A number of FBS coaches are getting closer and closer to adopting the never punt philosophy | The Boneyard

A number of FBS coaches are getting closer and closer to adopting the never punt philosophy

Reaction Score

The most talented teams in the country can afford to be conservative. Everybody else needs to figure out how to execute at a higher level and be good at other things to give themselves greater opportunities. We were good at not returning punts.

Reaction Score
020.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not big on never punting philosophy but I don't think you should ever punt inside of the other teams 50.

It drove me crazy whenever the offense would be looking okay and Diaco would punt from like the 38 on 4th and 3. Inevitably they'd give up a score and the offense wouldn't get that far the rest of the half. It's almost like the team knew he didn't believe in them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not big on never punting philosophy but I don't think you should ever punt inside of the other teams 50.

I won't say never, but it should be very rare.

Reaction Score
So Diaco was ahead of his time, recognizing that the punt was becoming obsolete he decided to abandon returning punts. Who knew?

Reaction Score
The Houston game last year. Tie score we're marching and Diaco punts on 4&4 from the 38 yard line. Touchback. Net 18 yard punt. To the surprise of nobody the game is lopsided from that point on. It's not only gutless it's friggin stupid.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't believe in "never punt", but I'm a much bigger fan of not punting a lot and much less so in the opponent's half. If you're 4th and 18 on the opponent's 38 yard line (55 yard field goal attempt), you either go for the field goal or go for the first down. A pooch punt is successful less often in the college game, so chances are that your punt goes into the endzone bringing them back almost to where you are anyways. If you're successful scoring points even 1/3 of the time, the math is probably in your favor. And if you run a play that gets you a big chunk of yardage but comes up short, it was almost as good as a pooch punt in the first place...

Reaction Score
I am interested in knowing where UCONN ranks in the "Never Return" philosophy.

Reaction Score
I don't believe in "never punt", but I'm a much bigger fan of not punting a lot and much less so in the opponent's half. If you're 4th and 18 on the opponent's 38 yard line (55 yard field goal attempt), you either go for the field goal or go for the first down. A pooch punt is successful less often in the college game, so chances are that your punt goes into the endzone bringing them back almost to where you are anyways. If you're successful scoring points even 1/3 of the time, the math is probably in your favor. And if you run a play that gets you a big chunk of yardage but comes up short, it was almost as good as a pooch punt in the first place...

How about 4 & 18 from your opponents 19 yard line in the 2nd quarter of a 7-0 game? What do you do then?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How about 4 & 18 from your opponents 19 yard line in the 2nd quarter of a 7-0 game? What do you do then?

Kick #$king field goal, Diaco you dumb-as-a-rock bastard!!! :mad:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It all depends on how good your punter is. If he's averaging 45 yards and can pin it inside the other team's 5 yard line, he's a dangerous weapon. But if he's averaging 33 yards and keeps kicking touchbacks, his value is marginal.

To say "never" punt is idiotic. If you have 4th and 15 on your own 5, are you going for it? Of course not.

My son is a college punter, so perhaps I'm slightly biased.

C

chiller99.5

FWIW In eastern NC this is a popular philosophy in a local conference with a lot of division 1 talent I have coached in. There are just so many variables that can go bad in punting in crucial spots especially. Another wrinkle is the high pop up kickoff that basically has a lineman the recipient of a mile high kick or also placing the ball away from the deep returner and forcing someone to handle the ball with less experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom