AAC RPI Report January 8 2018 | The Boneyard

AAC RPI Report January 8 2018

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

is this good?

Reaction Score

is this good?

No, no it ain't. Not for us or anyone. Looking like a two bid league. Am I crazy or were people talking about the AAC potentially getting in 3 or more? Certainly we haven't helped with that, at all.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Good for AAC to have 6 in the top 68 (Although that'll surely change drastically).

122 is not good. Unless we magically win the next 3 and then beat Nova.

Reaction Score
I reviewed the BPI from ESPN and it was much better for the conference but much worse for UConn

Reaction Score
I think whatever team finishes 3rd in the AAC regular season will get into the tournament, so long as they haven't absolutely choked in OOC/conference tournament.

Other leagues around the country are down this year too, it's not just us. Wichita State and Cincy are as close to locks as the AAC has had in some time.

Reaction Score
I think whatever team finishes 3rd in the AAC regular season will get into the tournament, so long as they haven't absolutely choked in OOC/conference tournament.

Other leagues around the country are down this year too, it's not just us. Wichita State and Cincy are as close to locks as the AAC has had in some time.
CBB as a whole is down this year. That's what makes our situation so frustrating. Plenty of games to be won against bad teams and we're just worse.

Reaction Score
With losses to ranked teams (or will be ranked) like Auburn, Arkansas, Wichita St., Michigan St., Arizona, and a mediocre loss to Syracuse, I should think we'd be better off than some of those teams.

Tulane? They have losses to UNC and Florida St. But also Georgia State? Ugh. And Tulsa, like UConn.

Temple has losses to Cincy, Tulane, Houston, Georgia, UCF, Villanova, George Washington, Lasalle. But they have good wins like Clemson and Auburn. Their Wisky win is the equivalent of UConn's Oregon win.

When you look at this, you see a much bigger reward for playing teams that are not at the very top of the rankings. Play more teams that are 25-75. Temple has MORE losses and more BAD losses than UConn does. For Tulane, you schedule 2 tough games and win against cupcakes.

So their RPI is higher.

I guess I'm just scratching my head here as to how this can be.

Reaction Score
No, no it ain't. Not for us or anyone. Looking like a two bid league. Am I crazy or were people talking about the AAC potentially getting in 3 or more? Certainly we haven't helped with that, at all.

3 at the minimum. SMU's pretty much a lock.

Most of the conference in the Top 100 is good.

As has been said, Memphis and UConn need to join that Top 100, but with there being a lot of roster turnover in both this year, that process isn't far enough along yet.

USF and ECU just fired their coaches. They made the biggest decision they had to. Now they need to do the work.

Reaction Score
UConn is currently at:

146 in Kenpom (right behind Georgia State, currently 5th in the Sun Belt standings).

172 in BPI (just behind Canisius, currently 3rd in the MAAC).

We are several standard deviations away from the at-large discussion regardless of how you measure it. The only question is whether there are roughly 75 or 125 other teams ahead of us for the last NCAA bid.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
FWIW Lunardi currently has 4 AAC teams in (Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU, Tulsa) and Houston as his "second team out" although Tulsa is only in because they are technically in first place in the AAC and therefore have the "auto bid" in his bracket.

Reaction Score
FWIW Lunardi currently has 4 AAC teams in (Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU, Tulsa) and Houston as his "second team out" although Tulsa is only in because they are technically in first place in the AAC and therefore have the "auto bid" in his bracket.

Well that will update soon as Tulsa is no longer leading the conference. I think Houston or UCF could fight it out for a 4th spot as long as neither accumulates bad losses. The Big 10 and Pac 12 are really down this year, so there are bids to be had. Houston has one bad loss (Drexel) with a win over Arkansas.

The Pac 12 has two locks (AZ, AZ State), with a few other teams with an OK shot (UCLA, Washington, USC)
The Big 10 has two locks (MSU, Purdue), a likely tourney team (Michigan) and a few other teams with an OK shot (Ohio State, Minnesota)

Those conferences aren't getting 5.

The committee is using the new "quadrants" this year, with quadrant one being the best.

The Big 10 has 2 teams with 2 or more Q1 wins (Purdue, Indiana - but Indiana has a ton of losses and some bad ones)
The AAC has 3 teams with 2 or more Q1 wins (Cincy, Temple (not getting in -- too many losses), Houston)

Reaction Score
Something to keep in mind for RPI:

Generally stronger conference teams RPIs improve from this time of year forward as their schedules get stronger. So someone like Houston or UCF at RPI mid-50s, they're like to get down to the 30s or 40s if they keep winning, which would probably be enough for a bid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom