AAC > PAC-12 | The Boneyard

AAC > PAC-12

Reaction Score
Hope this is not meant to make us feel good as they label it “the dreadful PAC 12”. What also would be nice if someday we were one of the better teams in our conference. Never would have guessed that we wouldn’t be the cream of the conference every year once we joined, the way Louisville and Memphis were for Conference USA way back.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Hope this is not meant to make us feel good as they label it “the dreadful PAC 12”. What also would be nice if someday we were one of the better teams in our conference. Never would have guessed that we wouldn’t be the cream of the conference every year once we joined, the way Louisville and Memphis were for Conference USA way back.
lmao louisville and memphis being the cream of Conference USA

Reaction Score
Based on the trajectory of the AAC I fully expect them to jump over the Big East in the next 1-2 years. The Big East is a sinking ship that’s going to continue in a downward trajectory. The AAC has a very good group of coaches that are now starting to bring in some serious recruits. It should translate into more prestige and more ranked teams for the conference.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Changing the AAC logo would be a start. The logo is dreadful. It looks like something they came up with and threw together last minute. A 5 year old can design a better logo. Prestige sometimes starts with branding.

Reaction Score
Based on the trajectory of the AAC I fully expect them to jump over the Big East in the next 1-2 years. The Big East is a sinking ship that’s going to continue in a downward trajectory. The AAC has a very good group of coaches that are now starting to bring in some serious recruits. It should translate into more prestige and more ranked teams for the conference.

Eh, Tulane and ECU are going to keep killing the conference overall ranking unless they step way up. The top and mid may be similar but the BE has a higher floor, which is what is raising them well above the American right now. Their worst team is a +5.7 on KenPom. The AAC's worst is a -12.

Reaction Score
Changing the AAC logo would be a start. The logo is dreadful. It looks like something they came up with and threw together last minute. A 5 year old can design a better logo. Prestige sometimes starts with branding.

We need Houston to make the Final 4 or Championship game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Branding definitely needs to be revisited. Specifically, they need to stop pushing the "Power 6" narrative. Those commercials make me cringe almost as hard as the one where UConn calls NYC "its own backyard".

I get the AAC wants to separate itself from the other mid-major conferences, but that has to be done on the court and not in a marketing campaign. If anything, it reeks of desperation for approval, which media execs can smell from 100 miles away when they go to renegotiate the TV deal.

Reaction Score
Branding definitely needs to be revisited. Specifically, they need to stop pushing the "Power 6" narrative. Those commercials make me cringe almost as hard as the one where UConn calls NYC "its own backyard".

I get the AAC wants to separate itself from the other mid-major conferences, but that has to be done on the court and not in a marketing campaign. If anything, it reeks of desperation for approval, which media execs can smell from 100 miles away when they go to renegotiate the TV deal.

Agreed. Branding means nothing if you have no on court accomplishments by your teams in the tournament, especially last year's relatively strong representatives who busted badly, and no runs deep into the tournament since 2014.

Some people cringed when the league formed in the late 70's chose the name "Big East". It smacked of copycatting the Big Ten, etc. when at that point there was nothing Big about the East except dreams.........that did come true, so maybe it will again with the AAC.

Reaction Score

It's mid-90s clip art. Everything about this conference stinks.

Reaction Score

Cue Zissou.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Leaving travel aside, I'd kill to be in the PAC12. They absolutely stink at basketball right now, and still get more cred.

Reaction Score
Yeah Cincinnati absolutely dominated C-USA until they left. Then Memphis took over.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope so and pluck some teams for our league.

Reaction Score
Not sure what's funny about Lville and Memphis. But what is funny and sad is that Uconn can not be cream of crop in AAC. Sigh

Reaction Score

Agree 100%.

With dudes like Akok and Wiseman coming in, Dan Hurley’s words to Penny foreshadow those two teams (UConn & Memphis) ascending (along with the Shockers and Gregg Marshall) up the leader board of an already solid group.

ESPN has set the bar at 7 Major conferences. I strongly suspect the AAC will be looking down at more than just one other next season.

Even Tulane just landed a Top 100 2020 recruit, and Dooley at ECU is laying a solid foundation by getting Chill & Steve Roccaforte on the bench next to him, while they’re building a roster around Jayden Gardner.

People who hate on the logo are pathetic. LOL It’s a block A with a star. What do you want, a coat of arms? Do you want it in italic? Lmao The logo is solid. If that’s the burr under your saddle then things are gelling in a good way. The commercial is sugary but it’s counter-hegemonic. (It’s doing it’s job) It’s designed to extol the achievements of teams and alumni and be up front about it. I don’t mind seeing Keenan Reynolds and Ed Oliver on the regular. When you’re fighting for a TV deal you can’t let your PR wing go dark.

Reaction Score

Hey, the AAC already has a men’s BB Champion, repeat Women’s BB champion, multiple New Years 6 Football Bowl wins... AND IT HASNT MATTERED, because the cartel doesn’t want it to matter. System is Rigged.

Reaction Score
What concerns me are teams poaching the AAC coaches, especially with top programs potentially opening up soon. Not too worried about penny, Hurley or Sampson. But not as convinced Cronin and Marshall who we need to keep. Will also be nice to keep Dawkins, Dooley (who ecu needs) and jankovich (IMO, very underrated coach. Been playing with injuried teams and loss of scholarships but still does decent). The rest other teams can have :)

Hopefully there is a little more stability than football

Reaction Score
What concerns me are teams poaching the AAC coaches, especially with top programs potentially opening up soon. Not too worried about penny, Hurley or Sampson. But not as convinced Cronin and Marshall who we need to keep. Will also be nice to keep Dawkins, Dooley (who ecu needs) and jankovich (IMO, very underrated coach. Been playing with injuried teams and loss of scholarships but still does decent). The rest other teams can have :)

I think Sampson is the most likely to jump. Marshall is very high-end in pay and would need a ridiculous offer to leave (especially considering no one was able to pull him from WSU when they were in the MVC.) Penny and Cronin aren't going anywhere, they're at their alma maters which are both very good jobs.

Reaction Score
I think Sampson is the most likely to jump. Marshall is very high-end in pay and would need a ridiculous offer to leave (especially considering no one was able to pull him from WSU when they were in the MVC.) Penny and Cronin aren't going anywhere, they're at their alma maters which are both very good jobs.

Anything is possible but I would be surprised if Sampson left Houston. He’s in his 60s and his whole family works for the school (and former players). He can ask Tilman Fertitta for anything he wants, and the NBA team he coached for (which is owned by Fertitta) has players going to his games in a brand new arena, which has been selling out.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Anything is possible but I would be surprised if Sampson left Houston. He’s in his 60s and his whole family works for the school (and former players). He can ask Tilman Fertitta for anything he wants, and the NBA team he coached for (which is owned by Fertitta) has players going to his games in a brand new arena, which has been selling out.

The coaching poaching in football is way more of a stunt to the growth of the conference than the basketball coaches. The AAC needs to figure out a way to keep top coaches who keep leaving. Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to get coaches to stay unless the NCAA expands the playoff and AAC is guaranteed a spot / has a favorable system in place that give AAC a good shot at getting in on a yearly basis. These top football coaches want to compete for a national title, something they currently can't do in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Meh. My initial reaction to the P6 campaign was that it ranked up there with Red Pants' Civil ConFLiCT. (Hmm was Diaco JaCkSoN?) But now I think it has raised the notion that we are tweener between the P5 and the G5 into the public consciousness. Hell the P5 was just a made up label as well. I think it is effective branding, personally.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Everything I know about Marshall points to him being a lifer at WSU imo. He's the Few of that school. The family is so embedded in that community it's like a family. And they take care of him.

I expect him to retire someday and be given a top administrative position/seat on the board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom