A midsummer's look at the American Athletic Conference | The Boneyard

A midsummer's look at the American Athletic Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
UConn deff has toughest road but easiest way to play their way into the tournament if they get some solid OOC wins. But we knew this... good article though

Reaction Score
Did anyone else think ... "wait ... when did Gary Clark become a 3 point shooter"

As for the gaze at the conference: you are looking at dumpster fires at USF, Memphis, ECU ... and then Tulane barely rising from ashes. That's a foursome of far less.

Reaction Score
I think Temple and UConn really need to step up their games. And I think Memphis could well surprise some people. But this league has the potential to be very good. Unfortunately many of the schools who have the pedigree to be top programs just have not done it. No reason that this should not be almost an automatic 5-6 bid league when you look at its members. Everyone but Cincinnati and SMU have been at best under achievers. We have been since 2013 Memphis since before that, Temple really sine they joined. That those 5 plus WSU aren't almost locks year in year out is unreal.

Reaction Score
I think Temple and UConn really need to step up their games. And I think Memphis could well surprise some people. But this league has the potential to be very good. Unfortunately many of the schools who have the pedigree to be top programs just have not done it. No reason that this should not be almost an automatic 5-6 bid league when you look at its members. Everyone but Cincinnati and SMU have been at best under achievers. We have been since 2013 Memphis since before that, Temple really sine they joined. That those 5 plus WSU aren't almost locks year in year out is unreal.

By any measurement, it is hard to say we have been under achievers since 2013. Unless I am mistaken, didn't we win a national title in 2014?

Reaction Score
Good article. This is probably about as strong a non-power league as I've seen in some time (backhanded compliment, I know, but it seems like there are a half dozen teams or so that could get hot and win a game or two in the NCAA Tournament).

Temple is a major darkhorse for me. Dunphy can coach and they have talent. UCF will be fascinating to watch, too.

Reaction Score

Pretty unbelievable

You win the National Championship ... and free scooter thinks you underachieved.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pretty unbelievable

You win the National Championship --- and free scooter thinks you underachieved.

Well, in all fairness, it wasn't a world championship.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else think ... "wait ... when did Gary Clark become a 3 point shooter"

As for the gaze at the conference: you are looking at dumpster fires at USF, Memphis, ECU ... and then Tulane barely rising from ashes. That's a foursome of far less.

ECU beat us this past season so we better watch out for that dumpster fire

Reaction Score
Pretty unbelievable

You win the National Championship ... and free scooter thinks you underachieved.
Obviously I meant 2014. And even then we had to win the in the conference tourney to be sure we got to the dance and what have we done since? A trip to the NIT then a trip to the NCAAs that required winning the AAC tourney and a season with losses to Wagner, Northeastern, East Carolina and no post season at all. 30-24 conference record. Yeah underachieving is a polite term for our play since we won the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom