AAC holding 5m payment in escrow | The Boneyard

AAC holding 5m payment in escrow

Reaction Score
AAC holding $5 million UConn conference distribution payment in escrow as part of exit fee

>>As UConn finalizes its departure from the American Athletic Conference, the league is holding about $5 million in escrow to help cover the school’s exit fee, a UConn spokesman said Friday.

That $5 million represents a large portion of UConn’s 2019 conference revenue, which includes money from the league’s TV deal, bowl payouts and the NCAA basketball fund.<<

Reaction Score
total (not mad) move

This is actually not a boneheaded move on their part. However, stuff like this, combined with Aresco’s totally no angry public comments all add up to not looking too good if this should end up being in court.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is actually not a boneheaded move on their part. However, stuff like this, combined with Aresco’s totally no angry public comments all add up to not looking too good if this should end up being in court.

I’m sure the contracts say they do it. Every league has done it. Just funny.

Reaction Score
This is a pretty heavy handed move given that no exit timing has been negotiated. According to an older Courant article, UConn was required to pay $2.5 million upon notice of withdrawal, so I could see the argument for keeping $2.5 million in escrow and negotiate that this is the $2.5 million required upon notice.

Technically, UConn has to stay in the AAC for 27 months after the notice of withdrawal. So, if the AAC was giving UConn $5 million per year, there are still some $10 million+ in payments still due UConn by the AAC if they leave the conference according to league bylaws.

All that said, I have no idea what is in the AAC bylaws, but if it was not legally spelled what the timing of exit payments are or that the AAC could withhold payment, this is another spiteful mistake by Aresco.

Reaction Score
According to an older Courant article, UConn was required to pay $2.5 million upon notice of withdrawal, so I could see the argument for keeping $2.5 million in escrow and negotiate that this is the $2.5 million required upon notice.

UConn already sent the first installment of the exit fee ($2.5m) w/ the withdrawal letter on July 1.

Reaction Score
AAC can’t wait till UConn leaves as we drag down SOS and RPI yet they pull spiteful crap (like a kid).

Reaction Score
AAC can’t wait till UConn leaves as we drag down SOS and RPI yet they pull spiteful crap (like a kid).
Golden rule, he who has the gold rules. If the exit terms are $10mm and you can hold half of that up front, hold it until someone says you can’t.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see how the FB season plays out Nell. There were teams that could have put 100 up on us last year. I hope we are ready and improved. After the Temple game last year when HCRE and the Temple coach shook hands the Temple coach and a member of his staff were cracking up after HCRE left. Temple has a new coach now but I think we have to be ready for "no prisoners" from AAC opponents.

Reaction Score
It is spiteful because the AAC knows it is taking a big hit with UConn leaving. UConn football had some very bad years but the conference is G5. UCF wasn't seeing the championship with or without UConn on its schedule.

Reaction Score
Let's get this show over. I want Big East basketball and take my chances building a fun independent schedule.

I really wish there was a dislike button, so I could slap a dislike on this.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really wish there was a dislike button, so I could slap a dislike on this.
Well you get at least one more year of AAC glory....perhaps two or even three. Dont spend your time here moaning, get out there and soak it up!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Whatever expedites this
And this might do exactly that if the American bylaws don’t allow for the withholding of payments during the 27 month exit period. Connecticut could argue that the AAC has breached it’s a contract with us and that we will be damaged further unless we are allowed to leave.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does this mean we can start scheduling for 2020?
I feel like its pretty much a lock we are playing AAC football in 2020. Aresco (not mad) is not returning phone calls, holding tight to the bylaws - wont even talk to the school.

Btw, under the new media deal all the schools need to pay for part of the production costs of the Newport media days next week. I hear Sunday schools will be putting up the tent, setting tables, prepping the food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom