/).
This awareness may serve as a guide for other AAU member universities on how to, in the AAU President's words, "focus their energy into building partnerships with state governments and businesses".
This awareness may open up lines of communication and collaboration between UConn and AAU member universities.
NextGenCT also aligns nicely as well with the AAU Undergraduate STEM Education Initiative (http://www.aau.edu/policy/article.aspx?id=12588).

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Agree. I think having UConn cited by the AAU President is good news.
It indicates at least an awareness on the part of the AAU about NextGenCT (http://uconn.edu/nextgenct/).
This awareness may serve as a guide for other AAU member universities on how to, in the AAU President's words, "focus their energy into building partnerships with state governments and businesses".
This awareness may open up lines of communication and collaboration between UConn and AAU member universities.
NextGenCT also aligns nicely as well with the AAU Undergraduate STEM Education Initiative (http://www.aau.edu/policy/article.aspx?id=12588).
I'd hope he adds awareness of schools in the northeast. Hunter was president of Cornell when my kids attended, not too long ago, but it's nice to be highlighted along with Cornell - that tech campus is a big deal.

Reaction Score
Imagine, a wicked smaht guy suggests diversifying research funding sources. Jeez, wonder why that merits strong consideration. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Imagine, a wicked smaht guy suggests diversifying research funding sources. Jeez, wonder why that merits strong consideration. :rolleyes:

The backdrop though is that states were slashing education in an unprecedented way. Put it this way. The cost per student at Cal-Berkeley was $33,500 a couple years ago. That's how much was spent per student per year. In 1991, the state paid $16,400 per student. In 2011, the state reduced funding to $9,760 per student. These are real dollars, not inflation adjusted. Given the drastic reduction, it made no sense to look to your state nor to count on your state. After all, Connecticut was slashing UConn's budget by $10m+ every single year. Same with New York state and the SUNY's.

The change now is simply the lack of a Federal budget and the sequester. Projects have stopped. People are being laid off. The money stopped flowing.

Reaction Score
The change now is simply the lack of a Federal budget and the sequester. Projects have stopped. People are being laid off. The money stopped flowing.
With that response upstater, you are self-christened Captain of the Obvious for a day! ) However, wicked smart AAU guy's remark may well extend far beyond current sequester games and ongoing negligence played out by DC's selfish careerists of all stripes and persuasions.

Reaction Score
With that response upstater, you are self-christened Captain of the Obvious for a day! ) However, wicked smart AAU guy's remark may well extend far beyond current sequester games and ongoing negligence played out by DC's selfish careerists of all stripes and persuasions.

Are we really ready to stop research as a nation? I find that hard to believe. Maybe we are, in which case, we're effed. So it doesn't matter.

I just have a very low opinion of state government.

Reaction Score
Campus has gotten pretty nerdy, it seems. Standards for admission are sky-high now. We're unofficially a nerd school. I would have never gotten in now with the high school grades I had then.

Reaction Score

This certainly doesn't hurt UConn, but I still think the biggest obstacle for a UConn B1G invite is having a suitable partner to join with.

Reaction Score
Campus has gotten pretty nerdy, it seems. Standards for admission are sky-high now. We're unofficially a nerd school. I would have never gotten in now with the high school grades I had then.

This is a good thing. People in this country don't celebrate smart people enough. We glorify folks in the entertainment (ex. Hollywood and sports) while ignoring the PHDs and the scientists. Frankly, I am glad UCONN is educating more smart people for the next generation.

Let's hope president Herbst, with the help of the state, can get us into the AAU ASAP.

Reaction Score
This is a good thing. People in this country don't celebrate smart people enough. We glorify folks in the entertainment (ex. Hollywood and sports) while ignoring the PHDs and the scientists. Frankly, I am glad UCONN is educating more smart people for the next generation.

Let's hope president Herbst, with the help of the state, can get us into the AAU ASAP.
Having the top students go to UConn is actually a necessity for our endowment to grow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This certainly doesn't hurt UConn, but I still think the biggest obstacle for a UConn B1G invite is having a suitable partner to join with.
Not the biggest, but it is on the list.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Cornell to the B1G!

(yeah, that's a joke)

Reaction Score
He cited the example of New York City’s investment in a new technology campus for Cornell University.

Let me also point out the OBVIOUS ... UConn is very unique. Cornell's technology campus (won by RFP) was a Bloomberg idea placed on Roosevelt Island. Not likely to ever be replicated. One shot deal & they better have it all buttoned up.

On the contrary ... UConn has repeatedly been supported here by a bipartisan State legislature. In contrast to our neighbors.

Reaction Score
On the contrary ... UConn has repeatedly been supported here by a bipartisan State legislature. In contrast to our neighbors.

For the last 18-19 years or so, that is. Not until Jennifer Rizzotti's crossover dribble did the General Assembly give a rat's DeFilippo about us. That's why our campus looked like it belonged in Pyongyang for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom