Shawn Williams, G, ECU*

Reaction Score
2nd in scoring high in assists.

Statistically, he's the best.

UConn had a bad season though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That sucks.

I hope Jalen torches them all in the AAC tournament. Everyone on the team should have his back.

Congrats to Jalen. Being named to the second team while playing for the 8th Place team is still a great honor. The first team is all from the top 3 teams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Winning matters.

What happened last year?

JA should have been 1st team again this year - he had much better numbers than Shamet. As far as I'm concerned it was his seat until someone came up with better numbers and being #2 in scoring, it would be awfully hard.
It's BS but JA just has to shine during the AAC tourney..............................................

Also - is the asterisk by Clark's name a connotation of being player of the year? or repeat 1st team member?
If POY - that should go to Morris of WSU

CONGRATS JALEN - you are a super young man

Reaction Score
Winning matters.

What happened last year?

JA should have been 1st team again this year - he had much better numbers than Shamet. As far as I'm concerned it was his seat until someone came up with better numbers and being #2 in scoring, it would be awfully hard.
It's BS but JA just has to shine during the AAC tourney...........

Also - is the asterisk by Clark's name a connotation of being player of the year? or repeat 1st team member?

Asterisk means unanimous.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Asterisk means unanimous.
Thanks that clears it up
Yeah I can see why Clark was on everyone's ballot
But who wouldn't vote for Morris also?

Reaction Score
Winning matters.

What happened last year?

Eh, Shamet scored fewer points per game, but was a MUCH better shooter. Also, Shamet had more APG (but also had a lot more help around him.) So I can see why the coaches' voted that way.

Adams: 43.3% FG and 32.9% from 3.
Shamet: 48.6% FG and 44.0% from 3.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Just saw Gary Clark won DPOY and Sportsman of the year. Think he might sweep and get POY whenever it is announced. That's the power of winning since he only averages 12 points and 8 rebounds.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Just saw Gary Clark won DPOY and Sportsman of the year. Think he might sweep and get POY whenever it is announced. That's the power of winning since he only averages 12 points and 8 rebounds.

He's a great kid. Happy for him.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I understand why Jalen is second team. I do.
To the victor goes the spoils and it would be hard to make a case against any of those kids. If you reversed UConn and Houston’s records I bet you see gray and Jalen flip flopped. Same for Shamet for that matter.

It doesn’t change the fact he is easily one of the top 5 players in the league. Everyone knows this.

Let’s just have him back to win POY next year.

Reaction Score
I understand why Jalen is second team. I do.
To the victor goes the spoils and it would be hard to make a case against any of those kids. If you reversed UConn and Houston’s records I bet you see gray and Jalen flip flopped. Same for Shamet for that matter.

It doesn’t change the fact he is easily one of the top 5 players in the league. Everyone knows this.

Let’s just have him back to win POY next year.

If Jalen were actually a top 5 player in the league, we wouldn't be 4 games under .500 in said league. I think he has the talent, but he didn't produce this season at that level.

Jalen needed to hit a higher % of his 3's and get to the line more. He took less than 100 free throws despite his bread and butter being penetration. Of the 90 players in the country who took more of their team's shots when they were on the court than Adams (shot%), only 12 had worse FTRates. Of the 12 with lower FTRates, 0(!) took as many 2pt shots as Adams. He needs to work on drawing more contact, period. He doesn't even need to finish through the contact: As an 80% FT shooter, that's 1.6 points per possession on a shooting foul, compared to 48% on 2-point attempts, which is less than 1 point per trip. That's a huge difference.

Obviously you can make some coaching points about the offense being predictable and help always cheating off less talented teammates to be in proper help position so as not needing to foul, but he shouldn't be dead last among paint finishers in drawing fouls, end of story.

Basically, he needs to be more like James Harden, less like Monta Ellis.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Obviously you can make some coaching points about the offense being predictable and help always cheating off less talented teammates to be in proper help position so as not needing to foul, but he shouldn't be dead last among point finishers in drawing fouls, end of story.

He doesnt have the knack that Napier had (that he learned from Kemba) of throwing the head back and getting calls. I would like to see him at the line more too. Some of that is him. Some of that is a function of this team getting ZERO respect from Ref's because our crap offense doesnt earn it. Ref's tend to swallow the whistle on desperation appearing moves, and Jalen is altogether put into way too many of those. Ive seen Jalen get mugged a million times this season with no calls.

There will never be a way to know what couldve been with some real players beside him.

Reaction Score
If he had the help he deserves would his 3 point shooting be better? I wonder because many of those are wide open and in the first half when tiredness shouldn't be an issue. Needs to add about 10 % points to that 33%.

Reaction Score
Winning matters.

What happened last year?

Lol over shamet? Take the glasses off

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I was decidely "meh" with Jalen earlier in the year but as the season has gone on he has really impressed me. He's played an insane amount of minutes and has pushed and pushed and pushed. You don't think of a player carrying a team when they have a sub .500 record but that is just what Jalen has done. He deserves a ton of credit.

Reaction Score
I was decidely "meh" with Jalen earlier in the year but as the season has gone on he has really impressed me. He's played an insane amount of minutes and has pushed and pushed and pushed. You don't think of a player carrying a team when they have a sub .500 record but that is just what Jalen has done. He deserves a ton of credit.

2nd team All-AAC credit, I'd say.

If he had the help he deserves would his 3 point shooting be better? I wonder because many of those are wide open and in the first half when tiredness shouldn't be an issue. Needs to add about 10 % points to that 33%.

Probably a bit. Especially if AG were playing and distributing so he could do more catch and shoot. Most players should better not off the dribble.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Dominated by upperclassmen

Winning does matter, as does experience. They're oftentimes joined at the hip

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
2018 American Men's Basketball All-Conference, All-Rookie Teams Announced

2018 American Athletic Conference All-Conference, All-Rookie Teams
First Team All-Conference

Gary Clark, Sr., F, Cincinnati*
Jacob Evans III, Jr., G/F, Cincinnati
Rob Gray, Sr. G, Houston
Shaquille Morris, R-Sr., F, Wichita State
Landry Shamet, R-So., G, Wichita State

Second Team All-Conference
Jalen Adams, Jr., G, UConn

Junior Etou, R-Sr., F, Tulsa
Melvin Frazier, Jr., G, Tulane
Jeremiah Martin, Jr., G, Memphis
Shake Milton, Jr., G, SMU

Honorable Mention All-Conference
A.J. Davis, R-Sr., G/F, UCF
Quinton Rose, So., G, Temple
Kyle Washington, R-Sr., F, Cincinnati

All-Rookie Team
Ethan Chargois, F, SMU
David Collins, G, USF
Nate Pierre-Louis, G, Temple
Fabian White, F, Houston
Shawn Williams, G, ECU*

Shamet over Jalen, nuts. While I have some sense of the Shamet argument, the eye test and I think if you ask AAC players who's harder to guard, I believe they would say Jalen.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
If Jalen were actually a top 5 player in the league, we wouldn't be 4 games under .500 in said league. I think he has the talent, but he didn't produce this season at that level.

Jalen needed to hit a higher % of his 3's and get to the line more. He took less than 100 free throws despite his bread and butter being penetration. Of the 90 players in the country who took more of their team's shots when they were on the court than Adams (shot%), only 12 had worse FTRates. Of the 12 with lower FTRates, 0(!) took as many 2pt shots as Adams. He needs to work on drawing more contact, period. He doesn't even need to finish through the contact: As an 80% FT shooter, that's 1.6 points per possession on a shooting foul, compared to 48% on 2-point attempts, which is less than 1 point per trip. That's a huge difference.

Obviously you can make some coaching points about the offense being predictable and help always cheating off less talented teammates to be in proper help position so as not needing to foul, but he shouldn't be dead last among paint finishers in drawing fouls, end of story.

Basically, he needs to be more like James Harden, less like Monta Ellis.
Tough take, I see your point.

Reaction Score
He doesnt have the knack that Napier had (that he learned from Kemba) of throwing the head back and getting calls. I would like to see him at the line more too. Some of that is him. Some of that is a function of this team getting ZERO respect from Ref's because our crap offense doesnt earn it. Ref's tend to swallow the whistle on desperation appearing moves, and Jalen is altogether put into way too many of those. Ive seen Jalen get mugged a million times this season with no calls.

There will never be a way to know what couldve been with some real players beside him.

You can make the case that he's one of the best five players in the league and I'm sure he wouldn't last long if they drafted the entire conference from scratch. I don't think Jacob Evans is a first team caliber player. But there is no ambiguity to how something like this happened and it was 100% of Jalen's doing. He got himself suspended for the first game of the season, didn't refine his jump shot enough to take his game to the next level, could have been in better shape, took a sick day for the toughest game on our schedule, put up a lot of his numbers in garbage time, and steered his team to one of the worst seasons in program history. It is possible to be a great player on an 8th place team. He wasn't that. He wasn't so good that I felt sorry for him having to play on a team this bad. He didn't come out in big games guns blazing and gradually wear himself out. A lot of times it looked like he went through the motions.

Now, to his defense, in the last few games, none of that has been true. It wasn't true in the conference tournament last year and I don't think it will be this year. He's a gamer and the program has done him wrong far more than he's done the program wrong. I just don't buy the idea that he's been held back entirely by the people around him. Great players don't play that way even when they have the right to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom