Aari McDonald | The Boneyard

Aari McDonald

McDonald's ability to lead the Wildcats into the upper division (top 6) in the Pac 12 is

• Clearly a fact

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Still uncertain

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • No way will the Wildcats perform at a 50% win rate this year, one star teams tend to fail.

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
There has been a discussion of Wildcat McDonald on a number of threads. ESPN has a nice analysis of her recent performance, including the road win over Texas.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For Arizona not to finish at least #6, something very unexpected would have to happen. Either Arizona -- the defending WNIT champions, who returned all their starters and added a quality transfer in Amari Carter -- would have to fall flat, or someone from the projected lower tier would have to far exceed expectations.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe if McDonald played on a team that is seen more on television she would get more national attention than she gets. Based on her stats last season, she should have been an AA, first or second team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By the way, she had 14 assists to go with her 15 points today. Cate Reese was leading scorer, with 20.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe if McDonald played on a team that is seen more on television she would get more national attention than she gets. Based on her stats last season, she should have been an AA, first or second team.
Not arguing that she wasn't deserving based on stats and worth to her team, but it's rare for an AA selection to come from a non-NCAA tournament team. She was on none of the preseason watch lists and, despite her eye-popping stats, stayed under the national media radar. Arizona was vastly improved over the previous year but not quite successful enough to upset the media narrative. (She was, however, one of only two players from non-NCAA tournament teams to be named Honorable Mention AA.)

None of that is the case this year. Anyone who didn't already know about her in the preseason certainly has been put on notice after she dropped 44 on Texas. And I'll be shocked if Arizona doesn't make the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
McDonald's name appeared on the thread indicating top 50 efficient players in the nation. Another indication of the quality of her game. Odd that she continues to be under the radar for the average fan. I suspect all Pac-12 coaches including her own are well aware of this dynamic player.

Reaction Score
In the Wildcats 35-point victory over Montana McDonald had 19 points on eight of 16 shooting, seven rebounds, two steals, two turnovers as the game high scorer.

Reaction Score
I feel there is a “more than likely option” missing from this poll. It’s like there is Choice A certain. A down the middle C choice in still uncertain. A “D” choice in unlikely. An F choice of No way!

I vote B more than likely!

Reaction Score
McDonald was 5 for 6 in the first half in the victory over UC Riverside. Hard to evaluate given the quality of competition....but she continues to show the ability to dictate a game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
McDonald was 5 for 6 in the first half in the victory over UC Riverside. Hard to evaluate given the quality of competition....but she continues to show the ability to dictate a game.
She looked good today, in a situation that was not very demanding.

Reaction Score
The Wildcats have Monmouth tonight. Wonder if the Wildcats win by more than 30? Is it possible that MacDonald will top her Texas game?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Wildcats have Monmouth tonight. Wonder if the Wildcats win by more than 30? Is it possible that MacDonald will top her Texas game?
I doubt she will. Adia seems intent on using as much of the bench as possible in the blow-out games (which, one hopes, this one is). It gives them some game experience and shows who might be counted upon if needed in a tough game due to fouls or (hope not) injury. She played all available last game.

Of course, she could decide to give the core group extra minutes and prove me wrong, but it isn't what I expect.

Reaction Score
Great point. Barnes is definitely trying to round the entire squad into shape as they get ready for the Pac-12 season. We all know McDonald can go off and even if she were limited 20 minutes given the efficiency of her shooting I'm wondering to what extent she might light it up. That said I do wonder to what extent the weak schedule is going to impact the preparation of the Wildcats as they get ready for Pac-12 play. Hard to judge the team right now. I'm wondering if they're going to be in a position to challenge UCLA for the fourth spot in the conference. Looking forward to Dean versus McDonald that should be really entertaining.

Reaction Score

"With Aari McDonald being named Pac-12 Player of the Week three weeks ago, this marks the first time since the 2004-05 season that two Wildcats have been named Conference Player of the Week in one season.

Arizona is also the first team in the Pac-12 to have two Player of the Week honors."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

"With Aari McDonald being named Pac-12 Player of the Week three weeks ago, this marks the first time since the 2004-05 season that two Wildcats have been named Conference Player of the Week in one season.

Arizona is also the first team in the Pac-12 to have two Player of the Week honors."
First Off as noted in the ASU thread, I love these insights-thank you
Second, I am a HUGE FAN of this young lady!
Here’s my quibble with Asia-Barnes who with McDonald and the team coming back she should been more aggressive in scheduling, I mean the Massey ranking of #199 is abysmal and the fact they have played ONE team ranked below 100 (Texas #70) and the next best is #140 UTEP next they’re play #341 tomorrow. I mean REALLY?

That’s embarrassing and any reporters covering this team should question that schedule to her. At least Kelly Jolly Harper has been honest about the crappy schedule she inherited from Holly. Aida-Barnes needs to own this mess.

Rant over, I predict a good game with UCLA, while the Bruins have more talent, Aida-Barnes is the better coach and has the best player on the floor. Does Az have someone to contain Onyewere is my concern,

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the Sunday matchup between McDonald and Dean. I wonder if they'll go head-to-head? This really is an early-season Marquee game and demonstrates the depth of the Pac-12.

These two guards really have a lot of similarities. Both of them are lightning quick and have the ability to create their own shot.

I was surprised at how poorly McDonald is shooting the 3-pointer so far this season. While her overall shooting is superior to Dean she really hasn't found her stroke from beyond the 3-point line. Dean has a better assist to turnover margin while MacDonald following Barnes philosophy of ball-hawking has 10 more steals.
Stat. Dean. MacDonald
FG per cent. 39. 50
3 point per cent. 33 23
Assists 60 46
Steals. 18 28

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the Sunday matchup between McDonald and Dean. I wonder if they'll go head-to-head? This really is an early-season Marquee game and demonstrates the depth of the Pac-12.

These two guards really have a lot of similarities. Both of them are lightning quick and have the ability to create their own shot.

I was surprised at how poorly McDonald is shooting the 3-pointer so far this season. While her overall shooting is superior to Dean she really hasn't found her stroke from beyond the 3-point line. Dean has a better assist to turnover margin while MacDonald following Barnes philosophy of ball-hawking has 10 more steals.
Stat. Dean. MacDonald
FG per cent. 39. 50
3 point per cent. 33 23
Assists 60 46
Steals. 18 28
Marquee? No, I love your passion for your home state team but let's not get carried away that an AZ-UCLA game is a Marquee game on Jan 5. Arizona is trying to prove it is relevant for the first time in a long long long time, if ever and UCLA is trying to be considered one of the Elite Pac12 teams, not an after thought from Oregon, OSU and Stanford.
Let's not get too crazy on the hype.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sorry @DefenseBB , I'm going to have to overrule you. :) Arizona @ UCLA is the best matchup of the opening weekend of Pac 12 play by a wide margin. I would call it a marquee game. A battle of 2 unbeatens (well that is pending tonight's action of course) jockeying for position in the conference race right out of the gate.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Sorry @DefenseBB , I'm going to have to overrule you. :) Arizona @ UCLA is the best matchup of the opening weekend of Pac 12 play by a wide margin. I would call it a marquee game. A battle of 2 unbeatens (well that is pending tonight's action of course) jockeying for position in the conference race right out of the gate.
Ok, so "marquee" in terms of opening weekend of PAC12...in 10 PM eastern time zone...southwest of the Rockies...Ok, so yes, I agree with you then-Marquee... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
USC had no answer for MacDonald last night. In her 38 minutes MacDonald's scored 24 points had six rebounds, 5 steals and 8 turnovers.

By comparison Dean dominated ASU in 35 minutes with 23 points, 5 assists and 3 turnovers.

Clearly recovery will be important for both players and teams anticipating Sunday afternoon's contest.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
McDonald has some kind of a leg issue going on last night that hopefully was cramping or the fact she got kneed during a rebound. If it is something else that has her at lest than full strength, AZ could be in trouble. UCLA has the better athletes and the coaching is equal in this game. Both Adia Barnes and Close are still learning on the job how to best scheme and prepare but both are exciting teams with one an established top 25 annual fixture and the other hoping to be...

Reaction Score
I agree with another thread it says this is the game of the day. The ASU Sun Devils have lost to both team so far getting beat by the Arizona Wildcats at home and losing to UCLA Monday night.

Of the two guards Aari McDonald gave the Devils all kinds of fits in limited minutes. If she plays at the level she did Friday night I think she can carry the Wildcats to victory over the Bruins on the road.

It's interesting that McDonald hasn't received the same attention as other guards this year. I'm beginning to wonder if part of it is due to the late schedule played by the Pac-12. I know the criticisms of weak schedule but it sure seems to me that her game deserves more acclaim.

I can't believe that this game is not on a national broadcast. The Pac-12 network has chosen to broadcast Utah Oregon. There's really no way in my mind but the powers-that-be in Larry Scott's office could have made that decision. Even coming into the season if broadcast were set that far ahead it was clear that the game in Westwood will be much more important and entertaining then the one in Oregon.

This is just one minor example of the miscues made by both the Pac-12 network and Larry Scott.

Aari MacDonald and Dean are the kind of players that you want to put on a national stage to reflect back on your conference. I know Oregon is a national champion contender but they've received their share so far of exposure.

Reaction Score

Before tip off the BY has UCLA winning with two-thirds of those voting projecting MacDonald out playing Dean.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree with another thread it says this is the game of the day. I also agree this is THE PAC-12 game of the day, but Oregon is an elite team and that's who the TV audience wants to see. ... It's interesting that McDonald hasn't received the same attention as other guards this year. I'm beginning to wonder if part of it is due to the late schedule played by the Pac-12. Ionescu is receiving all kinds of attention and she is part of the same schedule ???

I can't believe that this game is not on a national broadcast. The Pac-12 network has chosen to broadcast Utah Oregon. There's really no way in my mind but the powers-that-be in Larry Scott's office could have made that decision. Even coming into the season if broadcast were set that far ahead it was clear that the game in Westwood will be much more important and entertaining then the one in Oregon.

This is just one minor example of the miscues made by both the Pac-12 network and Larry Scott.

Aari MacDonald and Dean are the kind of players that you want to put on a national stage to reflect back on your conference. I know Oregon is a national champion contender but they've received their share so far of exposure.
In any case I'm driving down to Tucson next Sunday to see both McDonald and Ionescu. I did the same thing last year and UofA gave the Ducks a great game. And they should be better this year (although Oregon looked REALLY good the other day against CO. Plus last year the Ducks may have been looking past AZ - won't be this year.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom