A question about Westbrook | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A question about Westbrook

Reaction Score
Do you think attorneys who represent players in waiver petitions have access to previous decisions and the supporting information?
No. The medical records are considered private and not subject to FOI requests. But any internal documents that speak to the policy & procedures in reviewing requests and a list of those conditions that need to be met for a waiver to be granted are subject to FOI. I strongly doubt that the NCAA's policies leave these decisions completely up to the committee without any guidance. There has to be a paper trail even if just internal memos. Emails can't be shredded.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do you think attorneys who represent players in waiver petitions have access to previous decisions and the supporting information?
No. The medical records are considered private and not subject to FOI requests. But any internal documents that speak to the policy & procedures in reviewing requests and a list of those conditions that need to be met for a waiver to be granted are subject to FOI. I strongly doubt that the NCAA's policies leave these decisions completely up to the committee without any guidance. There has to be a paper trail even if just internal memos. Emails can't be shredded.

The NCAA is not subject to either federal or state FOI laws.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA allows 77 percent of all waivers, what do you think the chances of them approving a player transferring from Tennessee to UCONN is? I'd say about 10 percent.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
waiver_stack.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be to Westbrook's advantage to sit out this season. She reportedly is not completely healthy and may not play to the level needed by UConn this season. Plus there is the danger of her not completely healing before the end of the season. I just wonder if it is worth taking the chance. If she can't go as hard as needed, she probably won't get as much playing time as she would like. I want her waiver to be approved but, if it is not, that may not be as bad a thing as some think.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be to Westbrook's advantage to sit out this season. She reportedly is not completely healthy and may not play to the level needed by UConn this season. Plus there is the danger of her not completely healing before the end of the season. I just wonder if it is worth taking the chance. If she can't go as hard as needed, she probably won't get as much playing time as she would like. I want her waiver to be approved but, if it is not, that may not be as bad a thing as some think.

Westbrook's knee surgery was not that invasive and she is on track in her recovery. I don't see Westbrook staying at UConn for 3 years, if her waiver is denied she will sit out this year and leave after next year. If her waiver is approved she will play the next 2 years and then leave, I can not envision her staying in college past her original graduation date.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Westbrook's knee surgery was not that invasive and she is on track in her recovery. I don't see Westbrook staying at UConn for 3 years, if her waiver is denied she will sit out this year and leave after next year. If her waiver is approved she will play the next 2 years and then leave, I can not envision her staying in college past her original graduation date.
I've been reluctant to say it publicly, but I agree that I don't see Evina staying in Storrs for 3 years. I think she will be draft eligible based on age next year. Thus, if she sits out, she could play 0 years, 1 year, or 2 years at UConn. Given how close she is with Megan, I would expect Evina to leave when Meg leaves. For both Evina's benefit and UConn's benefit, I think its important that she get a waiver. Her recent statement about wanting to be a top-3 draft pick is my only basis for hoping that she will play 2 years if she has to sit out this year. Given the talent and size of the 2020 class, we need Evina more this year than any of the following 2 years. Fingers crossed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've been reluctant to say it publicly, but I agree that I don't see Evina staying in Storrs for 3 years. I think she will be draft eligible based on age next year. Thus, if she sits out, she could play 0 years, 1 year, or 2 years at UConn. Given how close she is with Megan, I would expect Evina to leave when Meg leaves. For both Evina's benefit and UConn's benefit, I think its important that she get a waiver. Her recent statement about wanting to be a top-3 draft pick is my only basis for hoping that she will play 2 years if she has to sit out this year. Given the talent and size of the 2020 class, we need Evina more this year than any of the following 2 years. Fingers crossed.
What recent statement? This would concern me greatly because her WNBA draft position should not be at the forefront of her mind right now. Getting healthy, contributing at UCONN (perhaps becoming a starter) and becoming a "leader" should be her priorities. She will be a UCONN upperclassman when she is eligible to play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

For me, she would need 2 years in the UConn system to master it at a level where she would be an AA / Top WNBA pick. If she does not get a waiver and the process is pushed back, her second year would perhaps cut in and muddy the waters in getting Azzi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What recent statement? This would concern me greatly because her WNBA draft position should not be at the forefront of her mind right now. Getting healthy, contributing at UCONN (perhaps becoming a starter) and becoming a "leader" should be her priorities. She will be a UCONN upperclassman when she is eligible to play.

Evina talks about winning before she mentions her draft goal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For me, she would need 2 years in the UConn system to master it at a level where she would be an AA / Top WNBA pick. If she does not get a waiver and the process is pushed back, her second year would perhaps cut in and muddy the waters in getting Azzi.
Agreed. Azura left after playing 1 year. I think most Boneyarders think a 2nd year of playing at UConn would have helped her substantially.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. Azura left after playing 1 year. I think most Boneyarders think a 2nd year of playing at UConn would have helped her substantially.

and perhaps even more so in the guard position. By Geno's own admission, both he and Evina may not have the clearest vision of what she is best at (SG/PG some hybrid??). It will take time.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think Evina is icing on the cake. If she is eligible this year, she makes a good team even better. If she does not get her waiver, she provides even more depth to an already great team next year.

I think Geno can be patient with her knee. I also think he learned from the Azura situation and will be prepared for whatever decision she makes.

Reaction Score
How do you figure that the NCAA is "arbitrarily" holding up her career? She is receiving an athletic scholarship, and fully participating in practices which is all that the team is allowed to do right now.
The NCAA is arbitrarily holding up her basketball career by delaying their decision. There should be specific timelines to rule on appeals.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is arbitrarily holding up her basketball career by delaying their decision. There should be specific timelines to rule on appeals.

Neither you not me nor anyone else on this board has any idea if any of the delay is arbitrary. Initially they take them in order, and we have no idea where she was in the queue. And then there is almost always extra information that is needed, and none of us have any idea how much more info UConn had to submit and how long it took them to do so.

Reaction Score
I think Evina is icing on the cake. If she is eligible this year, she makes a good team even better. If she does not get her waiver, she provides even more depth to an already great team next year.

I think Geno can be patient with her knee. I also think he learned from the Azura situation and will be prepared for whatever decision she makes.

She is a lot more than that!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are specific timelines for ruling on appeals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom