A weekend for college football purists. | The Boneyard

A weekend for college football purists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, what else is there to talk about?

Yale and Army will play in the bowl on Saturday at 1:00.

We will play Temple at 4.

I hope we win. I hope Army kicks the crap out of those ivy league turds.

See the rest of you cuckoo birds in the stands on Sat. Rentschler is way better than Yale Bowl, and my grill will be fired up at noon.

Reaction Score
ESPN instead of celebrating the history of the game with the Yale Bowl matchup, makes the choice to keep the power five promotion front and center. Do they really think people won't watch game day because they are at the Yale Bowl where Army is playing? Some cadets and Yalies in the background not good enough? Really? As for the UConn game we are facing the #15 defense in the country and have been waiting for some breakout runs from our offense. It could be quite the loud affair if we can get a win at the end. I think we'll play well and get the job done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes - nobody wants to hear about Yale and Army. Well I shouldn't say no one. Butch probably does.

I can't even imagine what broken methodolgy places Temple as the 15th best defense in the country.

Reaction Score
They did go to ND State a couple of weeks ago. They go where they think it is interesting.

Reaction Score
ESPN instead of celebrating the history of the game with the Yale Bowl matchup, makes the choice to keep the power five promotion front and center. Do they really think people won't watch game day because they are at the Yale Bowl where Army is playing? Some cadets and Yalies in the background not good enough? Really? As for the UConn game we are facing the #15 defense in the country and have been waiting for some breakout runs from our offense. It could be quite the loud affair if we can get a win at the end. I think we'll play well and get the job done.
ESPN will go wherever the game is treasured AND the fans will actually show up. Yale Bowl is a great venue to watch a contest, BUT it's cavernous unless the opposition is Princeton or Harvard. If the Elis get a gate of 30,000, it's a moral victory at the box office. This game may be different if the corps of cadets is bussed in & military dignitaries show up, but 30k in a 65,000 capacity building is a comparative drop in the ocean.

Reaction Score
Can't believe I am saying this but the Rent is definitely better than the Yale Bowl. Only because the Yale Bowl is run down now. :rolleyes:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
ESPN will go wherever the game is treasured AND the fans will actually show up. Yale Bowl is a great venue to watch a contest, BUT it's cavernous unless the opposition is Princeton or Harvard. If the Elis get a gate of 30,000, it's a moral victory at the box office. This game may be different if the corps of cadets is bussed in & military dignitaries show up, but 30k in a 65,000 capacity building is a comparative drop in the ocean.
If the Huskies get a gate of 30,000 its a moral victory as well -

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Anyone happen to know what games are airing on the locals Saturday afternoon? Gonna bring the TV and antenna...

Reaction Score
CTMike said:
Anyone happen to know what games are airing on the locals Saturday afternoon? Gonna bring the TV and antenna...

Unless the antenna picks up the cw, none. CBS does not have a noon game and fox is playing the Yanks Sox game.

Cw has wmu v. vpi

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Unless the antenna picks up the cw, none. CBS does not have a noon game and fox is playing the Yanks Sox game.

Cw has wmu v. vpi
Oh wow. Well I'll still bring it anyway!

Reaction Score

coach, we don't get this ship turned around right quick, like now, and we'll be counting gate counts of 30,000 as a moral victory too - we kind of already are. We also bus UConn students to games too, and sometimes the dignitaries show up in the boxes. The good news, is that Rentschler isn't quite the cavern that the bowl is, when you've got 20,000 there. It's just where we're at.

While UCONN has enormous growth potential, that Yale/Army do not, and Temple, is Temple.....and man, does it itch me in the wrong places that I'm worried about beating Temple....we're not realizing that potential - yet. And until we start winning regularly again, we won't.

So - college football played in Connecticut, this Saturday, for one weekend this fall, is going to be played entirely for the purists, that are there for the game, and to see the players. I actually am ok with this. I'm tired of the pimping and corruption and what the NCAA has become pushed by ESPN.

I really just want to see good football played, and I fear, I really fear, that between the two games played in CT this Saturday, we aren't going to be the ones playing the best football.

I want that changed, but really, nothing I can do about it but piss and moan, and keep going to the games.

So be it.

I'll be there at Rentschler, with the rest of purists tomorrow. It's a much better place to tailgate, and watch a game, than the bowl, and my huskies are playing - which makes it a non-decision anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom