A UConn record that already remains unprecedented | The Boneyard

A UConn record that already remains unprecedented

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In January 2014, UConn beat Baylor by 11 points. Of all of UConn's 40 triumphs last season, 11 points represent the team's lowest margin of victory.

The "highest lowest" MOV of 11 is a record; it'd never been done before. Any season with even one defeat means your team has a negative MOV to its relative discredit. Conversely, among other undefeated teams, Baylor 2012-12, UConn 2009-10, UConn 2001-02, Tennessee 1997-98, Uconn 1994-95, Texas 1985-86, and La Tech 1980-81, all have at least one single-digit victory during those seasons. Meanwhile, UConn 2008-09, which had no victories by nine or fewer points, did win two games by "only" 10. Finally, even the AIAW-era championship teams, based on my research, had single-digit victories.

In other words, no team has won all its games by 11 points or more. None.

And that record remains on the books.

VowelGuy's new thread about the remaining 12 undefeated teams this year inspired me to look at the season results of each. So, with all credit to VG and his research, here are those 12 teams: Texas, St Johns, Northwestern, Oregon St, Youngstown St, Princeton, Akron, Lehigh, Miss St, Texas A&M, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Well, I looked at each of these teams' seasons, and all 12 of them have victories by 10 points or fewer.

We all got to experience and appreciate last season's Huskies. They accomplished something that had never been done before in WCBB. As of this season, UConn still has done something no other team has done before.

And Lord knows if or when another team ever will.

Reaction Score
Alex, you have the most interesting mind. I wonder what made you think of MOV. And thanks for the good work! UConn keeps setting records so often that we get used to it. Ho hum, another record.

You're right; this one is remarkable.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Samanthabrown3 said:
Alex, you have the most interesting mind. I wonder what made you think of MOV. And thanks for the good work! UConn keeps setting records so often that we get used to it. Ho hum, another record. You're right; this one is remarkable.
Thanks so much for your kind words, Samantha. Given what I've been through with my brain, having my mind complimented made my day. Seriously. :)

I'm not sure why I thought of MOV. I guess I've always been aware of the fact that Uconn 2008-09 was the first team to win every game by double figures, but in 2010, the ND games were anticipated because UConn had won that game by 10 exactly. Thus, I was familiar with the significance of 11 and verified throughout WCBB history how unprecedented it was to win every game by at least 11 points. And that Baylor game was in a very hostile environment and still resulted in an 11-point victory!

And once I saw vowelguy's thread, I just somehow got curious as to whether the record was guaranteed to stand already by this season's end...and it was! :)

Reaction Score
In January 2014, UConn beat Baylor by 11 points. Of all of UConn's 40 triumphs last season, 11 points represent the team's lowest margin of victory.

The "highest lowest" MOV of 11 is a record; it'd never been done before. Any season with even one defeat means your team has a negative MOV to its relative discredit. Conversely, among other undefeated teams, Baylor 2012-12, UConn 2009-10, UConn 2001-02, Tennessee 1997-98, Uconn 1994-95, Texas 1985-86, and La Tech 1980-81, all have at least one single-digit victory during those seasons. Meanwhile, UConn 2008-09, which had no victories by nine or fewer points, did win two games by "only" 10. Finally, even the AIAW-era championship teams, based on my research, had single-digit victories.

In other words, no team has won all its games by 11 points or more. None.

And that record remains on the books.

VowelGuy's new thread about the remaining 12 undefeated teams this year inspired me to look at the season results of each. So, with all credit to VG and his research, here are those 12 teams: Texas, St Johns, Northwestern, Oregon St, Youngstown St, Princeton, Akron, Lehigh, Miss St, Texas A&M, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Well, I looked at each of these teams' seasons, and all 12 of them have victories by 10 points or fewer.

We all got to experience and appreciate last season's Huskies. They accomplished something that had never been done before in WCBB. As of this season, UConn still has done something no other team has done before.

And Lord knows if or when another team ever will.

My favorite record is not losing two games in a row in some 20 years or so. That one may be as safe as Joe D's 56 game hitting streak.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not since the opening round of the 1993 tourney...which also happened to be the last time uconn lost a game to Louisville.

Uconn came close to losing twice in a row fairly early in the 2004-05 season. USF took the Huskies to overtime, but UConn pulled it out. Had they lost that game, it would've been twice in a row. They haven't come especially close to losing twice in a row since.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not since the opening round of the 1993 tourney...which also happened to be the last time uconn lost a game to Louisville.

Uconn came close to losing twice in a row fairly early in the 2004-05 season. USF took the Huskies to overtime, but UConn pulled it out. Had they lost that game, it would've been twice in a row. They haven't come especially close to losing twice in a row since.
They haven't come particularly close to losing 1 in a row very often. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom