A MUST win for sure tonight but... | The Boneyard

A MUST win for sure tonight but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
to win by 7 with all those 3's dropping through is both concerning and puzzling Am I happy UConn won? Hell yeah but this game had impressive win written all over it but those nightly scoring droughts, perimeter D softness, missed free throws - all have been a recurring nightmare. Oh well, onto USF.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we are capable and/or equipped to blow teams out this season. We have to take wins as we can, most often grinding them out and in some cases surviving.

Reaction Score
They make runs that are impressive and then just like that, they make awful play after awful play. Bad passes, dribbling off legs, horrible shots - they are frustrating as hell. But hey they needed win and got it. Bad news is Ryan had a another bad game as the leader, he needs to turn it around.

Reaction Score
They make runs that are impressive and then just like that, they make awful play after awful play. Bad passes, dribbling off legs, horrible shots - they are frustrating as hell. But hey they needed win and got it. Bad news is Ryan had a another bad game as the leader, he needs to turn it around.
Are you bring sarcastic? He led by example and high scoring game with 7 assists. He led us with a great effort.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We have some pieces, but overall we're not a great team right now, will we ever be this season? I'm not sure, we need purvis to be a player, Brimah needs to get stronger/tougher, very happy with Calhoun as of late. If the pieces come to together we can surprise some people in the tourney, are we tourney-bound, I'm not so sure. We just got to keep plugging away and hope the light bulb turns on at the right time.

Reaction Score
Boatright is really really hurting. You can see he doesn't have the burst he usually does.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score

I usually agree with you Mau, as I do with most of this post, but imo Boat had a good game, it's his pieces around them that kept the score so close, not Boat.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Are you bring sarcastic? He led by example and high scoring game with 7 assists. He led us with a great effort.
Pop goes the weasel, cause the weasel goes pop!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
At this point of the season, the inconsistently of most of the players is fatal.
Ollie has Boat, Calhoun.
And then he turns into Forest Gump and the box of chocolates. Ollie never knows what he is going to get from any of the others guys until they take a bite out of his heart. With missed bunnies and free throws., turnovers and bad fouls, and no rebounds.

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you Mau, as I do with most of this post, but imo Boat had a good game, it's his pieces around them that kept the score so close, not Boat.

No he didn't, not from my point of view. He tried to do too much at key times especially, some worked out to be TO's others he was bailed out. He made some shots sure, but he's not playing well, sorry. Even his body language and leadership isn't the same as early in the year.

But I was having some dinner and beers out with the boss so I may have missed some good plays too. But I did;t miss the ones he shouldn't be making as the Sr leader. Just one man's opinion.

Reaction Score
What?!?

Like I said I wasn't able to concentrate on the game so I may be a bit off, but not by a lot.

Daniel Hamilton was the best player on the floor for us with 10-9-7 and most importantly 0 as in TO's. He's starting to get it!

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
No he didn't, not from my point of view. He tried to do too much at key times especially, some worked out to be TO's others he was bailed out. He made some shots sure, but he's not playing well, sorry. Even his body language and leadership isn't the same as early in the year. But I was having some dinner and beers out with the boss so I may have missed some good plays too. But I did;t miss the ones he shouldn't be making as the Sr leader. Just one man's opinion.

He had two turnovers, the second of which was the first possession of the second half when he dribbled off his foot into a backcourt violation (the other was the pocket picking in the first in transition), As a team, we had four turnovers in the second half, none in the last 12 minutes.

If he did anything wrong in key moments, it was just simply missing a couple shots - missed a bunny midway through the second half, didn't make a dagger 3 in corner, had a drive blocked after killing 35 seconds when he was probably fouled (he complained, but that isn't proof) - but that was when we were up 10 with a minute to go, so that wasn't a key moment unless you had money down and were watching the spread.

If there's a quibble, there were times he absorbed double teams getting a high screen and the ball stuck with him for a little while until he passed out of them, where maybe he could have kept it moving a little sooner. But he kept his composure and never turned it over on those (and sometimes we were able to attack the broken down defense after he got rid of it).

I didn't see a guy doing too much getting bailed out, but maybe I'm glossing over a play or two.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Like I said I wasn't able to concentrate on the game so I may be a bit off, but not by a lot. Daniel Hamilton was the best player on the floor for us with 10-9-7 and most importantly 0 as in TO's. He's starting to get it!

He was locked in on the defensive glass and he shot with confidence. Some of the assists to Brimah were largely due to McBride's total immobility and might not translate against normal athletes, but he still had to deliver the ball on the move where Brimah could catch it. The back cut to Purvis won't make highlight reels, but that was a pretty pass.

He's still a bit more tentative than I'd like, but the pendulum did need to swing to cautious for a little while after some bad games. Hopefully he'll gradually build up his aggression again, now that he has learned a little more about what he can get away with.

Reaction Score
I thought Boat played really good offensively except for a few bad decisions. The most frustrating part of Boat tonight (and others as well) was unnecessarily gambling for steals and getting beat defensively when their was just no need for it

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This game was a glorified scrimmage that Ollie used to get guys minutes. Omar was 3-4 with 2 3's and a baseline tomahawk slam in 4 min before going to the bench for the next 8. Boat sat for 3 min after playing 5. Brimah could have gone for 40 on lobs every time mcbride was in the game. Kentan hit a 3. This was line up mixing and trial and error, you can't look at the box and say we underperformed. Some guys are making better use of their minutes than others though. Rodney is hemoraging minutes to Omar right now.

Reaction Score
This game was a glorified scrimmage that Ollie used to get guys minutes. Omar was 3-4 with 2 3's and a baseline tomahawk slam in 4 min before going to the bench for the next 8. Boat sat for 3 min after playing 5. Brimah could have gone for 40 on lobs every time mcbride was in the game. Kentan hit a 3. This was line up mixing and trial and error, you can't look at the box and say we underperformed. Some guys are making better use of their minutes than others though. Rodney is hemoraging minutes to Omar right now.
This is how I felt about it. Never really feared for the game despite how close UCF made it.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
The husky-goggles are thick tonight

Reaction Score
This game was a glorified scrimmage that Ollie used to get guys minutes. Omar was 3-4 with 2 3's and a baseline tomahawk slam in 4 min before going to the bench for the next 8. Boat sat for 3 min after playing 5. Brimah could have gone for 40 on lobs every time mcbride was in the game. Kentan hit a 3. This was line up nmixing and trial and error, you can't look at the box and say we underperformed. Some guys are making better use of their minutes than others though. Rodney is hemoraging minutes to Omar right now.

I can't ever remember a BE conference game described like that. New day it is.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
I can't ever remember a BE conference game described like that. New day it is.

It was very rare, but once in a while a DePaul or USF game would spring up at a time we needed. DePaul in first round of 2011 BET was a jump starter to bigger things.

Reaction Score
No he didn't, not from my point of view. He tried to do too much at key times especially, some worked out to be TO's others he was bailed out. He made some shots sure, but he's not playing well, sorry. Even his body language and leadership isn't the same as early in the year.

But I was having some dinner and beers out with the boss so I may have missed some good plays too. But I did;t miss the ones he shouldn't be making as the Sr leader. Just one man's opinion.

I don't know what game you were watching. Boat had about 3 bad turnovers, other than that he was fantastic. Clearly the best player on the floor. 7 assists and many plays leading to other player's assists while still the game high scorer. Defense was so/so, but it's hard to play both ways with energy when your playing so many minutes.

Reaction Score
Not sure if either of you can read but I admitted I did not see the whole game so I could have missed some. Even Boat admitted he wasn't great and made some mistakes so try to drive a little further down from the headlines!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure if either of you can read but I admitted I did not see the whole game so I could have missed some. Even Boat admitted he wasn't great and made some mistakes so try to drive a little further down from the headlines!
I read your posts and the article and understand both, and I watched and paid attention to the whole game. Of course Boat made some mistakes. He was not great--never said he was--but he was good, both as a player and as a leader imo. You could take any game last season prior to the tourney and say the same about Bazz as you have said about Boat based on a limited sample. Bazz had a lot of bad plays, bad halves and bad attitude moments. But the good far outweighed the bad, and it all came together at the end when the supporting cast came around and was able to take more pressure off of him. The former is true of Ryan imo; all we can do is hope that the latter may be possible as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom