A week off for this? SMU postgame | The Boneyard

A week off for this? SMU postgame

Reaction Score
I have been a huge Hurley advocate all year, but this is the first game where I have some reservations.

I know everyone will say he needs his guys, but this SMU team is terrible and not that talented. There is no excuse for this.

I don’t think the three guys we have coming in next year fix the long list of problems we have. This might be a 3-4 year rebuild.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We don't defend a shot, they run around in circles, they look like they're hustling, but our defense stinks, and our opponents get one open look after another

57% from the field

1550809159353.png

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have been a huge Hurley advocate all year, but this is the first game where I have some reservations.

I know everyone will say he needs his guys, but this SMU team is terrible and not that talented. There is no excuse for this.

I don’t think the three guys we have coming in next year fix the long list of problems we have. This might be a 3-4 year rebuild.

SMU may not be talented, but they can still hit their shots. We can't. We can't even make layups. Talent is very much the issue here.

And no, the 3 guys don't fix everything. But they def help with some. Shooting, length, athleticism. And some rim protection from Akok.

We need 2 or three more additions, whether freshman, Juco, or 5th year.

Reaction Score
The players don't care. That much should be obvious at this point.

I don't know if this ever turns around. But it will not turn around until the majority of these players are gone.
Truth spoken. They are very comfortable losing and are quite satisfied trying really hard. The gulf between trying really hard and willing yourself to victory is huge. Old UConn would battle to win. These guys fade and shy away, refusing to grab at the Golden ring.

Reaction Score
All the cliches. I just think we are a bad team. Bad teams play decent sometimes and look ok losing and other times they look awful and get embarrassed. I'm sure at times amid all the losing, the kids effort and focus wane which is somewhat human and natural, but this team is just so lacking in so many areas. My expectations are so low at this point I find myself laughing instead of getting pissed sometimes.

Reaction Score

Especially with Jalen gone

Reaction Score
The players don't care. That much should be obvious at this point.

I don't know if this ever turns around. But it will not turn around until the majority of these players are gone.
Maybe true but why wouldn't players like Wilson, Carlton & Polley care? They're probably going to be here a couple of more years so I hope they care. I don't think Cobb & maybe Smith care at this point being seniors.

I think we're not very good, have you seen our roster...................some players can be good but that is a small number.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
All the cliches. I just think we are a bad team. Bad teams play decent sometimes and look ok losing and other times they look awful and get embarrassed. I'm sure at times amid all the losing, the kids effort and focus wane which is somewhat human and natural, but this team is just so lacking in so many areas. My expectations are so low at this point I find myself laughing instead of getting pissed sometimes.

I fell asleep and don't mind that I did.

Reaction Score
We made SMU look like a top 5 team! Defense looked like a slice of swiss cheese.
Disgusting, disgusting, and more disgusting.

Reaction Score
We need to finish from close that was a big factor

Reaction Score
But Polley was great tonight and he needs to keep bringing that touch from deep

Reaction Score
Turned the game off with under 2 minutes left. First time I've ever done that. We are worse than ever. The Washington Generals play better D than we do. Can't make a layup or hit foul shots. Could be many open scholarships next year.

Reaction Score
Can't defend. Teams have been shooting lights out against us. We make even bad teams look great. We give up double digit blow bys.

Can't shot. Some of our shots have no chance. We can miss 3s wide left or wide right. And we must not listen during timeouts and then Jack up 26ft 3s. We miss lightly contested bunnies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We knew the team offense would stink without JA and < 70% AG, but there is no reason the team defense has to. Too depressing watching the seas parting with the matador effort.

Reaction Score
I’m really not expecting a huge upswing until the 2021-22 season. Rebuilds take time. We will see slight improves over the next few years but I look at 21-22 as the year we’re back in the national spotlight.

Reaction Score
To be hones this is the first game I felt like the team really resorted to last year's habit of giving in. At least in the other games you saw them make a run (unsuccessfully) but still liked to see that fight out of them. Last night looked like they just gave up and quit. I'm all in on Hurley and know he's the right guy. Just need to give it some time/get his players.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I’m really not expecting a huge upswing until the 2021-22 season. Rebuilds take time. We will see slight improves over the next few years but I look at 21-22 as the year we’re back in the national spotlight.
I agree. That's really my main takeaway from this game is that this rebuild is going to take longer than I had hoped. The 3 kids we are bringing in next year, albeit talented, are very raw. I'm not sure the somewhat of an upgrade in talent, the progression of the returning players and the JUCO/grad transfers will make us competitive at the top of the AAC next season. Front court will be an issue again next season, no matter what JUCO or whatever we bring in. It will take another 3+ 4* player class in 2020 and more time for the coaching staff with this team to get us towards the top of the AAC.

Having said that, we can still overachieve next year or the year after with Hurley coaching this team. Or if Jalen Gaffney turns out to be like a Trae Young in year 1.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right but that will only happen with an influx of 4* talent. The 3 we have coming in next year seem to be a good start but we need 1 or 2 more bigs for next year and then several more the following year. If that doesn't happen then this is the new normal for UConn Basketball.

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
No he wasn't, he hit some threes. The threes are nice but it's literally all he does, no defense, no rebounding, no driving etc.

If Polley did all of the above well, he would be an NBA draft pick. ....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom