Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Yahoo Sports (The Dagger).

A post-draft deadline look at the 2016-17 season's top 20 teams

UConn 18th in this one.

18. Connecticut
Key losses:
G Sterling Gibbs, F Shonn Miller, F Phillip Nolan, G Omar Calhoun, G Daniel Hamilton
Key returners:
G Jalen Adams, G Rodney Purvis, C Amida Brimah, F Kentan Facey, F Steven Enoch
Notable newcomers: G Terry Larrier, F Juwan Durham, F Vance Jackson, G Alterique Gilbert, F Mamadou Diarra, Christian Vital
Outlook: Four of the seven Huskies who played at least nine minutes in their NCAA tournament finale are gone, yet UConn has a chance to be better than it was last season. The return of Brimah, Purvis and Adams and the arrival of a promising freshman class should help offset the departure of Hamilton to the NBA draft. UConn's strength defensively should be its frontcourt, which is highlighted by the shot-blocking Brimah, veteran Facey and Larrier, a highly touted VCU transfer who sat out all of last season. In the backcourt, Adams and Purvis will be pushed by freshmen Gilbert and Vital. Last season, UConn had to win the American Athletic Conference tournament to assure itself an NCAA bid. The Huskies have enough talent and experience not to cut it so close in 2017.

Reaction Score
Wow. Actually a team preview that I think is actually right on the freaking nose.

Like I said i'm not sure we're an elite team QUITE YET - but this kind of has the makings of a team that might make us pull out hair out a bit early on but grow into a pretty darn dangerous team come tournament time once rolls get fleshed out. I think the parts for a run are there - but there's a lot that's gotta happen for it to all come together.

2017-2018 on the other hand.... title or bust.

caw

Reaction Score
Agree with all of that except the second to last line. UConn was solidly in before winning the AACT.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Agree with all of that except the second to last line. UConn was solidly in before winning the AACT.
Wow how quickly people seem to forget the not so distant past. UConn would have most likely missed the tournament had Jalen missed his 3/4 court buzzer beater. It literally took a MIRACLE for UConn to make the tournament and you forgot?!

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Wow how quickly people seem to forget the not so distant past. UConn would have most likely missed the tournament had Jalen missed his 3/4 court buzzer beater. It literally took a MIRACLE for UConn to make the tournament and you forgot?!
Whether you want to believe it or not we were solidly in unless you think we jumped at least 3 seed lines and into the tourney by winning the AAC tourney. We might've been a 10 or 11 but we were in. F$&@:n Tulsa got in after getting pounded in the tourney by Memphis ( their own players thought they had no shot) , Temple was in safely with a bubble resume some weren't sure about. That shot was amazing and gave us all comfort on Selection Sunday but we were in prior based on the bracket released, so no no one has that quickly forgot.

caw

Reaction Score

Tulsa made the NCAAT. UConn had better (or at worse similar) metrics before the AACT. Also, his shot was in the first round, which was not winning the AACT. You can make the argument (probably flawed) that his shot solidifies UConn in the NCAAT but the two games after that were just seeding.

Reaction Score
Wow. Actually a team preview that I think is actually right on the freaking nose.

Like I said i'm not sure we're an elite team QUITE YET - but this kind of has the makings of a team that might make us pull out hair out a bit early on but grow into a pretty darn dangerous team come tournament time once rolls get fleshed out. I think the parts for a run are there - but there's a lot that's gotta happen for it to all come together.

2017-2018 on the other hand.... title or bust.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm excited for the season as much as anyone here, but the past 2 offseasons we have thought we had elite level talent, and the ability to do some heavy damage. I do think this year is different with the abundance of penetrating guards that we have severely lacked, but let's wait a little.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It should be fun to see how this team comes together. A rank of 18 seems to high to me at this point, but it is all total speculation at this point. We knew that last year's team had a long way to go to "come together" and it is hard to see that being any better coming into this year. A lot clearly rests on whether Jalen can play with more consistency and show positive leadership, especially when times are tough. It looks like we are two years away from possibly being really good unless we have players make some big leaps in the quality of their games (starting with Jalen). Can the light bulb go off for Amida, Kentan, or Steve? Will Rodney become a solid ball handler and decision maker? Can Alterique come in and not play like a freshman as he said? Our rebounding looks to be a big weakness with no obvious answer.

On the bright side of the road, having two point guards could really improve the ball movement, the ability to break down the defense off the dribble, and the perimeter defense. Enoch could give a big lift if he can become more instinctive in making defensive rotations as well as using his body to become a beast on the boards. Rodney should be better with consistency and hopefully even a better defender. The Huskies could become a lot better if Amida can cut down on fouls and stay in the games much more consistently. Can some of the freshman (in addition to Alterique) make some net positive contributions? Should be fun to see them grow together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom