A lot of news from Courant's beat writer on UConn's spring practices | The Boneyard

A lot of news from Courant's beat writer on UConn's spring practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I said this on the recruiting board and I'll say it again here.

The fault here lies with the program keeping things under wraps and not allowing access. I don't blame the beat guys that much. We are not Ohio St. If you limit access, you will get minor league coverage. It's exactly the opposite of what the program needs right now.

Reaction Score
Access is limited how? To entire practices, players, coaches? Even if this is the case (which sounds dubious), it's a journalist's job to gather information. That might take legwork, but maybe I'm being naive to think that in this day and age, that's something to be expected of the courant (see Colin "research it for me" McEnroe).

As an aside, a good journalist uses an electronic device called a telephone to gather information. While relatively new, it is becoming more widespread, and supposedly allows two people to speak with each other long distances.

I said this on the recruiting board and I'll say it again here.

The fault here lies with the program keeping things under wraps and not allowing access. I don't blame the beat guys that much. We are not Ohio St. If you limit access, you will get minor league coverage. It's exactly the opposite of what the program needs right now.

Reaction Score
Access is limited how? To entire practices, players, coaches? Even if this is the case (which sounds dubious), it's a journalist's job to gather information. That might take legwork, but maybe I'm being naive to think that in this day and age, that's something to be expected of the courant (see Colin "research it for me" McEnroe).

As an aside, a good journalist uses an electronic device called a telephone to gather information. While relatively new, it is becoming more widespread, and supposedly allows two people to speak with each other long distances.

Yes, entire practices are closed to the media. There's only a handful that are open. The horde used to have access to almost every spring practice and be able to blog and tweet from there, but even that is no longer allowed.

I hate to break it to you, but the journalists will go only so far if there is limited demand. We are not Ohio State where there are literally hundreds of thousands of diehard fans blood thirsty for information. We need to make it as easy as can be to get access to the practices. The school is not doing itself any favors. It's free publicity. They're worried about someone stealing a play or something? Please.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ohio State cultivates that coverage. Maybe not full access, but if an Ohio paper wants to do a story every day, the SID will find one for him every day.

I won't be Pulitzer material, but there will be coverage.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Ohio State cultivates that coverage. Maybe not full access, but if an Ohio paper wants to do a story every day, the SID will find one for him every day.

I won't be Pulitzer material, but there will be coverage.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Why aren't we cultivating that coverage? Were they afraid that our opponents would figure out that we run the ball on 1st and 2nd down?

Reaction Score
Honestly, not too defend Desmond Conner, but other than injuries, not much comes out of Spring Practice is all that newsworthy. The Spring Game for just about every program looks like a big pile of poo in terms of football quality.

Reaction Score
The coverage is decent if tou read it. Are u guys lookin for news or drama. I

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that their is not a lot of breaking news during the spring practice but would it be that hard to maybe do an occasional spotlight on some of the new incoming freshmen or even maybe setup a quick interview with Whitmer. Desmond Conner has gotten completely complacent in his position and puts in little to no effort at this point. His converage of this team has declined every year. I think its time to make a change and get someone in there that wants to do the job.

I understand the program wants to keep things a little more secret but is it really out of the question to get some interviews that can be run by PP before its posted to make sure there is nothing over the line in the article?

Reaction Score
I remember last year Dez had multiple stories about coaches and players, what seemed like, all spring long.

This year PP must be feeling the pressure and has backed off. I think the press will start questioning his ability if we go in the toilet this year.

Reaction Score
I agree that there is more, but given the amount of negativity surrounding the program and the general malaise of the fanbase, I don't blame them for staying quiet. Every time someone says Joe Williams looks great, there will be plenty of BY'ers here to snigger and make snide remarks about Pasqualoni and how hopeless the team is.

I do wish there was more, however. But I get it. If you can't build hype, sometimes it's best not to build anything.. ?

Reaction Score
So from this thread, is it wrong to summarize that UConn football sucks, lacks energy, and is devoid of interest to all except cult fans, close friends and family of the players and coaches.? And that our embalmed head coach purposefully is sucking the life force out of the program while a journalist sycophant hobbles around waiting for orders?

I guess if that is the case, on the bright side while we have hit rock bottom that means things can only improve! It's always darker before the dawn and all of that.

By the way, that powerhouse Memphis football squad has had 16 stories written about it in the last three weeks in the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Reaction Score
And that our embalmed head coach purposefully is sucking the life force out of the program while a journalist sycophant hobbles around waiting for orders?

You're confusing facts with things that come out of your mouth again.

Reaction Score
You're confusing facts with things that come out of your mouth again.

Are we reverting to the Hater Blog again? Please no more I beg you.

Love PP. Go AAC!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
By the way, that powerhouse Memphis football squad has had 16 stories written about it in the last three weeks in the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

I only included the ones that had to do w/ the current players or practices. I left out the ones that talked about of future NFL draft picks, Pro Day, the new conference, the future scheduling agreement with BYU or the equipment manager.! If I include them I can get to 14 and we still have another week to go - Memphis' Spring Practice is already done.:D

I think you add in Silver and Fuller and there is info out there.... But i agree that for those here - there will never be enough. Just can't use one source.

Reaction Score

I think Dez knows what a phone is. It's just that, with the bum achilles, he can't get out of bed and get to where the phone is plugged in.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Dez knows what a phone is. It's just that, with the bum achilles, he can't get out of bed and get to where the phone is plugged in.

Good thing he can still get to Twitter and email, otherwise we'd still be in the dark about his Achilles injury scoop.

Reaction Score
Good thing he can still get to Twitter and email, otherwise we'd still be in the dark about his Achilles injury scoop.

"Lower body injury"

Reaction Score
Down here in Tampa, there's almost nothing about the Green-Gold game of the USF Bulls...There's alot of coverage on UF and FSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom