A Third of D-I Players Have Changed Schools | The Boneyard

A Third of D-I Players Have Changed Schools

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Within the Power Five conferences, switching schools in the same conference is a rare event, but that definitely doesn’t apply to the SEC. There are 18 current players in that conference who previously played on another SEC team, three times the number of Big Ten players who have moved within the conference. The Big 12 is the only conference not to have former players from all four other major conferences; it has no Big Ten transfers. The Pac-12, meanwhile, has more internal transfers (10) than external ones (nine) from Power 5 conferences.

There are plenty of teams, even some D-I teams, that don’t have a transfer player on their rosters. Setting aside the Ivy League universities, which don’t permit graduate students to play and have more restrictive transfer policies, the D-I teams with no transfers on their rosters this season include UConn and Stanford. Even Navy has one, Lizzie Holder, who previously played at Colorado, and whose Buffs bio includes this skill: “Can drive a manual transmission”. Alas, while Holder is listed on the Navy roster, that talent no longer appears.

Reaction Score
Even Navy has one, Lizzie Holder, who previously played at Colorado, and whose Buffs bio includes this skill: “Can drive a manual transmission”. Alas, while Holder is listed on the Navy roster, that talent no longer appears.
Interesting and rather startling information, BRS24, thank you, although I'm curious about the final words: 'that talent no longer appears.'

Since I am a life-long manual transmission driver, I guess I'm even more of a dinosaur than I had thought...;) Does our navy have no manual transmission vehicles?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I didn't expect a separate thread on this, so I posted the article and a few bullet points on the Transfer Portal thread.
Here are some highlights I noted:

HerHoopsStats Article Examine Transfers

Some exec. bullet points from the attached article, written by Derek Willis:

• Nearly one in six players on NCAA rosters this season previously played at a different school, according to an analysis of roster data.
  • For Division I players, that rate is closer to one in three.
  • Just 13 D-I teams - not counting the Ivy League - do not have a transfer player on their rosters.
  • Although transfers occur at every level of college basketball, they mostly are a Division I event. More than 1,600 D-I players this season came from another school - more than 32 percent, almost twice as high as the percentage for D-II.
  • While the Sunbelt Conference has the most transfers -- 51.4% (yes, that's more than half) -- The Big 12, with 45.3%, is a standout among the Power 5 conferences; the others’ percentage of transfers range from between 27% (Big Ten) to 36% (SEC). And the Big Ten figure is boosted by Penn State, where three of four players on the roster have experience at another school, the highest percentage of any P5 team.
  • Within the P5 conferences, switching schools in the same conference is a rare event, but that definitely doesn’t apply to the SEC. There are 18 current players in that conference who previously played on another SEC team, three times the number of Big Ten players who have moved within the conference.
  • Willis believes, to no one's surprise on this board, that "...the additional eligibility provided by the NCAA during the COVID-19 pandemic has helped make the transfer portal a hotbed of activity."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how much has to do with the extra covid year
The author, Derek Willis, thinks it does, which I noted in my last bullet point.
On a sub-note, you can see this -- a lot -- in the Ivy Leagues where the "four years -- use it or lose it" approach has led athletes from all sports to go elsewhere to get the extra year. In WBB, USC has multiple Ivy grads and top Men's Lacrosse programs have all benefitted from Ivy League players looking for a place to play an extra season (and get a free year of grad school ;))

Reaction Score
Holla at Stanford and UConn for keeping it old school. ;)
Well Uconn did have 2 important ones last year though.

Interesting that some of the complaints that I have read about the portal was how the strong teams would use it to get even stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom