A six-figure payday? Why UConn’s Paige Bueckers could cash in | The Boneyard

A six-figure payday? Why UConn’s Paige Bueckers could cash in

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting article. But I think the estimation of a “six-figure payday” may just be short by one-figure.

Nike recently signed 19 year old US track star Athing Mu to a multi-year contract with a base salary of $750,000 per year, plus performance bonuses that would put her over $1 million if she wins the Olympic 800 meters, her signature event.

I’m guessing Paige’s deals, with whomever she signs, will be considerably north of that amount.

Reaction Score
That crashing you're hearing is the beginning of the collapse of the NCAA and its "student-athlete" farce. Developmental leagues for men and women b-ballers are just around the corner. If you can make big bucks while learning the skills, why not skip college altogether? That's how Europe does it for soccer and basketball.

Good luck to Paige and many happy paydays to her!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That crashing you're hearing is the beginning of the collapse of the NCAA and its "student-athlete" farce. Developmental leagues for men and women b-ballers are just around the corner. If you can make big bucks while learning the skills, why not skip college altogether? That's how Europe does it for soccer and basketball.

Developmental leagues don’t have the exposure that college football and basketball has. That’s why we don’t see minor league baseball players or basketball players in the G-League striking it rich.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Well maybe they still desire to get an education, for free at that. That is still the primary goal of most of these athletes, knowing full well that they can't play as long as Sue Bird. Even for Sue, 40 is young in the normal world, so I'm sure she values the education she received at UConn.

Reaction Score
Well maybe they still desire to get an education, for free at that. That is still the primary goal of most of these athletes, knowing full well that they can't play as long as Sue Bird. Even for Sue, 40 is young in the normal world, so I'm sure she values the education she received at UConn.
Maybe there needs to be a separate league for the college players that are more focused on their sport versus just a normal student-athlete that plans to go pro in something else? If all of the top tier college players are just going to be pros instead of student-athletes, I'd rather just watch pros.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe there needs to be a separate league for the college players that are more focused on their sport versus just a normal student-athlete that plans to go pro in something else? If all of the top tier college players are just going to be pros instead of student-athletes, I'd rather just watch pros.
I believe it’s called D-1.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Some help needed here. The Azzi/Paige interview...I get no sound. How do I get it..what key to hit?
That is also true [for me anyway] in several threads where there is an interview but no sound.
Got wisdom?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some help needed here. The Azzi/Paige interview...I get no sound. How do I get it..what key to hit?
That is also true [for me anyway] in several threads where there is an interview but no sound.
Got wisdom?
The microphone icon does not work for you?

1625838381412.png

Reaction Score
I believe it’s called D-1.
No a separate league that is perhaps not part of the NCAA because the top players in D-1 aren't student-athletes now that they are getting paid because of their athletic abilities.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No a separate league that is perhaps not part of the NCAA because the top players in D-1 aren't student-athletes now that they are getting paid because of their athletic abilities.
Since maybe 10 players may make more money outside the college system which can offer lucrative scholarship packages, that would be a small league.

Reaction Score
Developmental leagues don’t have the exposure that college football and basketball has. That’s why we don’t see minor league baseball players or basketball players in the G-League striking it rich.

But that's only because, for men b-ballers, the pro prospects don't stay longer than a year in college. Europe turns out tremendous pros in soccer and basketball without a college league. In the U.S., it's only the NCAA, the big networks, and the big power leagues that make money, not the athletes. If athletes can spend four years learning their craft while getting paid and also getting endorsement bucks, why not?

Again, the "exposure" only benefits the college sports industry, not the athletes. The NCAA is going down!

Reaction Score

Minor league baseball makes good money for a lot of owners. Lots of attendance at AAA games, as well as lower leagues. Most players don't make much, but the big prospects get big bonuses, as well as salaries.

Just a matter of time until the courts or the players union forces WNBA owners to draft underclass athletes, just as the NBA now does.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your talking about setting up a type of minor league system, which already exists in baseball and MBB. There are numerous problems with trying to do that for football or WBB.

First of all, most D-1 athletes are not headed to the pros. The educational opportunity that their athletic scholarship provides them is of paramount importance.

Secondly, as I pointed out in another post, the tv and media exposure for minor league athletes doesn’t come close to the multi-billion $ exposure they receive with D-1 college sports. NIL opportunities are far greater for football players at Alabama & Clemson than they would ever be with the Tuscaloosa Ranglers or the SC Bulldogs.

Finally, where exactly is the money going to come from to set up a so-called “super league” that only takes the very top athletes in football & WBB? They would be squeezed out by big time colleges on one side and professional leagues on the other.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Minor league baseball makes good money for a lot of owners. Lots of attendance at AAA games, as well as lower leagues. Most players don't make much, but the big prospects get big bonuses, as well as salaries.

Just a matter of time until the courts or the players union forces WNBA owners to draft underclass athletes, just as the NBA now does.
If I’m a top college WBB player making 6 or 7 figures off my NIL, why would I ever want to go to a professional league with far less media exposure, to earn a rookie salary of $69,000? Some WBB players could be looking at a pay cut to turn pro.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your talking about setting up a type of minor league system, which already exists in baseball and MBB. There are numerous problems with trying to do that for football or WBB.

First of all, most D-1 athletes are not headed to the pros. The educational opportunity that their athletic scholarship provides them is of paramount importance.

Secondly, as I pointed out in another post, the tv and media exposure for minor league athletes doesn’t come close to the multi-billion $ exposure they receive with D-1 college sports. NIL opportunities are far greater for football players at Alabama & Clemson than they would ever be with the Tuscaloosa Ranglers or the SC Bulldogs.

Finally, where exactly is the money going to come from to set up a so-called “super league” that only takes the very top athletes in football & WBB? They would be squeezed out by big time colleges on one side and professional leagues on the other.
If they are not student-athletes they should not be playing for a university or college, so all of the other questions you pose become someone else's problem.

Reaction Score

The problem is that most of those non-stellar athletes neither go to the pros, nor get a decent education. Even Stanford has published a pamphlet for its athletes that tries to steer them into the easiest courses and majors. Most college athletes graduate with worthless degrees and no pro prospects. It's time that scholarships went to kids who have the academic promise, and to students who will benefit from real degrees in real majors. And that includes students of color, who are far too frequently used for their athletic talent, then discarded without receiving degrees.

Reaction Score

But male college athletes really get very little exposure in college, since they're only there for one season. Most of their "exposure" and the money they results comes when they enter the pros.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Good.

The NBA and NFL shouldn’t be getting a free minor league on tax payer dime.

Fans root for the laundry anyway.

the Q

Reaction Score
If I’m a top college WBB player making 6 or 7 figures off my NIL, why would I ever want to go to a professional league with far less media exposure, to earn a rookie salary of $69,000? Some WBB players could be looking at a pay cut to turn pro.

I recall a few WNBA stars say they play in the WNBA to get the health insurance

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If some millionaire or company tried to set up a so called semi-pro league for WBB, who would watch them play? How would the league make money? The developmental league for the NFL and WNBA is COLLEGE football and COLLEGE womens basketball. If there are enough really good players out there, then the WNBA will expand. If they are not good enough for the WNBA, and they don't take the opportunity to attend college for free, they are going no where. The WNBA has worked extremely hard for 25 years to make that league viable, so how can someone even imagine that a lessor league could exist? Come on, lets get real here.

the Q

Reaction Score
If some millionaire or company tried to set up a so called semi-pro league for WBB, who would watch them play? How would the league make money? The developmental league for the NFL and WNBA is COLLEGE football and COLLEGE womens basketball. If there are enough really good players out there, then the WNBA will expand. If they are not good enough for the WNBA, and they don't take the opportunity to attend college for free, they are going no where. The WNBA has worked extremely hard for 25 years to make that league viable, so how can someone even imagine that a lessor league could exist? Come on, lets get real here.

Viable would mean being able to pay its own bills.

So trying to create another league seems nuts to me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom