A twist on an old plan. | The Boneyard

A twist on an old plan.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We all know that a P5 invite may or may not come in the near future. BE + football independence has been discussed but thrown out the window a few times for logistical reasons. I have a solution to a major logistical problem: scheduling. It was an idea I came up with a few months ago but didn't think it would be well received due to being so far outside the box. Well, times have changed. My idea is that we schedule 5 P5 home and home series the first five weeks of the seasons, and FCS game and then BYU, UMass, and Army 2x every year.

Yes, that is right, playing three opponents twice in the same year. Liberty and NMSU are going to do it in 2018. Why don't we?

By playing BYU, UMass, and Army (who all sometime struggle to fill out their schedules) twice, we kill two birds with one stone (they fill out their schedules and so do we).

A schedule like this is very possible:
Missouri (A)
Indiana (H)
Illinois (A)
NCSU (H)
BC (A)
FCS (H)
Army (H)
BYU (A)
UMass (A)
Army (A)
BYU (H)
UMass (H)

We can still play 5 power schools and four more games against well known opponents (BYU and Army). As far as TV, SNY would get the home BYU, UMass, and Army games. ESPN would get the BYU road game, SNY the road UMass game, and CBS Sports the road Army game. The FCS game would be on SNY, the road P5 on ESPN networks, and the home P5 games on FS1 (they would give us 2-3 games a year in exchange for getting our basketball to come on board to the BE). We would then just join the Big East for everything else and play a 20-game conference schedule.

Reaction Score
And BYU, Army, and UMass want to play us twice a year because...................? Yeah, I couldn't come with a reason. Not gonna happen. Let's just concern our self with making the most out of the American Conference. We are in the AAC and this will be our home for the for seeable future.

Reaction Score
Interesting plan....

I could see it now...but it needs to be collapsed some.

Great game against Army, next week come see Army once again....a rematch!

This week we will play Army again 4 days from now, on Thursday night. You can't get too much Army!

We feature a double header with Army this week...the second game will begin 15 minutes after completion of the first game.

Reaction Score
We all know that a P5 invite may or may not come in the near future. BE + football independence has been discussed but thrown out the window a few times for logistical reasons. I have a solution to a major logistical problem: scheduling. It was an idea I came up with a few months ago but didn't think it would be well received due to being so far outside the box. Well, times have changed. My idea is that we schedule 5 P5 home and home series the first five weeks of the seasons, and FCS game and then BYU, UMass, and Army 2x every year.

Yes, that is right, playing three opponents twice in the same year. Liberty and NMSU are going to do it in 2018. Why don't we?

By playing BYU, UMass, and Army (who all sometime struggle to fill out their schedules) twice, we kill two birds with one stone (they fill out their schedules and so do we).

Missouri (A)
Indiana (H)
Illinois (A)
NCSU (H)
BC (A)
FCS (H)
Army (H)
BYU (A)
UMass (A)
Army (A)
BYU (H)
UMass (H)

We can still play 5 power schools and four more games against well known opponents (BYU and Army). As far as TV, SNY would get the home BYU, UMass, and Army games. ESPN would get the BYU road game, SNY the road UMass game, and CBS Sports the road Army game. The FCS game would be on SNY, the road P5 on ESPN networks, and the home P5 games on FS1 (they would give us 2-3 games a year in exchange for getting our basketball to come on board to the BE). We would then just join the Big East for everything else and play a 20-game conference schedule.

You & your anal obsession with reentry to the Big East & football independence are THIS close to me pushing the IGNORE button. (And I haven't put ANYONE on Ignore)

Reaction Score
And BYU, Army, and UMass want to play us twice a year because....? Yeah, I couldn't come with a reason. Not gonna happen. Let's just concern our self with making the most out of the American Conference. We are in the AAC and this will be our home for the for seeable future.

+1

While The AAC lacks traditional helmet schools, it at least provides members a competitive product on the field and stability off of it. It is the only nationally relevant conference where every team actually has a chance to compete for the conference title. Think about it. Any given season could see a different team rise to the top. Temple, UCF, USF, Navy, Houston, and Memphis have all shown up on the national radar. No reason to believe that Cincy, Uconn, SMU, Tulsa or others couldn't do the same. History has shown that in The AAC the best coached schools typically end up on top. Edsall has put you back in the conversation. The AAC is a place where Uconn has a shot to rebuild its brand. Even if its short term its still a million times better than subjecting fans to Arny and Umass 2X a year. If fans are hard up to play Nova or Gtown basketball just schedule them OOC. The Big East has moved on, some fans need to do the same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's important to recognize that Liberty and NMSU aren't playing twice because they want too... but because scheduling is so difficult for a non-major Independent, that they were left with no other choice.

Also, are BYU and Army having any trouble filling their dancecards? My guess is no.

Reaction Score

Missouri (A)
Indiana (H)
Illinois (A)
NCSU (H)
BC (A)
FCS (H)
Army (H)
BYU (A)
UMass (A)
Army (A)
BYU (H)
UMass (H)

Interesting idea, but why on Earth would I or the UConn administration feel the need to give the BE Catholic Basketball schools a shot in the arm? They (Villanova, Georgetown, and St John's) dug their own graves when they conspired and killed Big East football by voting against inviting Penn State into the BE. My opinion is that HCRE and his great staff need to right now build back UConn's football program slowly, by playing decent teams like Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, South Florida, and hopefully raise some eyebrows in the P5 conferences, gain some respect, and finally still get at least some distribution money. I fail to see how we do that by getting blown out by P5 teams or Notre Dame, as an independent. If we win one or two AAC football championships in the next 5 years that would be huge for UCONN the school. Forget the Big East, it's a sinking ship caused by shorted sighted greed.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that HCRE and his great staff need to right now build back UConn's football program slowly, by playing decent teams like Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, South Florida, and hopefully raise some eyebrows in the P5 conferences, gain some respect...

If CR was based on the winning record of the football team it would have been in the ACC over Cuse in the last round.

Piss on the Big East all you want for the football angle, but UConn is a basketball first school and The Big East is a top 3 basketball conference. The AAC is Top 7. When Nova is getting more TV money for its basketball team than UConn is for its football team, it is time to consider options.

Reaction Score
If CR was based on the winning record of the football team it would have been in the ACC over Cuse in the last round.

Oh sure, and Texas A&M, Missouri, Nebraska, and Louisville, all got recent invites based on field hockey and academics. Go away troll.

Reaction Score
Piss on the Big East all you want for the football angle, but UConn is a basketball first school and The Big East is a top 3 basketball conference. The AAC is Top 7.

The Big East is top 6 and sinking fast in basketball. They are not better than the ACC, Big 12, or PAC 12, and top to bottom can't measure up against the SEC or Big Ten. In women's basketball it's worse, they are top 6 or top 7 at best and sinking even faster since UCONN left. When was the last time St John's, Villanova or Depaul cracked the top 10? In women's basketball they suck now which wasn't the case just a few years ago.

Reaction Score
The Big East is top 6 and sinking fast in basketball. They are not better than the ACC, Big 12, or PAC 12, and top to bottom can't measure up against the SEC or Big Ten. In women's basketball it's worse, they are top 6 or top 7 at best and sinking even faster since UConn left. When was the last time St John's, Villanova or Depaul cracked the top 10? In women's basketball they suck now which wasn't the case just a few years ago.
I understand women's basketball is revered at UConn. Rightfully so. It just doesn't mean that much elsewhere. Nova's campus arboretum is important to Nova, but it's probably not a big deal to others.

Big East Men's Hoops is 4 or 5 spots ahead of the AAC, and gets more TV money for hoops than the AAC gets for football. That is why UConn was talking to the Big East this spring.

Reaction Score
I understand women's basketball is revered at UConn. Rightfully so. It just doesn't mean that much elsewhere. Nova's campus arboretum is important to Nova, but it's probably not a big deal to others.

Big East Men's Hoops is 4 or 5 spots ahead of the AAC, and gets more TV money for hoops than the AAC gets for football. That is why UConn was talking to the Big East this spring.
Show me the Big East basketball numbers vs the AAC football numbers. Also with respect (in your case disrespect) to women's basketball, I guess elsewhere outside of Connecticut, Geno is not worth his multi year $13 million contract. Do you think he's worth it, Zissou? Lastly, the Big East is not 4 or 5 spots ahead of the AAC, maybe one or two but that's it.

Reaction Score
Show me the Big East basketball numbers vs the AAC football numbers. Also with respect (in your case disrespect) to women's basketball, I guess elsewhere outside of Connecticut, Geno is not worth his multi year $13 million contract. Do you think he's worth it, Zissou? Lastly, the Big East is not 4 or 5 spots ahead of the AAC, maybe one or two but that's it.
I think the numbers are $1.8M for AAC and $4.xM for the Big East.

I don't know the revenue for women's basketball and I'm too lazy to look it up. Geno has done something remarkable in women's basketball. He is worth a lot. $13M is how much per year? If it's 2 years it's probably too much. If it's 13 years it is probably too little.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The AAC's total distribution is roughly equal to the Big East's deal or at least within spitting distance.

Television revenue isn't as high, but there are more revenue streams.

I guess you'd also have to put a value on exposure on the ESPN networks instead of the relative oblivion of FoxSports 1/2.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The AAC's total distribution is roughly equal to the Big East's deal or at least within spitting distance.

Television revenue isn't as high, but there are more revenue streams.

I guess you'd also have to put a value on exposure on the ESPN networks instead of the relative oblivion of FoxSports 1/2.
If DePaul plays Seton Hall on a channel that can be found on a tree in the forest does anyone watch it?

Reaction Score
If DePaul plays Seton Hall on a channel that can be found on a tree in the forest does anyone watch it?
yes

31960474_scaled_510x536.jpg

Reaction Score
The Big East is top 6 and sinking fast in basketball.......

Hey Rob1
Don't let facts get in the way of forming your opinion regarding the "sinking Big East".
* 2016 Big East men's basketball team wins national championship
*2017 seventy percent of the Big East men's teams are invited to NCAA tournament
*2017 two teams from the mighty American Athletic Association are invited to NCAA Tourney.

The fact that the "flat earthers" who believe that an ACC invitation for UConn is in the mail, or that the AAC is a long term solution don't understand that the AAC is trivalizing the once proud UConn men's basketball brand. If it remains in the AAC for a decade or more you will unfortunately see UConn Men's basketball further marginalized.

I sincerely hope that UConn will not sacrifice it's mens basketball program for the chance that it may get invited to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
Hey Rob1
Don't let facts get in the way of forming your opinion regarding the "sinking Big East".
* 2016 Big East men's basketball team wins national championship
*2017 seventy percent of the Big East men's teams are invited to NCAA tournament
*2017 two teams from the mighty American Athletic Association are invited to NCAA Tourney.

The fact that the "flat earthers" who believe that an ACC invitation for UConn is in the mail, or that the AAC is a long term solution don't understand that the AAC is trivalizing the once proud UConn men's basketball brand. If it remains in the AAC for a decade or more you will unfortunately see UConn Men's basketball further marginalized.

I sincerely hope that UConn will not sacrifice it's mens basketball program for the chance that it may get invited to join the ACC.
The Big East is top 6 and is indeed sinking fast. All more reason why the crazy ideas hatched on this board to get the Uconn brand to prop up a dieing league. They are not a better league than the ACC, the Pac 12, or the Big 12, and top to bottom they can't match up with the Big Ten or the SEC. That's five leagues ahead of the Big East, making you #6, not top 3 as your Big East brother postulated. The Big East in any kind of a round robin matchup would lose to any of the five leagues ahead of them. They are sinking fast, if it were not Villanova's recent success, the league would be a dead fossil. Once storied programs like Georgetown, St John's, and Providence, have not been anywhere near the top of the national rankings like they once were.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The Big East is top 6 and is indeed sinking fast. All more reason why the crazy ideas hatched on this board to get the UConn brand to prop up a dieing league. They are not a better league than the ACC, the Pac 12, or the Big 12, and top to bottom they can't match up with the Big Ten or the SEC. That's five leagues ahead of the Big East, making you #6, not top 3 as your Big East brother postulated. The Big East in any kind of a round robin matchup would to any of the five leagues ahead of them. They are sinking fast, if it were not Villanova's recent success, the league would be a dead fossil. Once storied programs like Georgetown, St John's, and Providence, have not been anywhere near the top of the national rankings like they once were.
You do realize that the BE had a winning record against 3 of the other 5 P5 leagues?

Reaction Score
You do realize that the BE had a winning record against 3 of the other 5 P5 leagues?
If that's true, and I'll bet over the past six years it's not, then they don't need UCONN basketball. So just stop with the crazy ideas about the football team going independent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom