A Summer Smidgen of Husky News | The Boneyard

A Summer Smidgen of Husky News

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The golf tournaments bring it out - Travelers this week. Geno's tourney next week will bring the kids themselves if tradition holds.

"First, I asked Geno Auriemma if there was any cause for concern after Kia Nurse bypassed the first two stages of training and the international friendlies with the Canadian national team. He said it was more of a case of Nurse not overloading her schedule.

"They thought she needed a little bit of a break and she thought she needed a little bit of a break but I think she is going to do something with them later on this summer (when Canada will be one of the top contenders to win the FIBA Americas title)," Auriemma said. "Obviously she is kind of torn, she doesn't want to miss training camp and our trip to Italy."

There is more about the team, the frosh...the sophs

http://www.westhartfordnews.com/blo...cle_d1ef7c4c-e34f-5f6e-b990-2d53dfa2b4d5.html

Reaction Score
THANKS ROCKY---THIS IS GREAT

Christine Dailey says:
you talk to (rising sophomore) Crystal (Dangerfield), there is a big difference between Crystal, Kyla (Irwin) and Molly (Bent) this year," Dailey said. "They know what to expect so you are dealing with four freshmen who no matter what they did, they are never going to be totally prepared. They haven't been challenged, they've had their moments where they've been to manage it and other times when they have really struggled. That is what is great about the summer, it gives them a chance to see what it is like so it kind of gives us a jump start."

With four starters returning, transfers Azura' Stevens and Batouly Camara eligible and four freshmen in the fold, UConn will be a much deeper team than a season ago.

"We have 13, only 1 or 2 more but it seems like a lot more," Dailey said. "I don't know how it is all going to pan out, where things are going to fall but it is a better problem to have than not to have enough so we are happy about that."

More on the freshmen will be coming on Monday when we get to talk to the UConn players during Auriemma's annual charity golf tournament at Hartford Golf Club.

Auriemma also addressed his rather hectic schedule this spring and summer which will include three different trips to Italy.

"I just got back from two weeks in Europe, some of it was work, some of it was a little bit of vacation," Auriemma said. "I am going to do a FIFA thing in Geneva, a coach's clinic in Stockholm, get ready to go to that 19-and-under thing (featuring Dangerfield, Walker and UConn recruiting target Christyn Williams), before you know it, our trip is going to come. It has kind of been hectic. I knew it would be.

"Sometimes I don't get to go in a long, long time and now I am going to go three times in one summer."

Auriemma has liked the reports he has been getting on his players.

"All the guys in school have been doing pretty good," Auriemma said. "School has been good, everybody has been doing well, the four freshmen are trying to figure things out."

Finally, I asked Dailey for her take on how rookie Saniya Chong has been doing with the Dallas Wings. Chong, a third-round pick, had six points and two rebounds in a win over San Antonio tonight. She is averaging 7.6 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists in the last six games

"She is doing a great job," Dailey said. "In that game (a win over Washington on June 18th) she made a huge 3 for them, I am happy for her, she seems to enjoy it. They are having some success and she is playing a role in that."

Reaction Score
1. you are dealing with four freshmen who no matter what they did, they are never going to be totally prepared. They haven't been challenged, they've had their moments where they've been to manage it and other times when they have really struggled. That is what is great about the summer, it gives them a chance to see what it is like so it kind of gives us a jump start."

2. With four starters returning, transfers Azura' Stevens and Batouly Camara eligible and four freshmen in the fold, UConn will be a much deeper team than a season ago.

Re: 1. This is why playing WCBB at UConn is one of the world's best educations. Look what these freshmen have to face right away: the toughest, most important of life's lessons.

Re: 2: 6 new active players (2 of whom were practice players last year, but couldn't take the floor in a game). Has UConn ever had 6 new active players on its team before? It's a big deal, as the coaches try various combinations early in the season (and since UConn plays an inverted schedule, with most of its toughest games early, it is very high stakes). Remember 2015/16, when Lou started, then Pheesa, then Gabby, then finally Lou again? (or was it Gabby before Pheesa?) They may well have to play around with a couple of combinations. Or maybe they'll just read the BY threads about who should start.

HGN

Reaction Score
The golf tournaments bring it out - Travelers this week. Geno's tourney next week will bring the kids themselves if tradition holds.

"First, I asked Geno Auriemma if there was any cause for concern after Kia Nurse bypassed the first two stages of training and the international friendlies with the Canadian national team. He said it was more of a case of Nurse not overloading her schedule.

"They thought she needed a little bit of a break and she thought she needed a little bit of a break but I think she is going to do something with them later on this summer (when Canada will be one of the top contenders to win the FIBA Americas title)," Auriemma said. "Obviously she is kind of torn, she doesn't want to miss training camp and our trip to Italy."

There is more about the team, the frosh...the sophs

Catching up with UConn coaches at the Travelers
Thanks Rocky for posting that sniff and tasty morsel......When a beggar is hungry a sniff and tasty morsel seems like a meal.

If you find something else please throw us bone.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Always glad for a little "red meat" -news during the slow summer months. This one garners a 1-hambone rating (like a Michelin star)

steak 1.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Christine Dailey says:
you talk to (rising sophomore) Crystal (Dangerfield), there is a big difference between Crystal, Kyla (Irwin) and Molly (Bent) this year," Dailey said. "They know what to expect so you are dealing with four freshmen who no matter what they did, they are never going to be totally prepared. They haven't been challenged, they've had their moments where they've been to manage it and other times when they have really struggled. That is what is great about the summer, it gives them a chance to see what it is like so it kind of gives us a jump start."

With four starters returning, transfers Azura' Stevens and Batouly Camara eligible and four freshmen in the fold, UConn will be a much deeper team than a season ago.

"We have 13, only 1 or 2 more but it seems like a lot more," Dailey said. "I don't know how it is all going to pan out, where things are going to fall but it is a better problem to have than not to have enough so we are happy about that."

More on the freshmen will be coming on Monday when we get to talk to the UConn players during Auriemma's annual charity golf tournament at Hartford Golf Club.

Auriemma also addressed his rather hectic schedule this spring and summer which will include three different trips to Italy.

"I just got back from two weeks in Europe, some of it was work, some of it was a little bit of vacation," Auriemma said. "I am going to do a FIFA thing in Geneva, a coach's clinic in Stockholm, get ready to go to that 19-and-under thing (featuring Dangerfield, Walker and UConn recruiting target Christyn Williams), before you know it, our trip is going to come. It has kind of been hectic. I knew it would be.

"Sometimes I don't get to go in a long, long time and now I am going to go three times in one summer."

Auriemma has liked the reports he has been getting on his players.

"All the guys in school have been doing pretty good," Auriemma said. "School has been good, everybody has been doing well, the four freshmen are trying to figure things out."

Finally, I asked Dailey for her take on how rookie Saniya Chong has been doing with the Dallas Wings. Chong, a third-round pick, had six points and two rebounds in a win over San Antonio tonight. She is averaging 7.6 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists in the last six games

"She is doing a great job," Dailey said. "In that game (a win over Washington on June 18th) she made a huge 3 for them, I am happy for her, she seems to enjoy it. They are having some success and she is playing a role in that."

I think the Fair Use Doctrine just flew over the cuckoo's nest! If the Copyright Police show up at your door Broadway, go with the stuck key defense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Re: 1. This is why playing WCBB at UConn is one of the world's best educations. Look what these freshmen have to face right away: the toughest, most important of life's lessons.

Re: 2: 6 new active players (2 of whom were practice players last year, but couldn't take the floor in a game). Has UConn ever had 6 new active players on its team before? It's a big deal, as the coaches try various combinations early in the season (and since UConn plays an inverted schedule, with most of its toughest games early, it is very high stakes). Remember 2015/16, when Lou started, then Pheesa, then Gabby, then finally Lou again? (or was it Gabby before Pheesa?) They may well have to play around with a couple of combinations. Or maybe they'll just read the BY threads about who should start.

The bewildering bitch (can I say bitch on the BY) of being a UConn coach: picking from the cornucopia of talent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If they do, you know we'll have a definitive answer for them. Sometimes the Boneyard is like a crystal ball...................we see all and know all!! :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The bewildering bitch (can I say bitch on the BY) of being a UConn coach: picking from the cornucopia of talent.

I'll bet more than once this coming season, Geno is going to turn and look down his bench (loaded with super talented players) and pinch himself to make sure he's not dreaming. :D

Reaction Score
I think the Fair Use Doctrine just flew over the cuckoo's nest! If the Copyright Police show up at your door Broadway, go with the stuck key defense.
I have a
I think the Fair Use Doctrine just flew over the cuckoo's nest! If the Copyright Police show up at your door Broadway, go with the stuck key defense.[/QUOTE
I have a Harvard Attorney team working on just that---what constitute "infringement"? The use of 2, 3, 4, 5 or 7 paragraph from an article--since I don't take credit for that posted--and thanked you for identifying it. It would appear there was no "intent" make a profit from it or to widely publish it.
I'm not sure about the cockoo's nest---but if there is one I'm sure to see one within.

Reaction Score

It too is my belief that Geno/Christine/Shea/Marisa shall, unfortunately (???) , have to play around with combinations--and maybe settle in with 2 or 3 singular groups for specific opponents--and Geno as always shall rely on his tried and true (??) 8 member rotation. Doug (DePaul) plays a near platoon subtitution method--But Geno has--poor Geno--Collier, Williams, Samuelson, Nurse--Danger, Megan, Erwin, Stevens, etc, etc, etc---

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Chris that having more players is a better "problem."

Something to note in the "red meat" category: "More on the freshmen will be coming on Monday when we get to talk to the UConn players during Auriemma's annual charity golf tournament at Hartford Golf Club."

Reaction Score
As Geno says: "If you can't do it with 8, you can't do it with 88." Last year we did not have 8; not an excuse, but a fact.

The FACT is the experience and experienced talented dropped off dramatically after 5---it was what it was. To use an excuse, which you didn't do, for the level of play and accomplishment for last years team==moves from a venial sin to a severe mortal sin. They, in all regards exceeded expectations and some desires.
I differ with Geno on occasion and this is one--88 is a bit over the NCAA roster numbers.
But he has had and has used over 8 and has been successful--admittedly, it's more work
but work or no work --Geno must have a constant smile on his kisser--which began at the end of the FF4 game--and is still there thinking of the disasters he shall be dumping on many NCAA teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
moves from a venial sin to a severe mortal sin

Venal, Broadway, but I quibble. hat you say is exactly what I meant with my cryptic "no excuse". There is no need for any excuse or apologia for te 2016-2017 team, which more than held its own in the pantheon of UConn teams. A misalignment of the stars was their undoing; they were the best team. The best team doesn't always win.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does anyone know, or have any information on if the Italy summer games will be live streamed, or perhaps available on a delayed (podcast) basis? I'll bet most UConn fans (like me) are interested in getting a "first look" at this year's team, as they play those 5 exhibition games this summer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone know, or have any information on if the Italy summer games will be live streamed, or perhaps available on a delayed (podcast) basis? I'll bet most UConn fans (like me) are interested in getting a "first look" at this year's team, as they play those 5 exhibition games this summer.
I suspect we will get some reporting on the games and perhaps some of the Italian clubs will have video, but I doubt any US outlet will try to broadcast what are essential exhibition games. Hopefully we get some video from Uconn as well, but doubtful that it includes m,ore than a few selected clips of game action.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The box scores from the last trip were a bit irregular. I think Tiffany shot 9 for 8 in one game. Even Maya and Diana can't do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom