A Theory - Why the slow starts? | The Boneyard

A Theory - Why the slow starts?

Reaction Score
If you haven't been living under a rock, you may have noticed we get off to slow starts habitually. Against good teams and bad teams. Then after the half, we come out like gangbusters, smothering our opponents. What's up with that?

I think there are 2 factors at play.

1. Our first option, particularly at the beginning of games, is feeding Josh Carlton. But Josh Carlton is a slow, lumbering, power player. He does not pass well. I'm not saying this in a detrimental way, but rather just as a statement of facts. At the beginning of games, this plays against his power game. Players are fresh, they don't have foul trouble, and so the teams can swarm Josh and force turnovers or harass him into bad shots.

2. Our second option is Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital making plays off the dribble. So when Josh gets swarmed, with time on the shot clock low, it comes down to Alterique and Christian to create offense - something that they are both bad at. So we are left with absurd AG drives into the paint, where he gets blocked like always, or Christian dancing at the top and shooting a 25 footer.

So here is how we fix it -

1. Postpone the Josh Carlton Deluge - Josh can't be effective with people buzzing around. Then cut Josh loose in the second half, when tired bodies are liable to miss rotations, doubles, and Josh can feast like he has in... checks notes... every game.

2. Start Bouknight & Adams - They are our playmakers and shotmakers, particularly off the dribble. So lets get them in the game and run some sets for them out the gate. Let's just get real. We talk about them in the future, but uh they are better than CV and AG... Right now. Its time for playing time and strategy to reflect that reality.

3. Lets mix in some sets to get Polley shots. He's our best shooter, and getting him going early helps everyone else by increasing space and getting him warmed up and engaged in the game.

4. Instruct Alterique that, under no circumstances should he ever, EVER look to shoot a layup. If he shoots a layup, he gets an immediate hook. I'm not joking about this, when he shoots a layup he makes 1/10, and 9/10 are blocked or wild misses that turn into fast breaks for the other team. Full ban on shooting unless its a pull up or an open 3. When Alterique gets by his man into the paint, his only thought should be to spot open shooters and kick it out or drop it off for dunks.

Reaction Score
Check notes, who was in when we made our run in the second? I believe Bouk, BA, Carlton, Polley, and maybe Akok. I can’t recall when Akok was benched but I think he was still in at that point and he was part of the formula. CV may have been in during a lot of this but effective as a rebounder more than anything else.

I agree with everything you say. I’m adding this to support what you’re saying: we had all cylinders firing when the young talent was on the floor.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, they did have the lead for the first 3.5 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom