A Respite at UConn | The Boneyard

A Respite at UConn

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With most students having gone home for Thanksgiving and not scheduled to return to campus until the start of the Spring Semester in January, there are now only 700 students remaining at Storrs according to the school’s coronavirus dashboard. The number of positive cases is down to only 2, the lowest number since students started returning in August. It’s not clear if the 2 positive cases are those identified by UConn WBB.

This represents something of a respite for students, faculty and staff who have been dealing head on with the pandemic for the past few weeks with increasing positive cases, dormitory quarantines and, in the case of WBB, cancellation of both team practices and games. With only 2 active cases and a limited number of students on campus, the University will hopefully be able to establish and maintain a relatively safe environment, at least until the spring semester.

Fingers crossed.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looking at UConn’s revised schedule, it looks like the Huskies will have a chance to get 6 games in by the end of January, assuming that UConn and their opponents all remain free from additional Covid cases. Four conference matchups will ramp up the schedule to a couple big road tests vs Baylor and TN. After January we’ll have to see how it goes.

Reaction Score
The more and more I think of this season and the way the state and University itself are handling quarantine periods, the more I think there is no possible way we play 13 games.

Say on day 13 or this 14-day pause someone tests positive again for Covid, we start the cycle all over again. I just don't see how it will be remotely possible to play even 10 games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The more and more I think of this season and the way the state and University itself are handling quarantine periods, the more I think there is no possible way we play 13 games.

Say on day 13 or this 14-day pause someone tests positive again for Covid, we start the cycle all over again. I just don't see how it will be remotely possible to play even 10 games.
I’ll be happy to get the 1st game in and go from there. The unfortunate thing is that UConn WBB almost made it to Thanksgiving without a positive case, at which point the risk dropped significantly at Storrs. That would have meant 2 games already, and 2 more on the schedule this week.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With most students having gone home for Thanksgiving and not scheduled to return to campus until the start of the Spring Semester in January, there are now only 700 students remaining at Storrs according to the school’s coronavirus dashboard. The number of positive cases is down to only 2, the lowest number since students started returning in August. It’s not clear if the 2 positive cases are those identified by UConn WBB.

This represents something of a respite for students, faculty and staff who have been dealing head on with the pandemic for the past few weeks with increasing positive cases, dormitory quarantines and, in the case of WBB, cancellation of both team practices and games. With only 2 active cases and a limited number of students on campus, the University will hopefully be able to establish and maintain a relatively safe environment, at least until the spring semester.

Fingers crossed.....
Until of course the student body returns from their super spreader family get togethers and this cycle begins again. Please take the vaccine when offered people.

Reaction Score

Agreed, especially since we have an additional week + between the end of the 14 day shutdown & the first game on the schedule. Effectively our season is already 3 weeks shorter than some other programs. (Arkansas could play 8 games before we play 1!)

If it looks like we are having trouble getting to 13 games, hopefully the program can schedule some in state games with the likes of Hartford, Quinnipiac, CCSU, or Fairfield. Seen a lot of other programs scheduling new opponents when COVID has interrupted the schedule. Like Depaul replacing us against Louisville at Mohegan!

Reaction Score
Hopefully all involved will take precautions even when they go home for the day. I live in South Dakota, the nation's hot spot, and I've witnessed workplaces take every precaution only to see one person attend Sturgis and things blow up from there. I've been blessed to be Covid free from the get go and at one point I was exposed to somebody who had it but didn't get it myself. I wear my mask religiously and I also carry my hand sanitizer. I also keep distance even with family so I'm a firm believer that using common sense helps tremendously. I still go and do things on a daily basis so it's not like I'm cooped up either. I hope this serves as a lesson for all involved to be extra cautious..

Reaction Score
Agreed, especially since we have an additional week + between the end of the 14 day shutdown & the first game on the schedule. Effectively our season is already 3 weeks shorter than some other programs. (Arkansas could play 8 games before we play 1!)

If it looks like we are having trouble getting to 13 games, hopefully the program can schedule some in state games with the likes of Hartford, Quinnipiac, CCSU, or Fairfield. Seen a lot of other programs scheduling new opponents when COVID has interrupted the schedule. Like Depaul replacing us against Louisville at Mohegan!
Have to be careful about who we schedule as replacement games. I don't know how the NCAA is going to do this, or how much it will be enforced, but they are supposedly not going to allow games against lower level opponents to count towards the 13. Maybe at some point they'll realize a lot of teams won't make the tourney unless they loosen up the requirements. Potential for more long standing UConn streaks to be broken by the Covid seasons.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Have to be careful about who we schedule as replacement games. I don't know how the NCAA is going to do this, or how much it will be enforced, but they are supposedly not going to allow games against lower level opponents to count towards the 13. Maybe at some point they'll realize a lot of teams won't make the tourney unless they loosen up the requirements. Potential for more long standing UConn streaks to be broken by the Covid seasons.
If it means more MONEY, they will loosen up!

Reaction Score
If it means more MONEY, they will loosen up!
It'll be interesting when the selection show rolls around. They will be forced to take some teams with records that ordinarily wouldn't get consideration I think. I'm guessing there's a good chance that conference tourneys get canceled which throws a monkey wrench into the auto-bid process. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this. March madness is an eternity from now.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting when the selection show rolls around. They will be forced to take some teams with records that ordinarily wouldn't get consideration I think. I'm guessing there's a good chance that conference tourneys get canceled which throws a monkey wrench into the auto-bid process. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this. March madness is an eternity from now.

Invite 256 teams and play one extra weekend.

Reaction Score
Should be simple. There might only be 64 teams still active by then.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
OR......declare the last active team as the National Champions.

Reaction Score
The variable that is most important is the mode of transportation, and ITS cleanliness! That will be the Achilles's heal....

Reaction Score
Hopefully all involved will take precautions even when they go home for the day. I live in South Dakota, the nation's hot spot, and I've witnessed workplaces take every precaution only to see one person attend Sturgis and things blow up from there. I've been blessed to be Covid free from the get go and at one point I was exposed to somebody who had it but didn't get it myself. I wear my mask religiously and I also carry my hand sanitizer. I also keep distance even with family so I'm a firm believer that using common sense helps tremendously. I still go and do things on a daily basis so it's not like I'm cooped up either. I hope this serves as a lesson for all involved to be extra cautious..
My sister lives in SD and she tells me her governor treats this thing like a hoax. Keep up the mitigation efforts and stay safe. Continue to protect yourself and others.

Reaction Score

When you say "lower level opponents", according to the NCAA guidelines, that simply means no games vs D2 or D3 teams will count towards the required 13. But games with lower-level D1's, such as Hartford or Fairfield, are perfectly OK.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As of this morning, UConn is down to only 1 positive case at Storrs. For whomever that individual is, it must be particularly lonely living by themselves in the quarantine dorm.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

On day 13, these folks will have been quarantined into their pods for 13 days, so only their pod would be resetting their quarantine. The rest of the team would not have to reset and could play and practice.

Reaction Score
As of this morning, UConn is down to only 1 positive case at Storrs. For whomever that individual is, it must be particularly lonely living by themselves in the quarantine dorm.
My daughter not at Uconn got it in September. For fall semester all students had their own rooms. When she tested positive she was told she would have to move to a different dorm and room with another student who also tested positive. Rules would be 14 days quarantine no visitors cafeteria food delivered to your door cold no leaving your room no way to do laundry. My wife who you never want to stand between her and her daughters called the university. Daughter was allowed to quarantine in her own room. Both of my daughters at different universities got it and got over it with minimal short term symptoms. It’s a stressful situation to be in. Not much you can do about it as a parent.

Reaction Score
My daughter not at Uconn got it in September. For fall semester all students had their own rooms. When she tested positive she was told she would have to move to a different dorm and room with another student who also tested positive. Rules would be 14 days quarantine no visitors cafeteria food delivered to your door cold no leaving your room no way to do laundry. My wife who you never want to stand between her and her daughters called the university. Daughter was allowed to quarantine in her own room. Both of my daughters at different universities got it and got over it with minimal short term symptoms. It’s a stressful situation to be in. Not much you can do about it as a parent.
Glad to hear they're okay!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom