A question about Kentucky | The Boneyard

A question about Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand they have had a plethora of high NBA draft picks but if youre a player there now--how exactly do you fully showcase your game by playing 18 minutes? The Harrisons--would they be higher slotted prospects if they were lead PGs playing 35 minutes elsewhere? Protheys(sp) Marcus Lee? Trey Lyles? Its pretty ingenious by Calipari--as some of these guys who might ve made a first round selection get held back and come back to school to raise their stock. that leaves a number of experienced players to go with new blue chippers.
But the players themselves--why not go another route and be the man?

Reaction Score
There are plenty of reasons to go to Kentucky. What new insight is going to come out in another tired Kentucky thread? And no one on that team has to worry about not being seen by scouts. C'mon.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I understand they have had a plethora of high NBA draft picks but if youre a player there now--how exactly do you fully showcase your game by playing 18 minutes? The Harrisons--would they be higher slotted prospects if they were lead PGs playing 35 minutes elsewhere? Protheys(sp) Marcus Lee? Trey Lyles? Its pretty ingenious by Calipari--as some of these guys who might ve made a first round selection get held back and come back to school to raise their stock. that leaves a number of experienced players to go with new blue chippers.
I think you've mi$under$tood their primary motivation$

Reaction Score
Media is covering them like crazy. TV is bananas over them. Hell even the reigning Champion's message board is obsessed with them. Its obvious, uk is the place to be right now.

Anyway Cal's message is clear; if you can make it on the court at uk, then you are essentially 'NBA certified'. That's a strong sell to any talented HS All American kid who thinks he's better than all the rest. You've got to be confident and cocky and ready to risk your future or eventually transfer and be held back a year.

Reaction Score
The fact ESPN found time to have him sit and interview - not just interview mind you, but SIT with them, is really disgusting by that station. And he had the woe is me crap going on and the usual whining - it's actually pitiful. All this after 11 mcD AA's ripped Columbia by 10 after scoring 56? Wow impressive:rolleyes:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The fact ESPN found time to have him sit and interview - not just interview mind you, but SIT with them, is really disgusting by that station. And he had the woe is me crap going on and the usual whining - it's actually pitiful. All this after 11 mcD AA's ripped Columbia by 10 after scoring 56? Wow impressive:rolleyes:

it's their traditional annual love vest

before you know, K is going to start complaining about all the free publicity squid is getting :D

attention whores don't like competition

Reaction Score
Less time on court also means less exposure, which might be a plus in their eyes.

I really like how the Harrison brothers shoot the ball but IMO they are totally exposed in other facets of their games. They are big enough to play off guard and should probably have played that position from the start, because PGs they ain't. They may need 3 or 4 years at Kentucky to shine.

Also consider James Young. He was a 20 minute guy last year. Does not really stand out beyond showing range and great athleticism in those minutes, but clearly his basketball IQ and his defense was poor. He needed more years at Kentucky. But Boston took him based on potential. He was like that Green pick from a while back. He needs time bin the NBDL.

Reaction Score
Calipari has convinced the media to promote the points per minute stat which they're showing ad nauseum during their games. Along with the platoon system he has found a way to market 10 NBA recruits. The 11th guy gets screwed. Well, maybe now he has a shot being that Poythress went down. All that and basically the hype of the novelty and being a Kentucky recruit. It's all very sickening.

Reaction Score
Also consider James Young. He was a 20 minute guy last year. Does not really stand out beyond showing range and great athleticism in those minutes, but clearly his basketball IQ and his defense was poor. He needed more years at Kentucky. But Boston took him based on potential. He was like that Green pick from a while back. He needs time bin the NBDL.

James Young played 32 minutes per game at Kentucky. The platoon wasn't a thing before this year.

Reaction Score
James Young played 32 minutes per game at Kentucky. The platoon wasn't a thing before this year.

Ack, didn't think he played that much. I know the platoon is in its first year, he just never made a huge impression there.

Reaction Score

This post is gold, solid goal. And it needs to become the mantra of all UConn's efforts at recruiting. They ought to use the Kentucky hoops program and the logjam of talent not getting the exposure they felt they deserved when they signed. Go to UConn and get on the field right away - if you are as good as advertised. Why wait? This is the vision that UConn needs to be selling.

Reaction Score
Ack, didn't think he played that much. I know the platoon is in its first year, he just never made a huge impression there.

You are aware that this data is freely available, right?

Reaction Score
This post is gold, solid goal. And it needs to become the mantra of all UConn's efforts at recruiting. They ought to use the Kentucky hoops program and the logjam of talent not getting the exposure they felt they deserved when they signed. Go to UConn and get on the field right away - if you are as good as advertised. Why wait? This is the vision that UConn needs to be selling.

Yeah, definitely try out that line: "You won't get enough exposure at Kentucky" - let me know how it goes.

People seem to be inserting a lot of what they hope is going on at Kentucky into this narrative and it's way beyond the point of sounding like sour grapes.

Reaction Score
People like downing Kentucky. Maybe too much.

But saying a UConn fan has sour grapes against Kentucky is impossible to believe.

Reaction Score
People like downing Kentucky. Maybe too much.

But saying a UConn fan has sour grapes against Kentucky is impossible to believe.

It's only impossible to believe if you don't read any of the Kentucky/Calipari posts on this board.

Reaction Score
It's only impossible to believe if you don't read any of the Kentucky/Calipari posts on this board.

I hate Kentucky as much as the next guy. I'd kick them too.

But what sour grapes? Sour grapes = excuses.

Excuses for what? Losing to Calipari?

Reaction Score

The board's collective obsession with Kentucky is out of control. It is not - as far as I can tell - mutual. No matter how many "well, we beat them in '11 and '14s" qualifiers someone attaches to a post, it's pretty clear that the green eyed monster is rampant around here when it comes to UK. People want UConn to get the attention that Kentucky gets, and they're bitter that they don't. It's that simple.

Reaction Score

"Sour grapes" doesn't mean excuses. Calling players we want mentally weak or whatever for wanting to play for Calipari, however, is basically the dictionary definition of sour grapes. Saying that his system doesn't work or doesn't get players noticed or whatever it's just ludicrous nonsense.

Reaction Score
"Sour grapes" doesn't mean excuses. Calling players we want mentally weak or whatever for wanting to play for Calipari, however, is basically the dictionary definition of sour grapes. Saying that his system doesn't work or doesn't get players noticed or whatever it's just ludicrous nonsense.

We have irrational hatred for Kentucky. I get it.

But, I'm assuming here that people come to this board to add to the fun of their team winning an NCAA national championship, not to brag about how many pros we're producing under the current coach.

If it's the former, then no, we don't have sour grapes. We don't want what Kentucky has (sour grapes = envy, jealousy, you can't have what they have). But if our goal is the latter, producing pros, then yeah, it can be called sour grapes.

Reaction Score
We have irrational hatred for Kentucky. I get it.

But, I'm assuming here that people come to this board to add to the fun of their team winning an NCAA national championship, not to brag about how many pros we're producing under the current coach.

If it's the former, then no, we don't have sour grapes. We don't want what Kentucky has (sour grapes = envy, jealousy, you can't have what they have). But if our goal is the latter, producing pros, then yeah, it can be called sour grapes.

You're tying yourself up in knots trying to make some semblance of a point. Many UConn fans are insecure about UConn's place in the world and one of the ways that manifests are the almost daily threads running down Kentucky. If you create a bunch of justifications as to why you don't approve of something it makes it easier to deal with your bitterness and resentment that you can't have that thing that you pretend not to approve of.

"I'm glad we're not Kentucky because I want kids who want to win and not just go to the NBA," as if you have any basis for saying a kid at Kentucky doesn't want to win just as much as the guys on the hometown team. But it makes it easier to deal with the fact that they're reeling in 5 star after 5 star to say that they're not the kind of kid you want at UConn. It's totally horsesh_t, and everyone knows it, but you do what you have to do.

Reaction Score
You're tying yourself up in knots trying to make some semblance of a point. Many UConn fans are insecure about UConn's place in the world and one of the ways that manifests are the almost daily threads running down Kentucky. If you create a bunch of justifications as to why you don't approve of something it makes it easier to deal with your bitterness and resentment that you can't have that thing that you pretend not to approve of.

"I'm glad we're not Kentucky because I want kids who want to win and not just go to the NBA," as if you have any basis for saying a kid at Kentucky doesn't want to win just as much as the guys on the hometown team. But it makes it easier to deal with the fact that they're reeling in 5 star after 5 star to say that they're not the kind of kid you want at UConn. It's totally horsesh_t, and everyone knows it, but you do what you have to do.

People hate Kentucky all across America. Most are fans of teams in stable conferences. UConn fans have less reason to hate them than most.

That being said, I am not at all bothered by irrational hatred of Kentucky.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that if UCONN had 10/11 McD AAs and rolled out a platoon system, half of the people here would be going crazy with glee. It's only hated because we don't have that.

Reaction Score
Most of us follow college basketball as a 12 month sport. We win often in March but Kentucky seems to win the other 8-11 months and there is a huge amount of jealousy on our side.

Having been in the South for a few months, I have run into a handful of UK basketball fans while wearing my UCONN hat. They are not as fanatical in regards to their hate, but it is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom