A quick Q about SMU... | The Boneyard

A quick Q about SMU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I kinda get why no one is ranking them this preseason - it is what it is.

But are the same pundits and coaches that are ignoring SMU for their off-the-court stuff also going to give the rest of the American the benefit of the doubt when their SOS's and RPI's are impacted? UConn, Tulsa, Cincy etc. will be facing competition from essentially a top-20 team, but will potentially receive little ratings benefits.

I'm surprised to not have seen much, if any, questions raised about this. what gives?...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
epark88 said:
I kinda get why no one is ranking them this preseason - it is what it is. But are the same pundits and coaches that are ignoring SMU for their off-the-court stuff also going to give the rest of the American the benefit of the doubt when their SOS's and RPI's are impacted? UConn, Tulsa, Cincy etc. will be facing competition from essentially a top-20 team, but will potentially receive little ratings benefits. I'm surprised to not have seen much, if any, questions raised about this. what gives?...

Rpi is the rpi . If smu plays well in reg season we all get a bump, if they don't we don't.

Reaction Score
It's true that we'll get no credit for playing what is essentially a top 25 team when people list our record against top 25 teams, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Reaction Score
RPI is a computer system that has nothing to do with the polls, so I do not get your concern.

Reaction Score
SMU is officially banned from the AAC Tournament as well correct? We couldnt play in the Big East Tournament in 2013 so there should be no difference here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ts5034 said:
SMU is officially banned from the AAC Tournament as well correct? We couldnt play in the Big East Tournament in 2013 so there should be no difference here.

Different conference. Hasn't been determined yet.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
If it hasn't been confirmed yet, it's only a matter of time before it is. Also I do believe if they deserve to be ranked at some point they will and like others have mentioned the ban has no effect on rpi. The two games vs SMU should still be big rpi boosting games by seasons end.

Reaction Score
We won't have any problem with our SOS this year. We have all the opportunities we could ever want to have the best RPI possible. See (Maryland, SMU x2, Cincy x2, Michigan, Texas, Georgetown, possible Syracuse, and Texas A&M/Gonzaga) All top 50/60 teams.

Reaction Score
If it hasn't been confirmed yet, it's only a matter of time before it is. Also I do believe if they deserve to be ranked at some point they will and like others have mentioned the ban has no effect on rpi. The two games vs SMU should still be big rpi boosting games by seasons end.
The AAC tourney bracket has already been released and only has 10 slots: http://theamerican.org/documents/2015/9/28//2016_championship_bracket.pdf?id=789

Think that might be a good indication that SMU won't be playing in it this year.

Reaction Score
No way the AAC allows SMU to participate in the basketball conference championship because if they won, it would be like throwing an automatic NCAA bid out the window. Can’t take the risk, especially in light of how the NCAA selection committee has treated the AAC over the last 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
One of the big reasons that the remaining 3 from the BE had power over the new conference members regarding exit fees and NCAA credits is that the old bylaws stipulated that in the event of a drop in the TV package, the exit fees would be revised downward below the annual take. When I read about the new exit fee structure a few years ago, I saw that the exit fee was revised but it is much higher than the $2m a year TV package.

In other words, the old BE bylaws were still in place, while new bylaws were written in a spirit of compromise. But the old members certainly had every right to note that the old bylaws could be enforced to determine payouts for past actions.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
No way the AAC allows SMU to participate in the basketball conference championship because if they won, it would be like throwing an automatic NCAA bid out the window.

This would only be the case if the conference tourney is won by a team that wouldn't have earned an at-large bid. But given the short history of how this conference has been treated by the selection committee, this is probably a stronger possibility than would exist in a P5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom