Aaliyah/Alyssa Effect | The Boneyard

Aaliyah/Alyssa Effect

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As CT Sun season ticket members, we joke about the AT (Alyssa Thomas) effect... players getting in AT's area tend to "fall down" a lot. I think UConn has a similar phenomenon going with Aaliyah (the AE effect?) :p.

As a physically dominant post player, you could do worse than being compared to AT.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As CT Sun season ticket members, we joke about the AT (Alyssa Thomas) effect... players getting in AT's area tend to "fall down" a lot. I think UConn has a similar phenomenon going with Aaliyah (the AE effect?) :p.

As a physically dominant post player, you could do worse than being compared to AT.
However, Aaliyah isn't (yet) as good at hiding her handiwork. When she makes contact, everyone in the arena (not very many people lately, I realize) knows that she did. Alyssa Thomas has learned to do it so that it looks like the opponent has just lost her balance while shooting or driving.

But I agree with you that they are similar players. Similar enough, in fact, that the Aaliyah / Olivia combination could be a pretty good college-level replication of the Jonquel Jones / AT effect that the Sun had during the 2019 season.

Reaction Score
Using your legs (thighs), back, shoulders to get position rather than arms. Arms=fouls
Take another step, pivot and move people out of the way with the lower body in particular. + stay on balance.
Usually off balance comes from reaching and the head (heavy) goes with the arms. Ref sees off-balance reach foul.

Reaction Score
Creighton was falling like straws in a wind storm. And refs know who the freshmen are. It will take time to learn to avoid fouls but even if her minutes are limited 15 tough & productive minutes will really help.

Reaction Score
Creighton was falling like straws in a wind storm. And refs know who the freshmen are. It will take time to learn to avoid fouls but even if her minutes are limited 15 tough & productive minutes will really help.

Agreed, the girl from Creighton literally hurt herself last night because she flopped too hard trying to sell a foul against Edwards and hit the back of her head on floor.

psconn

Reaction Score
Agreed, the girl from Creighton literally hurt herself last night because she flopped too hard trying to sell a foul against Edwards and hit the back of her head on floor.

Take another look. At 1:51 in the 2nd.... Aaliyah clipped the Blue Jay on the side of the face with a right elbow as AE was forcing her arm through to get front position in the lane. The Jay player goes down holding the side of her face and is not in position to hit the back of her head on the floor. She shakily goes to the bench still holding the side of her head. What the call should have been I'll leave up to the refs, but I was happy it was only a common foul.

Reaction Score
Take another look. At 1:51 in the 2nd.... Aaliyah clipped the Blue Jay on the side of the face with a right elbow as AE was forcing her arm through to get front position in the lane. The Jay player goes down holding the side of her face and is not in position to hit the back of her head on the floor. She shakily goes to the bench still holding the side of her head. What the call should have been I'll leave up to the refs, but I was happy it was only a common foul.

You got it right but it was obvious that the Creightons were instructed to body up close and to over react to any bumps. Edwards had her hands up over her head and her elbows were not extended when she turned, it was the defender putting her face right up behind Edwards that caused the contact. These are just things freshmen have to learn.

psconn

Reaction Score
You got it right but it was obvious that the Creightons were instructed to body up close and to over react to any bumps. Edwards had her hands up over her head and her elbows were not extended when she turned, it was the defender putting her face right up behind Edwards that caused the contact. These are just things freshmen have to learn.
Yup, that's why it was just a common. AE will learn. She's gonna be a really good one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom