A look ahead | The Boneyard

A look ahead

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, not to next year. This season is still alive.

So, next up is USF, currently 0-7 in the AAC. After that, Tulane 1-6, and then the inevitable Cinci game. Fortunately, we have a full week off before the Cinci game, while they come off a road game against Tulsa. If things go according to form, we finish that stretch at 5-5 in league play 10-12 overall. Then USF again, to hopefully get us to 6-5 and 11-12.

After that we will see if this team has grown or not. UCF, Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU in succession, ECU and Cinci to close. That's 6 tough opponents. UCF, Temple and Houston on the road.

What I'm allowing myself a chance to be slightly hopeful about, is that we get a few weeks against really terrible teams to let the kids develop and the team to gain confidence. We need to win at least 4 of those last 7 games. We'd finish .500 overall and one game over in the AAC.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We really have very little chance of succeeding unless Ollie can find the same switch he used on Facey for Purvis and Brimah.

Reaction Score
No, not to next year. This season is still alive.

So, next up is USF, currently 0-7 in the AAC. After that, Tulane 1-6, and then the inevitable Cinci game. Fortunately, we have a full week off before the Cinci game, while they come off a road game against Tulsa. If things go according to form, we finish that stretch at 5-5 in league play 10-12 overall. Then USF again, to hopefully get us to 6-5 and 11-12.

After that we will see if this team has grown or not. UCF, Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU in succession, ECU and Cinci to close. That's 6 tough opponents. UCF, Temple and Houston on the road.

What I'm allowing myself a chance to be slightly hopeful about, is that we get a few weeks against really terrible teams to let the kids develop and the team to gain confidence. We need to win at least 4 of those last 7 games. We'd finish .500 overall and one game over in the AAC.
Sorry about this being negative "truthful". This season is still alive? We just beat a cupcake and our season is alive? I guess if alive means watching Vance, Jalen, Vital, and Durham build their games I can agree with you and am all in but if you're thinking something crazy like winning the AAC to go to post season play then I'd like to know what drug you are on. We are going to lose some of those tough opponent games by 20 points, or greater. The other scenario is going down big early and the other team milking their leads so we only lose by 10. The sample size is not small at this point in the season. We could beat some of those teams but either way does not revive our season to alive status. BTW my greatest hope would be that I am wrong so that I can be derided and mocked.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry about this being negative "truthful". This season is still alive? We just beat a cupcake and our season is alive? I guess if alive means watching Vance, Jalen, Vital, and Durham build their games I can agree with you and am all in but if you're thinking something crazy like winning the AAC to go to post season play then I'd like to know what drug you are on. We are going to lose some of those tough opponent games by 20 points, or greater. The other scenario is going down big early and the other team milking their leads so we only lose by 10. The sample size is not small at this point in the season. We could beat some of those teams but either way does not revive our season to alive status. BTW my greatest hope would be that I am wrong so that I can be derided and mocked.
I promise if you are wrong I will deride and mock you.:cool:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It ain't over until it's over. I'm not saying I'd bet my house on making the NCAAs, but as we saw in 2011, anything is possible. My post was an attempt to look at what is coming up. And what is coming up is two games against bad teams, just when we need them. Then Cinci...and no, I don't have much hope for that one. Then another bad team. In short, we have 1 tough game in the next 3 weeks. Enough time, I hope, to at least get back to 7 players. If they get some confidence (RP is always better late in the season) and win a few tough games, we can finish at .500 and over .500 in the league. I'm not talking about running the table. From there, at Hartford, they might pull a miracle. But avoiding a losing season would be a positive in my view.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We really have very little chance of succeeding unless Ollie can find the same switch he used on Facey for Purvis and Brimah.
PERHAPS it's not KO that has to find the switch
PERHAPS that switch you are referring to regulates pride, determination and heart
RP and AB will have to find that switch themselves. They both know where it is because we have seen it before - mostly from RP but there have been glimpses from AB
It's not up to the coach to be the one to find THE switch - and if anyone doesn't think that KO hasn't tried to bring that out, they have a switch off somewhere.
There is a switch in all athletes that allows them to compete on a different and higher level but only they have the ability to turn that switch - it's completely different from switches that others can adjust for them. Coaches, parents, friends and teammates can urge, plead and coach them to turn that switch but only the player can.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I can buy into hope for over .500. Wouldn't bet the mortgage or even my dry cleaning bill on it though. The fact that we are even discussing hoping for over .500 is making me ill.

Reaction Score
Are they missing the rest of the season? That is seriously hurt you bleeping dumb $$$$ head.
Seems more like the definition you just made up in a sad attempt to avoid looking like a person who doesn't even follow the team and just shows up here to complain.

Reaction Score
Seems more like the definition you just made up in a sad attempt to avoid looking like a person who doesn't even follow the team and just shows up here to complain.

OMG you nailed it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
PERHAPS it's not KO that has to find the switch
PERHAPS that switch you are referring to regulates pride, determination and heart
RP and AB will have to find that switch themselves. They both know where it is because we have seen it before - mostly from RP but there have been glimpses from AB
It's not up to the coach to be the one to find THE switch - and if anyone doesn't think that KO hasn't tried to bring that out, they have a switch off somewhere.
There is a switch in all athletes that allows them to compete on a different and higher level but only they have the ability to turn that switch - it's completely different from switches that others can adjust for them. Coaches, parents, friends and teammates can urge, plead and coach them to turn that switch but only the player can.
I think those two would like to find the switch as well.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I hope to jump on board the derision and mocking bus, but not looking too likely.

Reaction Score
I think we have to wait until we see how they play SMU & Cincy at home to see how much of a chance they have in the AACT. Win or play those teams close and continue to look like the team in the games against UCF and Temple from the past couple weeks and I'm not sure how folks wouldn't at least have a little bit of hope.

Reaction Score
I think we have to wait until we see how they play SMU & Cincy at home to see how much of a chance they have in the AACT. Win or play those teams close and continue to look like the team in the games against UCF and Temple from the past couple weeks and I'm not sure how folks wouldn't at least have a little bit of hope.
^^^This. All of the people look at it like we have to beat SMU at Moody or Cincy in their building. We aren't capable of beating them in their building. Can they beat us at the XL Center? That becomes the question.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
^^^This. All of the people look at it like we have to beat SMU at Moody or Cincy in their building. We aren't capable of beating them in their building. Can they beat us at the XL Center? That becomes the question.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we are 2-1 vs SMU at XL with the one loss in the AAC tournament final two years ago and 2-2 overall at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom