AAC has 5th most players drafted | The Boneyard

AAC has 5th most players drafted

Reaction Score
Huge drop between 4 and 5 (63%) in terms of number of players and pretty close between 5 and 6.

Reaction Score
Big 12 will look even more stupid now for not expanding. Can't believe the ACC come out looking better than the Big 12, but should have seen that coming with the Big 12 only adding TCU and WVU.

What's crazy is the AAC's upside in football is actually big. The Big 12 does have Tom Herman now, though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Once Texas is back this will change. Let's not get too excited.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about Herman. Had one great season at Houston and one good and yet underachieving season. I'm turned off by a lot of his 'culture' bs but that's probably just my PTDD speaking (post traumatic diaco disorder)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about Herman. Had one great season at Houston and one good and yet underachieving season. I'm turned off by a lot of his 'culture' bs but that's probably just my PTDD speaking (post traumatic diaco disorder)
Watching him kiss all his players was one of the more cringe worthy experiences I think I've ever had.

Reaction Score
It's still a victory for a brand new conference struggling for acceptance and any moral victory this conference gets only helps UConn. Aresco is doing as good a job anyone could ask. As long as he keeps the AAC ahead of all other G-5 conferences and pushes for Big 12 type cash in the next TV negotiation, once again keeping the contract relatively short(5 years) so that the league isn't tied down while they steadily increase in competitiveness and popularity, then that's a safe step in the right direction. Five years later who knows...maybe they prove they are Power 5 material. But, in the mean time a small moral victory is still a victory. Now lets see UConn dominate this up and coming conference and at the same time lay claim to the very best non Power-5 school in the country.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's still a victory for a brand new conference struggling for acceptance and any moral victory this conference gets only helps UConn. Aresco is doing as good a job anyone could ask. As long as he keeps the AAC ahead of all other G-5 conferences and pushes for Big 12 type cash in the next TV negotiation, once again keeping the contract relatively short(5 years) so that the league isn't tied down while they steadily increase in competitiveness and popularity, then that's a safe step in the right direction. Five years later who knows...maybe they prove they are Power 5 material. But, in the mean time a small moral victory is still a victory. Now lets see UConn dominate this up and coming conference and at the same time lay claim to the very best non Power-5 school in the country.

Short of adding Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Lame and Penn State, the AAC never has been, isn't, and never will be remotely close to being considered a P5 conference. That's a pipe dream.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Big 12 = OUCH!

Maybe not so big

B12 should be doing better than the AAC, but all the conferences ahead of them have more teams. The law of averages partially explains their underachievment. Up against other P5 leagues with 12 to 14 teams gives those conferences an advantage over the B12 in a side-by-side numbers comparison such as this. However, they still ought to at least be able to beat out the AAC.

Reaction Score
2 things.

AAC proves its beyond the other 5 Exceeds expectation and is becoming a fun watch. At 1/7th the cost of the deals at B12 & ACC.

Somehow the TV revenue advances dramatically. Maybe not $26m per school ... But $10m a school is a huge increase. That's doable.

Reaction Score
Dodd was already spinning it for the B1G12 the other day ... from the NFL Draft Thread:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dodd was already spinning it for the B1G12 the other day ... from the NFL Draft Thread:

There is no way to spin this for the Big 12 - but let's not go crazy. The MAC was 4 players behind.

The Big 12 does suck though - I can't even being myself to watch that garbage and I follow NEC basketball.

Reaction Score
I guess that means we're now in the power 5. So long b12...

Reaction Score
Meh, players drafted per team still shows that the Big 12 is ahead. All the tabulation shows is that the AAC has more teams than the Big 12.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Meh, players drafted per team still shows that the Big 12 is ahead. All the tabulation shows is that the AAC has more teams than the Big 12.
BUT the B12 has the football name schools so their 10 should outshine the AACs 12 by a wide margin

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And this is a year which was average to below average for the AAC.

No cinderalla top 5 team, no BCS berth.

Drive the narrative by doing this year in and year out.

Reaction Score
If this is a meaningful metric, then Nova with 2 drafted players compares well with UConn and the AAC average?

Reaction Score
Surprised that no one is saying that the Big 12 doesn't deserve to be a P5 and there's only really a P4. It seems that would be what ESPN wants - one fewer conference to pay big money to. They should want the Big 12 teams be placed into the P4, pay the P4 conferences a little more (but less than what the Big 12 got) then it's the status quo with on payouts to 4 conferences.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If this is a meaningful metric, then Nova with 2 drafted players compares well with UConn and the AAC average?

If you're going down this road, then Kutztown (PA) and Texas have similar football programs. It's meaningful in it's aggregate but not so much in terms of a single schools performance in any given year.

Reaction Score
Barry Switzer on the Big 12's struggles: 'They don't get the talent Alabama gets'

>>Coming off the NFL Draft, the Big 12 is falling further behind the other Power 5 conferences, and Barry Switzer says it comes down to one thing: talent.

The league had just 14 draft picks this year. For comparison, the Group of Five AAC had 15 picks, and Michigan had 11 on its own. Switzer joined SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly and pointed to recruiting.

For example, Oklahoma was the only Big 12 team with a top-25 recruiting class this year. The next-closest P5 league was the ACC with four.

“They don’t recruit very well,” Switzer said. “Take an Iowa State, Kansas, they don’t get the blue-chip players. Someone said Alabama versus the Big 12, they had more NFL draft choices (in the first three rounds). No, they recruited them. It’s the talent you recruit. They don’t get the talent that Alabama gets. If they had them, they’d have been high draft choices.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom