A look at how the roster performed and how it might be shaped for 2020-21 | The Boneyard

A look at how the roster performed and how it might be shaped for 2020-21

Reaction Score
Similar articles from Amore and Borges. Nothing else to read now.

Reaction Score
Disagree with Amore -- "Hurley has the flexibility to take a transfer who would have to sit out a year." With Akok likely unavailable, that would leave either 10 or 11 scholarship players, depending on whether Polley is recovered. Let's not go down that road again, please!

Reaction Score
Agree. I think we have to assume that akok will be out most if not all of the season and that Polley will be available but will take him a while to get back to his level.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Agree. I think we have to assume that akok will be out most if not all of the season and that Polley will be available but will take him a while to get back to his level.
I disagree we’ll be fine at the 4 with Whaley, Springs and Jackson even BA in a 4 guard look. 10 deep is too deep. We have flexibility here.

Reaction Score
I generally am on the same page. Most teams have better chemistry when less guys are playing and we won a bunch of games at the end of this season that way.
But we have had the worst luck with injuries so I would rather not go the transfer that has to sit route unless it’s a program changing type of player.

Reaction Score

Taking a transfer who would have to sit a year out -- unless the NCAA allows larger rosters next year due to the season's cancellation -- should only be done if the player is an All American level player. Akok is unlikely to play, Polley has a material chance that he won't be the player he was, and you can't again go into a season with only 10 players. Unless you don't care if games sometimes end with walk-ons getting game deciding shots.

Reaction Score
And another one from the Journal Inquirer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I would plan as if Akok is unavailable for all next year and Polley can become a productive sniper off the bench. Anything better from either of them is a bonus.

Reaction Score
My thoughts...

RS: Polley, Akok, *Nolley, **Javonte Brown Ferguson

PG: RJ Cole, Jalen Gaffney

SG: James Bouknight, Brendan Adams

SF: Andre Jackson

PF: Isaiah Whaley, Richie Springs

C: ***Etienne, Carlton

*If Nolley is not granted immediate eligibility he has to sit. If he is granted immediate eligibility, he will likely start at the 3. That’s the hope

**Javonte Brown Ferguson will only redshirt if Etienne reclasses to 2020, just because Javonte Brown Ferguson is youngfor his class and could use the year to build to his frame.

***Etienne would have to reclass to 2020

Reaction Score
* AG graduates and goes pro (make that $$$ AG!)
* Akok takes a medical reshirt
* Polley plays but not ready for game 1.

After the injuries, I liked how Hurley started both Whaley and Carlton and then transitioned Whaley to the small ball 5. Here's how it can look:

Starting lineup:
Gaffney, Cole, Bouknight, Whaley, Carlton

Key reserves:
Jackson, Adams, grad transfer who can shoot, Polley (when ready)

Back of bench:
Sid, Springs, Brown-Ferguson

Reaction Score
Im gonna go big here with the notion Polley is good to go. Need his shooting...
SF-Polley
PF-Whaley
C-Carlton
PG-Cole
SG Bouknight
followed by....
SF-Jackson-Wilson
PF-Spring
C-Grad Transfer-Ferguson
PG-Gaffney
SG-Adams
when Akok comes back mid season...slides in backing up both forward spots..25-6 season :)

Reaction Score
My thoughts...

RS: Polley, Akok, *Nolley, **Javonte Brown Ferguson

SG: James Bouknight, Brendan Adams

SF: Andre Jackson

PF: Isaiah Whaley, Richie Springs

C: ***Etienne, Carlton

*If Nolley is not granted immediate eligibility he has to sit. If he is granted immediate eligibility, he will likely start at the 3. That’s the hope

**Javonte Brown Ferguson will only redshirt if Etienne reclasses to 2020, just because Javonte Brown Ferguson is youngfor his class and could use the year to build to his frame.

***Etienne would have to reclass to 2020

***Etienne is not ready to start at center in the big east. We just saw a video yesterday of him getting bullied in the post by Sonogo who is in the 2021 class. Etienne will be even less ready to contribute if he reclasses to 2020.

Polly will play even if he doesn't have a full workload game 1. He's progressing well per Coach Hurley.

Assume Nolly won't red shirt NCAA is going to get the transfer rule. Nor will Javonte Brown Ferguson. We have more need for PF depth than at Center. And Andre Jackson won't be ready to start at the 3.

RS: Akok

SG: James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Brendan Adams

SF: Nolley*, Polley

PF: Bruner**, Richie Springs

C: Isaiah Whaley, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson

* If we get Nolley, he'll get first crack at starting while Polley works back into game shape. Polley will have the opportunity to win the starting spot back as a senior based on practice, defense and in game performance results between him and Nolley. If we don't get Nolley then we go with Cole/Gaffney as starters and Bouk at the 3 spot just like this past season and bring in another PG for depth and ball handling responsibilities.

** Prefer Bruner over Etienne. Gives us experienced depth at the 4/5 position. Means we're not dependant on Carlton or a freshman like Etienne to start at the 5. Gives Springs/Javonte Brown Ferguson time to get a feel for college basketball and the Big East. Both will be needed but in less demanding roles.

*** Pass on Etienne for 2020. maybe he's ready for 2021. But in that case, looks like Sonogo is the bigger target.

BA/Jackson are our extra guards at the 2/3 position matchup dependant and if we go small.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom