Reaction Score
AAC 2018-2019 Very Early College Basketball Predictions | D1coachcorner.com

6. Connecticut Basketball

Coach: Dan Hurley

Off Roster:
Possibly Turned Pro: Terry Larrier
Graduated: Antwoine Anderson, David Onuorah, Christian Foxen, and Mike Noyes

On Roster:
Key Players Possibly Returning: Jalen Adams (SG), Christian Vital (SF), Josh Carlton (C ), Isaiah Whaley (PF), Tyler Polley (PF) , Mamadou Diarra (PF), Alterique Gilbert (PG), and Kwintin Williams (SF)
Key Transfer(s) added: Tarin Smith (PG, Duquesne), Kassoum Yakwe (PF, st. John's), and Sidney 'Sid' Wilson, Jr. (SF, St. John's)
Key Freshmen added: Brendan Adams (PG)

Connecticut will start the season with a new head coach in Dan Hurley. Coach Hurley is going to have to do a lot of fixing to get this team where it needs to be. Connecticut was absolutely terrible in offense and pretty bad in all other categories last season. If Coach Hurley could turn this team around he definitely will be a candidate for the American Athletics Conference (AAC) coach of the year award.

Coach Hurley will have two (2) out of three (3) of its top scorers from last season, Jalen Adams and Christian Vital, returning. The two (2) should get plenty of help in the scoring category from Duquesne’s graduate transfer, Tarin Smith. And if point guard Alterique Gilbert is healthy, Connecticut could possibly be tournament bound.

2017-2018 Record: 14-18 (7-11) No Appearance
Projected Conference Wins 2018-2019: 10+
Projected Post Season Finish 2018-2019: NIT Appearance or greater

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This team should do much better than 6th assuming health.

Just adding in Gilbert over Anderson and replacing Larrier with a much more dynamic talent in Wilson will contribute to a handful more wins, nevermind the upgrade in coaching and assumed development of the young frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Not at all sure about us. We are relying on too many question marks at this point with Gilbert coming back from multiple injuries and virtually no games over 2 years, Wilson who hasn’t played a college game, a really mediocre to be charitable, front court. If most things work out an NCAA slot isn’t impossible. If they don’t the NIT will be a challenge. As to the other picks A. It would be nice if the narrative matched the ranking and projection. B. Penny is a name but we will see if he can actually coach or if he is Mullen. C. I hate him but Cronin will have his team in the tournament as he always does.

Reaction Score
This team should do much better than 6th assuming health.

Just adding in Gilbert over Anderson and replacing Larrier with a much more dynamic talent in Wilson will contribute to a handful more wins, nevermind the upgrade in coaching and assumed development of the young frontcourt.
Just adding a better coach....I am sure with less talent, Hurley would have done better in the AAC than Ollies 14-18 stinker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have difficulty putting my faith in the prognostications of someone so grammatically challenged. I also think he's off the mark on several programs. That said, I don't expect a lot of separation between the best and mid-pack finishing teams in the AAC. There's no great team, and only a few bad ones.

Reaction Score
I have difficulty putting my faith in the prognostications of someone so grammatically challenged. I also think he's off the mark on several programs. That said, I don't expect a lot of separation between the best and mid-pack finishing teams in the AAC. There's no great team, and only a few bad ones.
I like to read anything but this was a tough read. He's pretty young I'm guessing and I'll leave it at that.

pj

Reaction Score
There's no way Tulsa is going to be better than UConn this year, and I doubt SMU or Memphis will be better.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We have a small forward named Christian Vital? That’s gonna get confusing

Reaction Score
Not at all sure about us. We are relying on too many question marks at this point with Gilbert coming back from multiple injuries and virtually no games over 2 years, Wilson who hasn’t played a college game, a really mediocre to be charitable, front court. If most things work out an NCAA slot isn’t impossible. If they don’t the NIT will be a challenge. As to the other picks A. It would be nice if the narrative matched the ranking and projection. B. Penny is a name but we will see if he can actually coach or if he is Mullen. C. I hate him but Cronin will have his team in the tournament as he always does.
There’s a lot fewer question marks than last year.
Carlton,Polley,Cobb,Whaley Williams, DO,and Anderson didn’t even know each other this time last year.
Gilbert,Larrier,and even Diarra were questionable because of serious Injury
Even JA was still felling the effects of a bad ankle sprain. that doomed the 2016/17 team.
Vital was back but he was a lightweight overachiever maybe a flash in the pan.
No comparison between this year and last on the uncertainty scale.
We’ve lost a tentative TL,and inept DO ,and Anderson who did provide some well needed help to JA.
But we added a highly regarded redshirt in Wilson
and another decent recruit in Adams.
Plus two higher regarded post grads than the late adds last year
Jalen also appears healthy now
Carlton ,Polly ,and Whaley showed signs of becoming players and all should have made a jump after playing against the toughest schedule we’ve played in awhile.
Gilbert is still iffy but with 5 guards four of whom want to play 30+ minutes a game he isn’t quite as critical . Especially if you want to play a lot of three guard.
The missing pieces that will be the difference between a decent and very good year are
Finding that third shooter (I never count my PG as a shooter ) and defensive intensity especially without the fiery Gilbert.
Maybe not the greatest array of talent in our history but in a weaker league and with somewhat weaker OCS a plus 5 to 8 game turnaround should be expected.

Reaction Score
We are relying on too many question marks at this point with Gilbert coming back from multiple injuries and virtually no games over 2 years, Wilson who hasn’t played a college game, a really mediocre to be charitable, front court. If most things work out an NCAA slot isn’t impossible. If they don’t the NIT will be a challenge.
I agree with the above assessment and while there are some head scratchers in the article, I think middle of the pack sounds about right for next year. With 2 shoulder injuries, I would not put too much stock in Gilbert. TL came back "healthy" but you can tell he was never the same player after his ACL. Grad transfers always have the issue of gelling with the team. We have seen that with past grads. We have no idea what Wilson will bring at the college level since he has yet to step foot on a college court. The front court is undersized and thanks to Ollie's crazy rotations, none have really gained much experience going into year 2.

So many questionss: Can Jalen shine like Shabazz in his senior year? Can Vital be coached to use his toughness and aggressiveness in the right role? Will Gilbert contribute? Will either freshman contribute? Will the grad transfers mesh. Will any of the returning front court players step up? Can Hurley coach these guys?

I actually think the last question is the biggest to answer. This team has a culture of losing. If Hurley can coach them to win, winning becomes the new culture and much of the rest falls into place.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Who's our starting front court for the majority of the season?

Reaction Score
I think Marbles raises a good question, not really can Hurley coach..he has shown he can coach I think. But can he coach this band of misfit toys? The grad transfer thing is a legit concern. It is useful to plug holes but not so much for key roles.

Reaction Score
Idk what this guy is smoking... Memphis at 2? C’mon man...

I like our chances as a top 5 conference team next year. 6 feels like worst case scenario if injuries play in.

Reaction Score
I think us, Cincy, Houston, UCF, and Memphis are all pretty close and will compete for the top of the conference. Putting Tulsa over Cincy could be the most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in these preseason picks

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
lolwut
which one of you wrote this just to piss me off ?

Reaction Score
Idk what this guy is smoking... Memphis at 2? C’mon man...

I like our chances as a top 5 conference team next year. 6 feels like worst case scenario if injuries play in.
He’s a Penny fanboy. Cause NBA stars always turn out to be great college coaches. Look at St John’s, well Georgetown...well, um, well Bob Cousy was terrific at BC. There’s an example!

Reaction Score
He’s a Penny fanboy. Cause NBA stars always turn out to be great college coaches. Look at St John’s, well Georgetown...well, um, well Bob Cousy was terrific at BC. There’s an example!

Hey well Kevin Ol..

Nevermind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom