A reason for optimism | The Boneyard

A reason for optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
From Des's article last night on recruiting taller players (http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) :

Highsmith To Stay

Middletown's Dario Highsmith, who announced he would attend UConn as a preferred walk-on Monday, then received a full scholarship offer from Army Monday night, has decided to honor his commitment to the Huskies, his father told the Courant Tuesday night. ... Diaco will have a 4 p.m. press conference Wednesday.

All I can say is WOW! This young man was offered a full scholarship from Army and elected to to be a preferred walk-on at UConn? Yes, I think Uconn SHOULD beat Army in football every time they play. I also think that anyone accepted at Army clearly has their act together. I'm not saying we should go try to steal Army's recruits, but the fact that Dario Highsmith is turning down an Army scholarship to walk-on at UConn says a lot about the future of Uconn and it's perception in the eyes of recruits. I wish Dario the best as a Husky! Go Dogs!

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled that Dario has decided to stay and wish him all the best, but I'm a bit confused about his being offered a 'full scholarship' at Army. All players, AND students, at West Point receive 'full scholarships'. Hope he receives one at UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm happy he's staying but West Point is a great place to get an education, not that UConn isn't but it's not one of the national academies. I'd love to know his thought process.

Reaction Score
I'm happy he's staying but West Point is a great place to get an education, not that UConn isn't but it's not one of the national academies. I'd love to know his thought process.
West Point isn't just a school, it's the US army. If you don't want to join the army then it isn't the place for you. It's an amazing opportunity but not for everyone.

Reaction Score
West Point isn't just a school, it's the US army. If you don't want to join the army then it isn't the place for you. It's an amazing opportunity but not for everyone.

Exactly. Kid probably doesn't want to join the army.

PWS

Reaction Score
From Des's article last night on recruiting taller players (http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) :

Highsmith To Stay

Middletown's Dario Highsmith, who announced he would attend UConn as a preferred walk-on Monday, then received a full scholarship offer from Army Monday night, has decided to honor his commitment to the Huskies, his father told the Courant Tuesday night. ... Diaco will have a 4 p.m. press conference Wednesday.

All I can say is WOW! This young man was offered a full scholarship from Army and elected to to be a preferred walk-on at UConn? Yes, I think Uconn SHOULD beat Army in football every time they play. I also think that anyone accepted at Army clearly has their act together. I'm not saying we should go try to steal Army's recruits, but the fact that Dario Highsmith is turning down an Army scholarship to walk-on at UConn says a lot about the future of Uconn and it's perception in the eyes of recruits. I wish Dario the best as a Husky! Go Dogs!

Actually, there is no such thing as a full scholarship to Army. Everyone goes for free with a small (very small) stipend. as other posters have said, it takes a special person to go and commit to the 5 years of service, but it is a grind and not for everyone. I am happy he is staying with us. I think he will be one of those guys that will figure out a way to make an impact

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually, there is no such thing as a full scholarship to Army. Everyone goes for free with a small (very small) stipend. as other posters have said, it takes a special person to go and commit to the 5 years of service, but it is a grind and not for everyone. I am happy he is staying with us. I think he will be one of those guys that will figure out a way to make an impact

If Dario was so good to be drafted he could obtain a special waiver from the USMA.

...The Department of Defense has recently adopted a policy where a small number of Service Academy Graduates (not just West Point) to be released early from their active duty obligation to play professional sports. They do have to pay back the cost of their education (several hundred thousand $$) and serve in the Army Reserves in a recruiting role, but today there is a viable option for elite level athletes.

That said, if he is not granted a waiver, he has to serve and who's to know if he gets a desirable assignment? I gotta tell ya, if any other P5 school (including BYU) had offered him, I'd be a little more nervous in him flipping. However, as had been said, it takes a certain type of person to go into the Service Academies. I am certainly not saying that Dario isn't that type of person. Just that more goes into the decision than just where you are going to play ball for the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom