AAC board uconn preview | The Boneyard

AAC board uconn preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

A decent read for a preview. I think. Once again, beating a dead horse, b/c we all know that discipline, accountability, and everything else was out the window - but the following from Coach D.

quote:

The care and cleanliness of the facility. The locker room, the player lounge, the hallways, the traffic in the building. It had basically become a free-for-all.

We had to raise the team's expectations and understanding of our expectations for how they treated things. We had to make a lot of changes for them in the building to help shine everything up so it became something respectable looking again. [...]

Right now, we're working to eliminate the things that cause losing. It's every day. Performance on the field is just a microcosm of lifestyle. That's what we're focused on -- changing the culture here for the football team. A lack of attention to detail, a lack of physical and mental conditioning, a lack of expectation and confidence due to poor preparation. Communication and presentation. Making sure we're operating at a high level there. And you're talking about inside the play, and you're talking about just in the day. It's all the same. I could name another 100 things that we've tried to inspect hard in these first few months. Everything that's being consumed in this facility.

unquote

No more entitlement culture in the UCONN football program. I can only imagine what the locker rooms and common areas looked like. I know what the product on the field looked like, so I can only imagine what the other stuff looked like.

Reaction Score
All I can say is thank heaven the deadly duo is gone and so happy that Diaco has cleaned things up . What the heck were they doing to collect their money? What a scam!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A decent read for a preview. I think. Once again, beating a dead horse, b/c we all know that discipline, accountability, and everything else was out the window - but the following from Coach D.

quote:

The care and cleanliness of the facility. The locker room, the player lounge, the hallways, the traffic in the building. It had basically become a free-for-all.

We had to raise the team's expectations and understanding of our expectations for how they treated things. We had to make a lot of changes for them in the building to help shine everything up so it became something respectable looking again. [...]

Right now, we're working to eliminate the things that cause losing. It's every day. Performance on the field is just a microcosm of lifestyle. That's what we're focused on -- changing the culture here for the football team. A lack of attention to detail, a lack of physical and mental conditioning, a lack of expectation and confidence due to poor preparation. Communication and presentation. Making sure we're operating at a high level there. And you're talking about inside the play, and you're talking about just in the day. It's all the same. I could name another 100 things that we've tried to inspect hard in these first few months. Everything that's being consumed in this facility.

unquote

No more entitlement culture in the UCONN football program. I can only imagine what the locker rooms and common areas looked like. I know what the product on the field looked like, so I can only imagine what the other stuff looked like.

Remember the good ole days when people would bag on Edsall for having a chart showing players how their lockers were to be set up? A location for shoes, books, belts, etc. Attention to detail. In everything the players do.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Remember the good ole days when people would bag on Edsall for having a chart showing players how their lockers were to be set up? A location for shoes, books, belts, etc. Attention to detail. In everything the players do.

Being in shape matters.

This stuff? I don't think the Raiders of the old days worried too much about this kinda stuff.

Reaction Score
Being in shape matters.

This stuff? I don't think the Raiders of the old days worried too much about this kinda stuff.

Well, Diaco thinks it is something to worry about. I'll take his opinion over yours.

Reaction Score
Being in shape matters.

The Raiders of old were also adults and professionals. Diaco is dealing with children that need to be taught how to become young men. These are good lessons for an 18 year old.

Reaction Score

quote:

unquote

I don't think it was necessarily entitlement, I thinks it related to 2 idiots who ruined the disciplined culture we had before.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was necessarily entitlement, I thinks it related to 2 idiots who ruined the disciplined culture we had before.

Those two idiots were gone by the end of September, Diaco didn't set foot into the facility until December. The players need to own what they did, learn from it, and make themselves and the team better.

The way things work at UCONN, we don't have the sports culture and environment and recruiting where we have stockpiles of athletes that can slack off all day long, and show up on game days and win. Until such time that someone comes in and proves otherwise, winning at division 1A football at UCONN - It's an all the time thing, at UCONN.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
The Raiders of old were also adults and professionals. Diaco is dealing with children that need to be taught how to become young men. These are good lessons for an 18 year old.

I agree. And I don't think there is anything wrong with it and it fits with Diaco's personality.

But i think a team with a messy locker room can win but an out-of-shape team? Not so much.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Well, Diaco thinks it is something to worry about. I'll take his opinion over yours.

Exactly.

He is running the program. He can run it anyway he wants. He is a neat freak and a control freak. Not bad things.

But not the only way to be successful.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you caught the HBO Sports special John Wooden: Wizzard of Westwood, You'll remember that his team could dress and wear their hair however they wanted, but if they'd shown up for the first practice in the fall without clean faces and hair no longer than 2 inches, they were not getting on the court. Obviously, if they were not on the court, they were not playing. Also he began each year with a lesson on the proper way to put on socks.

3. Is it true that you used to instruct your players on how to put on their shoes and socks before each game or practice?
Wooden:
Absolutely. I picked that up when I was teaching in high school. We had a lot of blisters, and I found out that a lot of the players didn't smooth out all the wrinkles around their heels and around their little toes, places where the blisters are apt to occur. Then I found out that they didn't lace their shoes properly and oftentimes they wore shoes that were a size too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom