AAU for UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAU for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn's metrics are currently above several AAU members that are "like" universities. But, just for a moment, let's forget about numbers that are 12-24 months old. Instead, let's focus on what things will look like a few years out after the $1.5B+ investment comes online, which includes state of the art research facilities, world renowned faculty, major corporate partners and the accumulation of technical breakthroughs. What some people overlook is that the CT leadership are past the point of no return and need this to work in order to create jobs, tax revenue and grow the population by turning Connecticut into the Research Triangle of the NE. Hey Big Ten, don't want to make us part of the CIC? Fine, UConn will rip that research right out your hands just like we rip national championships out of our competitors' hands. Still not convinced? Just look at how UConn is plucking best-of-class professors from several elite schools. Look at how UConn academics keep clawing its way up the rankings. Look how UConn's gritty resolve results in national championships, even when the odds are stacked against them. UConn research efforts are just getting started and they are not going away anytime soon. So the question is really boils down to this. Does a conference want to be a part of this future success or do they want compete against it?

Reaction Score
I believe that he stated that AAU membership upon application the the B1G was required. If you get thrown out of the AAU and you are already a member than that is acceptable. (Yes another double standard for UConn). This eliminates UConn. All the strings can be pulled, but unless this requirement is revised, there will be no B1G in UConn's future. So you and I can now stop paying attention. If you think that he is concerned that the ACC might take UConn you are also dreaming. That ship sailed as well when they took Louisville and he was well aware that UConn was on the ACC radar. If we add today's Delany interview, with Geno's radio show, and the SI report on the B1G, then pretty much, all of the speculation of UConn's escape from the AAC is nothing more than hyperbole and fantasy.

Look it's Monday - SU!

pj

Reaction Score
Hey Big Ten, don't want to make us part of the CIC? Fine, UConn will rip that research right out your hands just like we rip national championships out of our competitors' hands.

Now you're talking. Trash talking. But talking.

Reaction Score
Now you're talking. Trash talking. But talking.

Perhaps. . .but it felt good. . .

Having said that, aside from a bit of hyperbole, nothing mentioned was technically inaccurate. UConn needs to keep doing what it's doing and push forward on all fronts. Good things will come from it. Whether that includes an invite from the AAU or beyond, time will tell.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Nebraska is not the litmus test, ND is. If you don't think the BIG would take ND in a heartbeat, then I don't know what to say. As long as that remains the case, AAU status will remain important, not a prerequisite.

pj

Reaction Score
Their data does not include the UConn Health Center. Including it would almost double UConn's numbers.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This data is 4 years old. Is there newer data?

that I know of, no. I was just perusing the csnbbs aac board and saw the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom