A Season Preview (Part One) | The Boneyard

A Season Preview (Part One)

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
My take on the upcoming season. Part one is the players, with a second part to cover the schedule, coaching and playing style.

Starters

Nika

Strengths – aggressive defender and pass first point guard. Good rebounder for a guard. Vocal team leader. The player opponents love to hate.
Questions - needs to show a mid range game along with the threat to drive to be at her best.

Azzi
Strengths – one of the best shooters in WCBB. Effective pull up jumper and strength to drive to the rim. Has the ability to be a consistent 18 – 20 ppg scorer. Good position defender and willing passer with high bball IQ .
Questions – needs to be aggressive to get fouls and take advantage of superior FT shooting. Is she a possible backup PG for Nika? Has the handle and smarts to play PG.

Caroline
Strengths – effective scorer from all three levels. Willing passer. Hi IQ leads to steals and blocks on the defensive end. Should be a double figure scorer.
Questions – recovering from off season hip surgery. Needs to stay healthy to be consistent as a dependable starter.

Aaliyah
Strengths – strong rebounder and defender. Big time motor. Sets a mean pick. Decent mid range jumper. Tough around the hoop.
Questions – game to game consistency. Has the potential to average double figure ppg scoring.

Dorka
Strengths – effective scorer and passer from the high post. Good rebounder and position defender at 6’5”. Smart 5th year player. Runs the floor well.
Questions – recovering from wrist surgery. Has the potential to average double figures in scoring and rebounding (as she did at Ohio St).

The Bench

Lou

Probably the first offensive sub off the bench for Caroline or Azzi. Aggressive and effective scorer from all three levels. Hopefully she can make the jump to decent position defender. Has great experience as a 5th year player.

Aubrey
If she can return from injury to her soph year form she will be a great on ball defender and disrupter. Effective as a wing defender but has leaping ability to be strong in the post. Good rebounder. Can sub for any position but PG. If she can make improvements in her mid to 3 pt shooting watch out.

Ice
May be the most ready to contribute as a freshman. Strong scorer from inside and mid range with potential 3 pt contributions. Effective rebounder can sub in for either forward position.

Ayanna
Superior leaping ability, strength and defensive potential. Can she be an effective sub for AE or Caroline? Time will tell. Any (made) dunk is a bonus.

Amari
Showed flashes of high post scoring and passing in limited minutes last year. Can she make the jump to good practices that will translate to PT subbing for Dorka? Consistency in play that can get her more minutes would really help this team. Time will tell.

Ines
Potential sub at PG for Nika or Azzi. Hopefully she can make the jump to playing on this level because the overall guard skills are there.

Page
Great teammate, head cheerleader and unpaid assistant coach. Hopefully a PG whisperer for Nika and Azzi. Always a leader – this year off the court. Invaluable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice work! Thanks! In the context of Paige being injured and acting as a coach, you know who tore her ACL, missed most of a season, and absorbed all of what Geno was teaching from the bench? The person shown here--with 5 Gold Medals. It worked out ok for her.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 125
Reaction Score
Nice synopsis. Only thing I'd change is that Lou will probably sub for Nika as well as Azzi and Caroline. I think we'll some minutes with all three shooters on the floor.

Also, Coach P will be critical. If they let her have that whistle and clipboard, look out!

Reaction Score
Nice synopsis. Only thing I'd change is that Lou will probably sub for Nika as well as Azzi and Caroline. I think we'll some minutes with all three shooters on the floor.

Also, Coach P will be critical. If they let her have that whistle and clipboard, look out!
Is the coach P thing in jest?

Reaction Score
Is the coach P thing in jest?
Head Coach in Waiting PB will be carrying the clipboard and whistle while Head Coach in Trial Retirement Geno will be watching practice virtually from his home recliner. LOL

Reaction Score
When a joke elicits this response, a simple yes or no will not suffice.
Ok. Just never know if some posters are serious. We’ve seen ridiculous post over the years.

Reaction Score
Now back to Coach P, she knows how to get their best effort out of every player on this team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would not take the Coach P thing too seriously. No matter how good, respected and well liked a player is, other players won't for long want a friend of the same age critiquing things and coaching can't be done without some level of criticism.

The positive part where she interprets what the coaches want and helps her teammates understand it, she already does I am sure.

Maybe she would actually be invited by the coaches into coach meetings to add some input away from the other players

Reaction Score
Now you’re just mocking me.

Coach P for coach of the year!

Nika: “She’s not my coach. No way.”

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Yep, when I saw the little clip of Paige announcing she was going to be head coach. I smiled and laughed.

Then I read Coaches comments about Paige being a coach on the bench. Again, I smiled and laughed.

As information has slowly trickled out it's my understanding that in fact, Paige will be on the bench preforming the duties of an assistant.

The smile is still on my face but I'm not laughing. A kid with Paige's abilities, working in an assistants capacity under the direction of Geno, Chris, and the rest of the stuff. Will not be a vacation.

I suspect that the processes she will be immersed in this season will vastly expand her abilities going forward. What occurs to me is the potential development of Paige's knowledge and understanding of the game more so than actually being on the floor as a player.

Reaction Score

Agree-I think this could very well be the end of game lineup in close games. Azzi can handle the point and have those two on the wings.

Reaction Score
Yep, when I saw the little clip of Paige announcing she was going to be head coach. I smiled and laughed.

Then I read Coaches comments about Paige being a coach on the bench. Again, I smiled and laughed.

As information has slowly trickled out it's my understanding that in fact, Paige will be on the bench preforming the duties of an assistant.

The smile is still on my face but I'm not laughing. A kid with Paige's abilities, working in an assistants capacity under the direction of Geno, Chris, and the rest of the stuff. Will not be a vacation.

I suspect that the processes she will be immersed in this season will vastly expand her abilities going forward. What occurs to me is the potential development of Paige's knowledge and understanding of the game more so than actually being on the floor as a player.
I think it's great that she'll have the opportunity to do this. Not sure if it's a common practice, but it sounds like an excellent way to keep injured players engaged during the season, when it makes sense to do so.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score

The smile is still on my face but I'm not laughing. A kid with Paige's abilities, working in an assistants capacity under Geno, Chris, and the rest of the stuff. Will Not, be a vacation. I suspect that the processes she will be immersed in this season will vastly expand her abilities going forward and could actually advance "her" career this year than being on the floor as a player.

talking about turning sour grapes to wine!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom