AAC Tournament Bracketology | The Boneyard

AAC Tournament Bracketology

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
looking ahead..

we're 7th in the league right now, which means we'd play the 10th seed Tulsa with the winner getting Cincinnati in the quarter finals. Bracket looks something like this right now:

First Round

(8) SMU
(9) Wichita State (1pm ESPNU)

(5) USF
(12) Tulane (3pm ESPNU)

(7) UConn
(10) Tulsa (8pm ESPNU)

(6) Memphis
(11) ECU (10pm ESPNU)

Second Round

(1) Houston vs (8) SMU/(9) Wichita St (Noon ESPN2)

(4) UCF vs (5) USF/(12) Tulane (2pm ESPN2)

(2) Cincinnati vs (7) UConn/(10) Tulsa (7pm ESPNU)

(3) Temple vs (6) Memphis/(11) ECU (9pm ESPNU)

we need to avoid the 8/9 death trap that we're flirting with right now, whether that means winning more or losing more. Only chance at it is to get Jalen healthy again and go through the 2 seed side, although I think UCF is beyond beatable if we line up against them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...don't worry, when we lose the rest of our games, we will definitely be out of the dreaded 8/9 game :)

Reaction Score
I don't know how you broke down tie-breakers but there's very little separation right now except at the top and the bottom. Houston/Cincy are both 9-1. UConn is in a 3-way tie at 4-6, but Memphis is just 5-5 and Tulsa is 3-7. Everyone still has 8 or 9 games left. Long way to go.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
I don't know how you broke down tie-breakers but there's very little separation right now except at the top and the bottom. Houston/Cincy are both 9-1. UConn is in a 3-way tie at 4-6, but Memphis is just 5-5 and Tulsa is 3-7. Everyone still has 8 or 9 games left. Long way to go.

yeah the 10 or 11 seed is a lot more likely for us

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Anything but the 8/9 seed.
So help me if we have to play in the middle of the day on day 1 and then midday day 2 against Houston.

6/7/10/11 is what we want.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
you are right. I updated the above post to reflect the conference standings from the conference website: American Athletic Conference - 2018-19 Men's Basketball Standings

Reaction Score
There are calculations on our slot going on for the AAC tournament this year? Holy Hannah.

Reaction Score
If we win at Memphis tomorrow, we move up to the 6 seed.

If we lose, we move down to the 10 seed.

Reaction Score
Seeing UCF as a 4th seed doesn't sit well in my mind

Reaction Score
Updated (3/4/2019):

1st Round: Game One: (8) USF v.s. (9) UConn
Game Two: (5) Memphis v.s. (12) Tulane
Game Three: (7) Tulsa v.s. (10) SMU
Game Four: (6) Witcha State v.s. 11 (ECU)

Quarterfinals: Winner of Game One vs. (1) Houston
Winner of Game Two v.s. (4) Temple
Winner of Game Three v.s. (2) Cincinnati
Winner of Game Four v.s. (3) UCF

A couple of things at note:

UConn and SMU currently are tied for the 9th spot, but UConn currently has the tiebreaker since they beat a higher ranked team (Witchia State). SMU finishes @Houston and @South Florida, so most likely we will be the 9 seed even if we don't win another game.

If USF wins out (@Tulane, home to SMU) and Tulsa loses their remaining game (@Memphis), Tulsa would be the 8 seed, and USF the 7 seed.

Houston is currently the No. 1 seed with its win over Cincinnati earlier in the year. But these teams play @Cincinnati this Sunday. If things hold where they are at now, that game will be for the American championship. Cincinnati could lose @UCF this week, and still get the No. 1 seed if they beat Houston this weekend, as they would have the tiebreaker (their victory over Temple). I would much rather play Cincinnati than Houston if we advance to the Quarters.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Updated (3/4/2019):

UConn and SMU currently are tied for the 9th spot, but UConn currently has the tiebreaker since they beat a higher ranked team (Witchia State). SMU finishes @Houston and @South Florida, so most likely we will be the 9 seed even if we don't win another game.

If USF wins out (@Tulane, home to SMU) and Tulsa loses their remaining game (@Memphis), Tulsa would be the 8 seed, and USF the 7 seed.

Houston is currently the No. 1 seed with its win over Cincinnati earlier in the year. But these teams play @Cincinnati this Sunday. If things hold where they are at now, that game will be for the American championship. Cincinnati could lose @UCF this week, and still get the No. 1 seed if they beat Houston this weekend, as they would have the tiebreaker (their victory over Temple). I would much rather play Cincinnati than Houston if we advance to the Quarters.

just like in the ncaa tourney you’d rather be the 10 than the 9.

Reaction Score
If we thought we had a real shot to win the AAC, seeding would be important. I would like us to finish about .500 and get something in the the postseason to give our younger guys some exposure to hopefully help build for next year.

Reaction Score
Updated (3/4/2019):

So the only real scenario where we don’t play USF in an 8-9 game is them winning 2 and Tulsa losing, right? If USF goes 1-1 and both finish 8-10, Tulsa gets the 7 seed on head to head tiebreaker?

Reaction Score
So the only real scenario where we don’t play USF in an 8-9 game is them winning 2 and Tulsa losing, right? If USF goes 1-1 and both finish 8-10, Tulsa gets the 7 seed on head to head tiebreaker?
Correct.

Reaction Score
Of course we are going to win the AAC tourney & make the NCAA but in the off chance we don't & we miss the NIT invite do we bother with the CBI or CIT tourneys (assuming they still exist)?

I have mixed feelings about it, especially with thin roster & AG shoulder that the bad might outweigh the good........I would say NCAA / NIT or nothing but some teams that are good now did participate in the CBI in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course we are going to win the AAC tourney & make the NCAA but in the off chance we don't & we miss the NIT invite do we bother with the CBI or CIT tourneys (assuming they still exist)?

I have mixed feelings about it, especially with thin roster & AG shoulder that the bad might outweigh the good...I would say NCAA / NIT or nothing but some teams that are good now did participate in the past.

Anytime you can continue playing only helps returning players.

Reaction Score
do we bother with the CBI or CIT tourneys (assuming they still exist)?
The CBI costs $50K. Georgetown, Maryland, Tulsa, SMU and VCU all refused. We'd be the biggest name to ever accept.

The CIT is geared towards mid-majors.

I'd expect we'd decline both.

The NIT is probably our only option, which means we better finish the regular season 16-15 and then win probably 2 games in the AAC to get to 18-16. Even then we'd probably get passed over. Making the AAC finals is probably the only way we're playing in a post-season tournament, and at that point might as well win the whole thing...

Reaction Score
Is there any way we get the 10 seed?
SMU has to finish with a better conference record for them to jump us and push us back to 10. So if SMU goes 2-0 or 1-1, while we go 0-2, then yes we would be the 10.

But keep in mind SMU finishes @ Houston, and @ USF. Don't see them beating Houston, and quite frankly South Florida either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom