A Possible Explanation | The Boneyard

A Possible Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all know the syndrome -- UConn falls far behind in the early going, then rallies to within striking distance with plenty of time left, then turns around and loses anyway. Speaking not just of the OSU and Oregon games but of a number of early-season games last year.

Some focus on the slow starts and attribute it to unpreparedness. Some focus on the comebacks and see in it a fighting spirit. In fact, the syndrome may have little to do with either.

Imagine, for a moment, that the situation were the opposite -- that UConn was pulling away from opponents early, letting them catch up, then turning on the juices again to win. We'd be complaining that the team could not put away its opponents, tended to relax on the lead, get careless, lacked a killer instinct. And we'd be blaming the coaches, of course.

What we are seeing in UConn's games may be simply that -- superior teams pulling away from an inferior opponent, then relaxing on the lead, than reasserting themselves when the lead is challenged. This is the sort of thing UConn has done to inferior teams for decades.

Alas, now it's being done to us -- no more complicated than that. Perhaps we are not a good team getting off to slow starts; perhaps we are a poor team. Maybe we aren't a team with a fighting heart; maybe we're a team that can score some points when the other team relaxes and plays down to our level.

It's all been said here this week. This is a team with one prime-time player, otherwise constrained by limited or undeveloped talent and by coaching that is without ingenuity and struggles to teach fundamentals. I doubt the injuries have cost us yet. They will cost us in a full year's lost development for three key players, the impact to be felt next year when our key players, incredibly, will be no more experienced than this year (assuming, as I do, that Adams goes.)

At age 78, I don't write off two seasons with some sort of masochistic pleasure. I just believe in discounting the worst and daring any surprise to be negative.

Reaction Score
We fall behind inferior teams like Wagner and Northeastern. There goes your theory.

Reaction Score
One thing to remember and that is when our opponents get off to a big lead from aggressive play and our turnovers they would naturally take their foot off the gas and go into protection of lead mode allowing us to come back on them and gain ground. You are right about fundamentals such as catching and dribbling without turnovers and we don't have a good hands team especially down low. We tried to get the ball inside to both Brimah and Facey both entry and inside passing and what happens? It's like their hands are made of teflon. They touch the ball but don't catch it, same on rebounds. I've been watching all kinds of Div 1 teams this weekend and have yet to see a group as weak as we are inside rebounding and offense. If we had multiple all world guards then maybe we would have a chance but that is not the case.
Our guards play one on one because they can't throw it inside. In fact usually a ball thrown inside is a turnover. Not defending the 3 is defensive positioning and effort. Not there and no excuse can be made. We have been torched. Watching some of the AAC teams, Houston we have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom