A Team for the Ages | The Boneyard

A Team for the Ages

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Unbelievable article. My favorite blurbs

1) A little insight for recruits

Taking in practice this day is veteran WNBA coach Dan Hughes, who has just been hired to coach a Seattle Storm team that includes three former Auriemma players: Stewart, Sue Bird, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

People who see Auriemma only as an acerbic coach who pushes his players’ buttons overlook the fact that he is “a master teacher,” says Hughes.

“When you build a team, you try to get players to give energy rather than take it,” says Hughes. “UConn players give you energy. I wish I had 10 of them.”

Hughes points to the Huskies’ silent attentiveness as Auriemma speaks.

“He’s like a musician. He uses the pauses and silence in the music.”

2) A little insight into how Geno view's his way of pushing his players

My expectations have not changed, but I think the way I go about it has changed,” he says. Fifteen years ago, he could demand that his players practice a defensive drill over and over until he got tired of watching. “Today, in the world they live in, I don’t know that I could do that and keep their attention.” He picks up his cellphone. “The circle of who they interact with is bigger. For instance, I can’t get my guys to hate the other team, because they’re all friends…. It’s a different world. I see it in their faces whenever I get really mad at them and explode—they get scared. They feel like there’s a part of me that thinks that I don’t like them … they have a difficult time discerning the difference between I don’t approve of what you just did and I don’t approve of you.”

3) Why UConn is about more than winning and why there is such passion in our fans.

“Do you think the person driving up from Danbury or Fairfield is driving to Gampel and the conversation is, ‘So, whaddya think—are our girls gonna win tonight?’ No. The conversation they’re having is, ‘I can’t wait to see them play.’ Guess what? I’m the same way. With our best teams, I go to practice and games saying, ‘I can’t wait to see what they’re gonna do.’ We have to play in a way that inspires people and makes them appreciate the game itself.’’

Reaction Score
Great article by the great Mike Stanton, who focuses mainly not on Geno or even basketball, but on the idea that the team has broad regional loyalty and therefore an inspiration for girls and young women. Hoping he's thinking of turning it into a book.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend taking 10 minutes to read this in-depth look at the program and part of its fandom:

University of Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball
Thank you so very much for the link. I’m a 12th generation Connecticut Yankee living in Kansas City, a proud alum, and a lifelong UConn fan.I hope to be back in sweet New England in another 2 years; and I expect special access to good seats at Gampel when I turn 103. By then Gampel may be replaced by the new and better facility known as the AD Center...officially titled The Auriemma-Dailey Center.

Splendid article.

I’ll be at the regional finals in KC wearing only moderately offensive Husky swag.

Reaction Score
Great, great article. I think Mike Stanton beautifully encapsulates why someone like me loves this team. I didn't go to UConn, I've never been in Connecticut, I live on the West Coast and I never miss a game on tv (and attend when they play in California).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom