A RARITY AT UCONN! | The Boneyard

A RARITY AT UCONN!

Reaction Score
I apologize in advance if this topic was previously posted, but I was thinking about how rare it has been in the last 20 years for a player, who remained at UCONN for four years (meaning no transfers (in or out) or players who either quit or left early), to fail to win a Natty! Based on my recollection, in the last 20 years, only the class of 2008 (the four "down" years following DT going to the WNBA) and this year's class failed to win at least one national championship during their four years. While this year's season will have an asterisk next to it, there was no Natty won. Below is my analysis based on class year:

'00 (natty), '01 (no natty, but won in '00, '02 (natty), '03 (natty), '04 (natty), '05 (no natty but won the previous three seasons), '06 (no natty but won in '03 and '04), '07 (no natty but won in '04), '08 (no natty), '09 (natty), '10 (natty), '11 (no natty but won previous two years), '12 (no natty but won in '09 and '10), '13 (natty), '14 (natty), '15 (natty), '16 (natty), '17 (no natty but won previous three seasons), '18 (no natty but won in '15 and '16), '19 (no natty but won in '16), '20 (no natty* (season ended prematurely due to pandemic). Even the great Pat Summitt did not have close to such greatness and consistency when she won her 8 championships. To say UCONN fans are a spoiled bunch is an understatement. While we have nothing else to do but wait for life to get restarted, let's soak in the embarrassment of riches we have in our UCONN WBB!

Reaction Score
Because of the changing dynamics of WCBB it has become more difficult to win a Nattie. The competition at the top has become more competitive with respect to both player parity and better coaches in women's basketball. It has become more like the men's game where the number of teams that are legit threats increases every year. In my opinion, it was more difficult for Geno to go on his Nattie run than it was for those that preceded him. It has become even more difficult now so it is unrealistic to expect any team to make such a run ever again. Even super dominant teams are less likely to repeat because of the number of good programs increases the odds of them being upset on any given night. All fans would do well to re-adjust to more realistic expectations.

Reaction Score
This is an aspect of UConn WBB that's always intrigued me as well. If the original survey is extended by one year - to include the class of 1999 - we see another instance like 2008. Courtney Gaine and Amy Duran arrived in Storrs in the fall of '95 and graduated 4 years later without a championship.

So if we go back 25 years, all the way to the first crown, there have been only eight four-year players (Gaine, Duran, Thomas, Swanier, Houston, Dangerfield, Irwin and Bent) who've left without enjoying a National Championship. That's an astonishing track record.

A side note: The classes of '99 and '08 each participated in only one Final Four (in '96 and '08). The present group made it to three, that is, every one they were able to make. Which supports the contention that yes, we are perhaps a tiny bit spoiled.

I can live with that.

Reaction Score
I've thought about this topic as well and have come to the conclusion that we need to use an asterisk for this season. This class hasn't won a national title for 3 years in a row but was prevented from contending for one this year. What's the likelihood they would have won? Probably somewhere in between slim and none but one only has to think back to Breanna Stewarts freshman season when Baylor, with Brittany Griner, was the prohibitive favorite until they ran into a Louisville, a 5 seed, that couldn't miss from the 3 point line. UConn went on to bury Louisville in the finals and win an unexpected title. Unless the games are actually played there is always the chance for an upset that would scramble the brackets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom