A shout out to Brianna Banks | The Boneyard

A shout out to Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She's come a long way since early in the season when she was struggling to learn the offense. Last night she had a couple of terrific defensive plays and one rebound that was eye-popping. The kid must have springs in her legs. Her line from last night was respectable - she's coming along nicely in her development at the point.

4 points (2-3, no forced shots), 2 reb, 3 assists, 1 turnover against the press, 1 steal

Modest stats but I saw a player under control playing with intensity. Good for Brianna!

Reaction Score
I like her attitude since the break last month. She's a willing learner with great natural gifts, and that's a potent combination.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I confess to following BBanks around with my eyes most of the time she is on the court - she has this combo of stealth and explosiveness that really is amazing. I'm always watching for her to pounce or shoot up in the air out of nowhere.

Granted she is still on a steep learning curve, but to me she is a fundamentally 'different' type of talent and raw athletic skill set than anyone I've seen play for the Huskies (I did not see Swanier so I can't compare). And I am also thankful that it was Bria, not BBanks, that was thrown to the wolves as a frosh last year. Banks is benefitting from having less pressure put on her game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She made her first three point shot against DePaul.

Now if she can crack her first smile on the court, we'll really be in business.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Granted she is still on a steep learning curve, but to me she is a fundamentally 'different' type of talent and raw athletic skill set than anyone I've seen play for the Huskies (I did not see Swanier so I can't compare). And I am also thankful that it was Bria, not BBanks, that was thrown to the wolves as a frosh last year. Banks is benefitting from having less pressure put on her game.
If we're comparing BB to former Huskies, I would say she's more Ashley Battle than Ketia Swanier, although obviously she's not exactly like either.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If we're comparing BB to former Huskies, I would say she's more Ashley Battle than Ketia Swanier, although obviously she's not exactly like either.

I'm thinking Kenitra Johnson maybe?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
She's come a long way since early in the season when she was struggling to learn the offense. Last night she had a couple of terrific defensive plays and one rebound that was eye-popping. The kid must have springs in her legs. Her line from last night was respectable - she's coming along nicely in her development at the point.

4 points (2-3, no forced shots), 2 reb, 3 assists, 1 turnover against the press, 1 steal

Modest stats but I saw a player under control playing with intensity. Good for Brianna!

BB set a UConn and NCAA record last night for "longest ever belly slide on the court."

I don't remember what the time on the clock was; but there was a loose ball on the floor near mid-court, and 3 or 4 players contending to "capture" it. Bria started from near the free throw line, took three or four very quick steps, and launched herself (at top speed) into a belly slide that took her all the way to the ball -- which she did capture. It was, by a very large margin, the longest dive on the floor I have ever seen.

I don't know if Geno saw this live, but I'm sure he will catch it during the film review; and, either way, it will put a huge smile on his face.

I'll replay the game tonight and report the time on the clock to help y'all find it.
It may be the best play of the year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'm thinking maybe Rita Williams? i think BB is more slight than the other's mentioned, but i'm not sure...

images

Here's a picture of Kennitra. hard to tell i guess...

t1_johnson_ap_01.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'll replay the game tonight and report the time on the clock to help y'all find it.

I don't know if it's the best play of the year but my favorite play from last night's game was by Tiff - I think she got the ball stolen at our end, but regardless she went on a mad dash down the floor to pick the SU girl's pocket in turn, and get the ball back for us. It was just such an all-out effort play, and so "Tiff" in the way she went about it. I just wanted to take my hat off to the kid. That play was like a microcosm of what she means to the program. I have to go back tonight and find it on Hoop Streams.

P.S. I think we were up 30 or so when she made the play. How many other programs have players willing to make that play when they're up 30?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
and Ashley Battle. this won't let me put more than 2 pictures in a post...

ashleybattle_large.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did any of these players have BBanks' hops? The only player I've seen with similar athleticism is Lorin Dixon, but BBanks has a better handle and ability to stay in control while penetrating, while also being a lot longer of course

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did any of these players have BBanks' hops? The only player I've seen with similar athleticism is Lorin Dixon, but BBanks has a better handle and ability to stay in control while penetrating, while also being a lot longer of course
i don't think so. maybe the best comparison would be a metaphorical spawn of Lorin Dixon and Ashley Battle...

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
i don't think so. maybe the best comparison would be a metaphorical spawn of Lorin Dixon and Ashley Battle...

There are no close comparisons for Banks. She is unique in many ways; and she "is the fastest/quickest player in UConn history." (The quote is from Geno.)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would compare Brianna to Tiffany -- speed, ball-handling, leaping ability to get rebounds, defense and steals, and a somewhat uncertain jump shot. I don't think Brianna is faster or quicker than Tiffany, but she is roughly comparable.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There are no close comparisons for Banks. She is unique in many ways; and she "is the fastest/quickest player in UConn history." (The quote is from Geno.)

The scary thing is, you get the feeling she doesn't even know how good she could eventually be. I think KML and Bria "know". Stef knows to some extent. Maya always knew; that was one her great gifts. But I don't think Brianna has the foggiest (yet).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
BB set a UConn and NCAA record last night for "longest ever belly slide on the court."

Paging Biff

sTu

Reaction Score
And Banks may have the "fastest" title for all of one year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Banks is such a thoroughbred that she makes most other players (except only Tiffany) look like Clydesdales.

She and Kiah are easing into the rotation nicely and causing opponents' guards sleepless nights after watching game films.

This kid has got game!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brianna looks faster, just standing still, than just about anyone--male or female--that I have ever seen. Diamond may be a taller version of the same.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Brianna looks faster, just standing still, than just about anyone--male or female--that I have ever seen. Diamond may be a taller version of the same.
The younger thinner Tiff of her freshman year looked faster than the stronger thicker Tiff of today. I am not sure it is true, however.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The younger thinner Tiff of her freshman year looked faster than the stronger thicker Tiff of today. I am not sure it is true, however.
I agree...

Reaction Score
I agree...
I don't know either. But imagine next year when Banks and Jefferson are on the court together. Now that's a speedy tandem that will cause defensive havoc together.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know either. But imagine next year when Banks and Jefferson are on the court together. Now that's a speedy tandem that will cause defensive havoc together.
This is most certainly true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger