A Relaxed Conversation With Auriemma | The Boneyard

A Relaxed Conversation With Auriemma

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun listening though nothing really new.

One item that struck me - Geno is asked who he had as a mentor and he starts listing all the great men's coaches who were around Philly when he was growing up and then he describes the layout when he was at UVA and how he was right near the visiting men's locker room and could listen in to the pre, halftime, and post game for another list of great men's coaches. It struck me how he wasn't listing any of the old generation of women's coaches and I know he respects and admires some of them but as influences he was listing men's coaches.

And I think it speaks to what was different in what he brought to the women's game, and his success. He was one of the first to really bring the 'mature' (as in much longer history) of the men's offensive and defensive principles to his team and to WCBB.

He wasn't alone - I think I remember both Tara and Muffet also talking about men's coaches influencing their development.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno's discussion of NIL was interesting and perfect. He said NIL never came up with his 2022 recruits and not one mention of NIL when recruiting Arnold, Shade or Samuels.

He said: "Our [UConn] brand will make you a lot of money if you're any good. But, if the first thing you talk about when we're recruiting you is NIL, we're out."

Reaction Score
I love interviews like this where you get to see the real Geno not a filtered version. He has it where it counts and that is why he is successful.

Reaction Score
Three things stood out for me:
First, I am not familiar at all with the interviewer but he was excellent.
Second, I love when Auriemma thinks and ponders and then thinks and ponders some more with the question of who he would have wanted in his network. I have seen him do that in interviews before and I think it tells a great deal about him, that he wants to give a “real” answer, not just throw something out there to get to the next question.
And finally, Walt Frazier, by far my favorite athlete of all time, a great ball player but better person, someone who personifies individuality and class and giving back a thousand times over.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Doing a search for Auriemma interviews on YouTube leads to lots of choices. Any suggestions for narrowing the search parameter?

BTW, if you use the words Auriemma and relaxed in the search, you’ll apparently get responses related to his hair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom