NCAA (3 Teams)
Cincinnati (2 seed)
Wichita State (4 seed)
Houston (6 seed)

NIT (1 Team)
Temple (5 seed)

CBI (TBA)
Field TBA

Temple finished 7th in the AAC -- so far, Tulsa (4th), UCF (5th), and Memphis (6th) have all been passed over.

By RPI, Temple was the fourth best team in the AAC, but I still though Tulsa would grab an NIT bid.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Updated -- CBI bracket is in:

NCAA (3 Teams)

Cincinnati (2 seed)
Wichita State (4 seed)
Houston (6 seed)

NIT (1 Team)

Temple (5 seed)

CBI (No Teams)
--

It's possible/likely Tulsa, maybe Memphis and/or UCF, declined CBI bids? Regardless, across the breadth of postseason play, only 4 AAC teams will be involved.

Reaction Score
Really shocked. I thought a 21 win Memphis team would be a shoe in for the nit. Same with tulsa, 4th in the aac. UCF, I figured would at least get a cbi or CIT invite.

Reaction Score
NIT field was hurt vastly by all the regular season champions losing in conference tournaments and thus getting automatic bids. Usually there's a handful of those teams, but this year 12/32 bids were automatic bids.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Updated -- CBI bracket is in:

NCAA (3 Teams)

Cincinnati (2 seed)
Wichita State (4 seed)
Houston (6 seed)

NIT (1 Team)

Temple (5 seed)

CBI (No Teams)
--

It's possible/likely Tulsa, maybe Memphis and/or UCF, declined CBI bids? Regardless, across the breadth of postseason play, only 4 AAC teams will be involved.

There are 4 WAC teams in the CBI. It’s pretty safe to say few are interested in paying to play in that tournament.

UTRGV was like 16-19 and they are in.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Never realized the CBI and CIT were pay-t0-host! Saw it on "Tulsa World" (which, incidentally, if you need to know anything about Tulsa women's softball, has you covered), and the prices to host are crazy.
Tulsa World said:
If one was extended, TU was unlikely to accept an invitation to the College Basketball Invitational, which the Hurricane won in its inaugural year in 2008, or any of the other pay-to-play options. In the past, teams that hosted CBI games paid $35,000 for the first round, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $75,000 for the semifinals.

By my math, the CBI clears over 700k on just pay-t0-host alone, let alone any TV package, share of tickets, what have you.

If "The Boneyard" ever runs into financial straits, we're a "Boneyyard 8" away from putting the site on perpetually stable ground ...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sounds like the cradle of coaches lost a good one tonight. Southern gentleman Tubby Smith shown the door.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
where was tulsa/memphis?

Tulsa and Memphis no postseason? That’s unbelievable

Really shocked. I thought a 21 win Memphis team would be a shoe in for the nit. Same with tulsa, 4th in the aac. UCF, I figured would at least get a cbi or CIT invite.

Can you believe the NIT leaving out the 161st best team in the country?

The nerve. East coast bias.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for Tulsa I think Quincy called their time of death when they lost to Illinois State twice in 15 days.

He showed a lot of courage not declaring their season DOA when they opened by losing to Lamar.

They had 1 top 80 KP win - hard to pass up that resume for sure.

Reaction Score
Some just didn't make it.

Oklahoma State beat one seed Kansas twice, had 19 wins with a 55 SOS and an RPI of 88...and did not make the cut.

And Middle Tennessee...24-7, RPI of 33....but lacked marqee wins...

Their coach summed it up......

“We did exactly what the selection committee wanted us to do,” Davis said. “We did everything we possibly could. Of course, we’d like to have more wins (the Blue Raiders lost one-possession games to Auburn, USC and Miami). At our level, it’s trying to be literally perfect. …It is a tough world we live in (as a mid-major conference member). It’s a grind for us because you cannot slip up one bit. You lose just one game to a C-USA team and then all the pundits put us out.”

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
As for Tulsa I think Quincy called their time of death when they lost to Illinois State twice in 15 days.

He showed a lot of courage not declaring their season DOA when they opened by losing to Lamar.

They had 1 top 80 KP win - hard to pass up that resume for sure.

Nobody's arguing that Tulsa belonged in the NCAA -- just that the lack of NIT bid is a surprise and unfortunate for the conference. It would have been nice if they had split with Illinois State (the number 2 team in an MVC that finished as the #8 conference -- just below the American at 7th), but Tulsa crushed Temple in their season finale. @Slasher is right about the auto-bids and how it shaped this year's NIT, freezing out "worthy" teams, and had Tulsa taken care of Memphis in the AAC quarters, they'd probably still be playing.

Ultimately, I think we'd all like to get to a place where a fourth place AAC team who goes 12-6 in conference is a tournament lock. Unfortunately, right now, that doesn't even get you an NIT bid.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You need to win out of conference.

Tulsa’s best win was K State.

Memphis’s best win wasn’t a real team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody's arguing that Tulsa belonged in the NCAA -- just that the lack of NIT bid is a surprise and unfortunate for the conference. It would have been nice if they had split with Illinois State (the number 2 team in an MVC that finished as the #8 conference -- just below the American at 7th), but Tulsa crushed Temple in their season finale. @Slasher is right about the auto-bids and how it shaped this year's NIT, freezing out "worthy" teams, and had Tulsa taken care of Memphis in the AAC quarters, they'd probably still be playing.

Ultimately, I think we'd all like to get to a place where a fourth place AAC team who goes 12-6 in conference is a tournament lock. Unfortunately, right now, that doesn't even get you an NIT bid.

Tulsa wasn’t deserving of anything. It’s that simple. What place someone finished in their league isn’t part of anyone’s at large criteria.

There are a bunch of teams between the NIT cut line and Tulsa.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
When the CBI first started you'd see an occasional major conference team but now it is exclusively a mid-major tournament. Believe I heard Aresco say the AAC will no longer participate. It's either NCAA's or NIT.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Temple blew a lead late and got knocked out of the NIT by Penn State last night.

Houston has a tough go tonight against SDSU --7:20 on TBS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom