OT - A10 tourney will be in new Brooklyn arena | The Boneyard

OT - A10 tourney will be in new Brooklyn arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Source: A-10 to hold tourney at Barclays

A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade is making attempts to get the A-10 more exposure in New York. The league is hosting its media day in Brooklyn on Oct. 13.

The Barclays Center could be in play for the Big East or ACC tournaments beyond 2016 when the Big East's current deal with Madison Square Garden expires.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thats interesting. sju/sh will be happy about that in the future. also depaul is fine with it becuase they never go anyway. prov also seems fine with it, they think that the one night hotel room stays will actually be chaeper there then near msg.

Reaction Score
If the football schools split, and then Xavier,Dayton & St. Joes joins the big east hoops schools will there be an A-10?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Brooklyn is a pretty long schlep from Manhatten by subway. The Big East would be better off in Newark.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Brooklyn is a pretty long schlep from Manhatten by subway. The Big East would be better off in Newark.

Actually, the new arena in Brooklyn is pretty close to Manhattan and is an easy trip by subway. From where I live, it would take me 20 minutes to half an hour to get there, versus about 45 minutes to the Pru Center in Newark.

Reaction Score
If the football schools split, and then Xavier,Dayton & St. Joes joins the big east hoops schools will there be an A-10?

The A-Ten has 14 teams. So 2 to 4 leaving will hurt, especially as it will be some of the better schools, but the conference isn't going anywhere.

Ironically, my son interviewed McGlade on GW Radio the Thursday before the Syracuse/Pitt story broke to talk to her about BCS expansion and what it would mean for the A-Ten. She doesn't have the weapons the major conferences do, but it's clear that she is at least prepared for all the foreseeable possibilities.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Actually, the new arena in Brooklyn is pretty close to Manhattan and is an easy trip by subway. From where I live, it would take me 20 minutes to half an hour to get there, versus about 45 minutes to the Pru Center in Newark.
I'm guessing you are uptown.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

How long by subway to there from Grand Central Station? 45 minutes right? You can drive to Newark.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I'm guessing you are uptown.

I live just south of Houston Street on the West Side. To the Barclays Center in Brooklyn: take the #1 train at Houston, change to the #2 at Chambers, get off at Atlantic Avenue - half an hour door to door. To the Pru Center: walk to the Path, take the train to Journal Square, change trains, get off at Newark Penn Station - 45 minutes. Neither arena is tough to get to, but Barclays is easier, at least from where I live.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
How long by subway to there from Grand Central Station? 45 minutes right? You can drive to Newark.

I'm not sure of the time from Grand Central, but my guess is half an hour. Yes, someone could drive to Newark, but most games are played in the evening when the traffic leaving NYC is a mess. The Path is probably a better choice at that time of day.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I live just south of Houston Street on the West Side. To the Barclays Center in Brooklyn: take the #1 train at Houston, change to the #2 at Chambers, get off at Atlantic Avenue - half an hour door to door. To the Pru Center: walk to the Path, take the train to Journal Square, change trains, get off at Newark Penn Station - 45 minutes. Neither arena is tough to get to, but Barclays is easier, at least from where I live.
Ah, got it.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
The way I look at it, if you are going to the effort of putting your event in New York City, you should be at MSG.

Trains work well for anwful lot of people in the metro area. And the "local" audience consists of some 20 million people, made up of fans/alums of most/many of the Big East teams. And MSG sits on top of Penn Station and it is a reasonable hop from Grand Central. For everyone else, NYC and Manhattan are a destination.

If you are going outside of this, I feel that you need to consider a "car friendly" location, not just a long subway ride. The Meadowlands is relatively "car friendly". Good interstate highway access, easy on-easy off. And overall, proximal to all of the airports in the area.

Whatever other cities might be in contention, their arenas are in their downtown area, and it is probably equally as big a PITA to get to any one or another of them.

Brooklyn is not easy access for out-of-towners in any sense.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Barclays should have decent access to/from JFK/LGA because it's next to so many subway lines. This is a great move for the A-10.

Reaction Score
Barclays should have decent access to/from JFK/LGA because it's next to so many subway lines. This is a great move for the A-10.
actually, the biggest problem with the nyc subway system is there is no direct line to either airport (other then the airtrain link to JFK) which requires a transfer. big pain but the cabbies love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom