A lot of positives to take away from tonight | The Boneyard

A lot of positives to take away from tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm rehashing some things that were discussed in other threads, but I just wanted to take a moment to consolidate some positives I took away from tonight's game.

First and foremost, KML has clearly established herself as the franchise player I hoped she'd be coming into this year. She will make the WBCA/State Farm team without a shadow of a doubt, and really ought to make the AP team as well. She will have her name on the Wall guaranteed after this season...and she doesn't give a s***. I think she leaves UConn with at least one NPOY honor as long as she stays healthy...possibly two years' worth.

Secondly, and almost as important, you will see the name Dolson on the Wall next to Mosqueda-Lewis as well. Stef was a warrior tonight. Yes, Griner pretty much scored at will in the second half, but Stef played her ass off for 40 minutes. One more offseason, and she's the best center in the country next year. I don't think it will be close.

Thirdly, Bria can play a lot better than that. So if you're holding out hope that UConn upsets Baylor in New Orleans if given the opportunity...well, it's not out of the question if Bria doesn't try to drive on a 6'8" player.

Fourthly, Morgan Tuck was the Morgan Tuck I've expected to see all season. She was asked to play a ton of minutes tonight, and she delivered. Was it a perfect game? No, not at all. Was it a phenomenal game for a freshman? Yes, absolutely.

Fifthly, Moriah Jefferson is going to be a freaking beast next season.

I think UConn learned a lot in this game. To beat this Baylor team, you've got to take advantage of your opportunities. Baylor's perimeter defense has improved as they've gotten more and more used to Griner shutting down the middle. They do a good job moving to the basket if Griner is double and triple teamed. They have very, very active hands on defense. So when there's a rebound to get, you have to grab it. When there's an open shot, you have to hit it. Baylor will turn you over, but you can't turn yourself over. It's one thing to know all of that, and it's another to experience it. UConn did so, and still came pretty close.

So, two more positive thoughts:

-Barring injury, UConn is going to win the national championship in 2014.

-This season, Baylor would beat UConn 15 times out of 20. But UConn could beat them once.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm rehashing some things that were discussed in other threads, but I just wanted to take a moment to consolidate some positives I took away from tonight's game.

First and foremost, KML has clearly established herself as the franchise player I hoped she'd be coming into this year. She will make the WBCA/State Farm team without a shadow of a doubt, and really ought to make the AP team as well. She will have her name on the Wall guaranteed after this season...and she doesn't give a s***. I think she leaves UConn with at least one NPOY honor as long as she stays healthy...possibly two years' worth.

Secondly, and almost as important, you will see the name Dolson on the Wall next to Mosqueda-Lewis as well. Stef was a warrior tonight. Yes, Griner pretty much scored at will in the second half, but Stef played her ass off for 40 minutes. One more offseason, and she's the best center in the country next year. I don't think it will be close.

Thirdly, Bria can play a lot better than that. So if you're holding out hope that UConn upsets Baylor in New Orleans if given the opportunity...well, it's not out of the question if Bria doesn't try to drive on a 6'8" player.

Fourthly, Morgan Tuck was the Morgan Tuck I've expected to see all season. She was asked to play a ton of minutes tonight, and she delivered. Was it a perfect game? No, not at all. Was it a phenomenal game for a freshman? Yes, absolutely.

I think UConn learned a lot in this game. To beat this Baylor team, you've got to take advantage of your opportunities. Baylor's perimeter defense has improved as they've gotten more and more used to Griner shutting down the middle. They do a good job moving to the basket if Griner is double and triple teamed. They have very, very active hands on defense. So when there's a rebound to get, you have to grab it. When there's an open shot, you have to hit it. Baylor will turn you over, but you can't turn yourself over. It's one thing to know all of that, and it's another to experience it. UConn did so, and still came pretty close.

-This season, Baylor would beat UConn 15 times out of 20. But UConn could beat them once.

One more positive is that it was a good game for WBB. It had great defense, execution on offense, skill all around, full house and a competitive game!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great points Alex.

Here are Geno's post-game comments which I also posted in another thread:
  • UConn in control 1st half until last 3 minutes which showed that when you make mental mistakes against a really good team the game can change quickly. As well as they played defensively it should have been a 15 point game at halftime. Coaches knew no way Baylor would score only 26 points in 2nd half.
  • Geno told Kaleena she had the type of game Maya used to have. Only difference was 7 minute stretch when she disappeared which would not have happened with Maya. Kaleena will learn from this.
  • Team could have won game, but not smart enough. As individuals not good enough but collectively they can win this game. There were possessions in the 2nd half when team just didn't do what they were supposed to do (trap Griner; rotate quickly). In 2nd half traps were not there and help defense was not there. Geno thought Stef played great. Impossible to guard Griner by herself; she didn't get much help in the 2nd half.
  • Morgan is best inside player other than Stef. She's the healthiest she's been all year and is a good basketball player. She was terrific, particularly in a game of this magnitude.
  • Stewart's mind isn't allowing her to be the player she capable of being. The physical things she's struggling with have affected her mind.
  • There are good turnovers and bad turnovers. Every turnover tonight was a bad one ... for a lay-up. Baylor got 22 points off turnovers.
  • Geno thought if they shot 45% would win but didn't count on 18 bad turnovers.
  • Regarding Baylor's offensive rebounds, it pisses him off that Kiah Stokes and Breanna Stewart aren't ready to play in a game like this. Either we need to get better coaching them or they need to get better as players.
  • Can not beat Baylor if you let Pope (or someone not named Griner or Sims) get 18 points and 9 rebounds.
  • Sims hurts by stripping guards at critical times. She's the best in the country at defending/impacting opposing guards.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One final positive thought: tonight is not Tuesday, April 9. I thought going in to this season that UConn is the only team that has a chance of beating this Baylor team and I still believe that tonight. I hope they get another shot.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The starting guards were 5 for 16 with 8 turnovers.
Can't beat Baylor with that line.
Bria hit some 3's
I had a feeling that Geno was going to start MoJeff.

Reaction Score
Last night's loss is the functional equivalent of a spring training game in Florida somewhere. That analogy comes easy to me because I'm in Florida at the moment. That also made seeing the positives in the loss a little easier :-o

I think the road to a NC was helped by the loss. We now know exactly what needs to be improved upon. One caution: It might be tempting to take the physicality personally, as we do with that other nemesis: ND.

That would be a mistake. It's all business from here on in.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well stated, Alex, there were plenty of positives to take away from the game.

Reaction Score

-This season, Baylor would beat UConn 15 times out of 20. But UConn could beat them once.[/

Your right about everything you said. But on the other side, this game shows the continued disappearing of Caroline, Kelly and now Stewart in big games. We can't beat elite teams if someone else doesn't step up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of positives. Kaleena was great. Being compared to Maya is as good as it gets. Morgan played big-time against a big-time opponent as a frosh. Wow! Stef played tough, and Kelly played hard.

When the substitution order is Moriah, Morgan, then Breanna, that's both good and bad.

Yes, Bree and Kiah need to give us something, either spelling Stef or on the court with her.

Ball handling needs to tighen up. I recall a ND at UConn game in our 8-loss season of 2004-05. It was a low-scoring affair in which ND could barely score in the halfcourt. But we telegraphed about 5 passes near the top of the key that were turned into steals and uncontested layups, allowing ND to get the win. If you throw the ball out if bounds it is better than throwing it to the other guys, especially near halfcourt.

Opportunities! Against lesser teams, you can overcome mistakes. Against really good teams, they cost you. Yes, we could have had a 15-point lead at the half. That might have been a big enough cushion. But we didn't take advantage.

We can play with these guys. I'm not sure they beat us 80% of the time, but it's at least 50%.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
wbfree - I know I am a Kelly defender, but I wouldn't really call 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal a disappearing act for Faris. Considering Tuck has two more points on 5 more shots and had the same number of rebounds as Kelly. Her two "traveling" turnovers weren't ones that directly led to layups - and neither was her third (first chronologically - the pass to Dolson out of bounds out on top). I thought that Kelly sat too long - only playing 26 minutes but when I look at the +/-, I am still a realist and see that there may have been others that were also equally or more effective last night. And I guess the other game you are referring to her disappearing in the season was Notre Dame (she only had 13 points, 11 rebounds, and 7 assists and played all 40 minutes) - so maybe you are right :confused:

From last night:
#3 Morgan Tuck (-2)
#4 Moriah Jefferson (-2)
#5 Caroline Doty (-5)
#13 Brianna Banks (DNP)
#14 Bria Hartley (-1)
#23 Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (-3)
#30 Breanna Stewart (-7)
#31 Stefanie Dolson (-6)
#32 Heather Buck (DNP)
#34 Kelly Faris (-6)
#41 Kiah Stokes (+2)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Folks speak of Bria's issues and Caroline's woes but Kelly, who Geno singled out as having a difficult game last night has had more of her share of up (very) and down games this season for a person who prides herself on consistency and discipline.

Again, as in another thread, I question: is something not quite right in the relationship between the coaches and the players this season?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Folks speak of Bria's issues and Caroline's woes but Kelly, who Geno singled out as having a difficult game last night has had more of her share of up (very) and down games this season for a person who prides herself on consistency and discipline.

Again, as in another thread, I question: is something not quite right in the relationship between the coaches and the players this season?

No she hasn't been as inconsistent as the other two. That's just inaccurate. And once again, you take what you've imagined to be true and try to stir the pot and goad others in to having a negative response. And then I suppose you'll complain about the negative response. It all seems very familiar.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Last night's loss is the functional equivalent of a spring training game in Florida somewhere. That analogy comes easy to me because I'm in Florida at the moment. That also made seeing the positives in the loss a little easier :-o

I think the road to a NC was helped by the loss. We now know exactly what needs to be improved upon. One caution: It might be tempting to take the physicality personally, as we do with that other nemesis: ND.

That would be a mistake. It's all business from here on in.
Since the road to the national championship is helped by losing to a NC contender, I'm surprised that more teams don't try and lose these games. What weaknesses showed up that we didn't know about before yesterday's game?

Reaction Score

Alex, I agree with all your positives but have to add that Breanna was a negative. She has regressed and seems unable to compete against the good WCBB players. Unfortunately, I don't see the player who I felt early in the season would ensure a NCAA title. And I don't believe it is because post players take longer to develop (see Morgan Tuck). For some reason Breanna is unable to perform at this level now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

No.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No she hasn't been as inconsistent as the other two. That's just inaccurate. And once again, you take what you've imagined to be true and try to stir the pot and goad others in to having a negative response. And then I suppose you'll complain about the negative response. It all seems very familiar
I must admit that when I watch the games and read the board's reaction, I consider other avenues of discussion that are not currently on the radar screen and bring them up. I don't think i've ever done anything closely related to your gratuitous last few sentences.

I also have a general sense (sometimes incorrect)that you referred to as "what You've imagined," not always based on stats but in this case based on what Geno actually said on three occasions this season.

In the discussion of yesterday's game Geno noted that Kelly was less than stellar.
That call-out had not been discussed by the board in the analysis of the game.

I remembered the game (forgot which one) that Geno had put her on a very high pedestal and then the following game the Mt Rushmore statement, which I think is the definition of inconsistent.

But lets not consider only that... I still think that a glance at recent statistics indicates uneven output. I don't believe (especially in Kelly's case) that stats are the whole story but statistically, she had a strong game against Marquette, wonderful games against St. John's and Providence a weak game statistically against Rutgers and mediocre games against DePaul and Villanova (with no turn-overs in the latter one).

Might that not fit a definition of inconsistent?

Do you remember twice in a season, Geno calling out Kelly's game in a negative fashion? I don't.

Are you falling into some poster's trap of immediately finding fault with anything I propose?

My sense is that Caroline has been more consistent this season

Reaction Score
I have zero clue how you can make the jump from supposed inconsistency from Kelly to "something not right between the players and coaches".
And as to the supposed terribly inconsistent Kelly, at some level, the whole point of playing the game is to make the other guy "inconsistent". Kelly has won that game far more than she has lost. Kelly has completely nullified the best offensive player the other team has had several times this season. The other player was then "inconsistent". The best athlete in the world will have better days than others. Did it ever occur to us that maybe Kelly has been fighting the flu, a cold, a class that she's not grasping easily, or even "struggling" with the new (for her) spotlight. If it was easy, everybody could do it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One very big positive: the crowd. Just like it used to be.

Reaction Score
Since the road to the national championship is helped by losing to a NC contender, I'm surprised that more teams don't try and lose these games. What weaknesses showed up that we didn't know about before yesterday's game?

Huskybill sez:

"Since the road to the national championship is helped by losing to a NC contender,..."

I'm here assuming Huskybill disagrees that the nc is helped by losing to a contender. Firstly, putting it that way misses the main element of my comment and changes that element from what it was to something it was not. My comment is specific to rematches.

For starters, one need only recall the '01 national semi final where UCONN lost the ND rematch. Or, more recently, and more painfully, the same outcome and same teams in the '10 national semi after UCONN had won 2 of 3 prior games v ND that year. Baylor losing to aTm in the 4th game between them that same season is another example.

Do other posters doubt that rematch games have a tendency to favor the team that lost the earlier matchup?

Huskybill sez:

"I'm surprised that more teams don't try and lose these games."

Really, Huskybill? Your interpretation of the intent of the post is a bit of a reach. But maybe it was my fault in using the spring training analogy. Sorry if I misled you. I wasn't suggesting the analogy to imply losing on purpose, or throwing a game; rather, I was referring to the relative unimportance of the loss in the regular season in comparison with a tournament matchup, especially a final 4 contest. Once again, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Huskybill sez:

"What weaknesses showed up that we didn't know about before yesterday's game?"

Once again, a misinterpretation of my intent. I did say we know the exact weaknesses that need to be addressed v Baylor, and by extension, ND as well, which knowledge comes about by having played and lost to those 2 teams. On the flip side, the top contenders UCONN easily beat--Stanfird and Duke--for example, know the exact nature of their weaknesses against UCONN.

Do you disagree that head to head matchups do not supply new information and thus add to the content of what was known already? If so, I would say that you may wish to reconsider.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bill's attempts at humor fall a little short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom