A look ahead: 2014 UConn football roster (Andrew Callahan) | The Boneyard

A look ahead: 2014 UConn football roster (Andrew Callahan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he touched upon an important aspect of next year. Diaco's change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 is next year's version of the change to zone blocking. In the presser he addressed this......but next year how far does he go in trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

I'm hoping he's the anti-PGDL in this regard.

Reaction Score
I think he touched upon an important aspect of next year. Diaco's change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 is next year's version of the change to zone blocking. In the presser he addressed this......but next year how far does he go in trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

I'm hoping he's the anti-PGDL in this regard.

If he is true to his word, "don't ask players to do something they can't do" he won't force it. I'd be very happy if they stuck to the 4-3. ND actually used both defenses but was mostly 3-4.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was about to post something along the lines that Notre Dame always flipped between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the offense of the opponent, but metsfan2323 beat me to it. So instead I'll just say that this switch doesn't concern me as much as GDL's switch to zone blocking. You're still have gap responsibility…its just done more with LBs than DL. With the number of offenses going fast uptempo, it makes a bit of sense to sacrifice bulk for speed on defense. Besides, there is going to be one very happy camper in the Burton cafeteria. While everyone else on the team will be on portion and substance controlled diets during conditioning, whoever will be our NT in the 3-4 will be eating and eating and eating to beef up to be our anchor.

Reaction Score
I think he confuses what is needed at DL/OLB positions. If we are lining up at McBryde in middel and flanking him with Angelo Pruitt and either Julian Campenni or Mikal Meyers, we'll have issues. Those 2 young men (JC and MM) need to be in the middle, based on size and speed. Otherwise, we'll be seeing sweeps to their side all day long. I could see McBryde in middle or at end.

And while I love the idea of Knappe at DE, I think we need to move Norris back there and leave Franks there (and Ormsby). Watch out for Jalen Stevens at OLB, who's speed off the edge is needed. Then again, the writer forgot we had RS' on the team at a position other than QB.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was about to post something along the lines that Notre Dame always flipped between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the offense of the opponent, but metsfan2323 beat me to it. So instead I'll just say that this switch doesn't concern me as much as GDL's switch to zone blocking. You're still have gap responsibility…its just done more with LBs than DL. With the number of offenses going fast uptempo, it makes a bit of sense to sacrifice bulk for speed on defense. Besides, there is going to be one very happy camper in the Burton cafeteria. While everyone else on the team will be on portion and substance controlled diets during conditioning, whoever will be our NT in the 3-4 will be eating and eating and eating to beef up to be our anchor.
I agree with this, and I also think that while teams play a base 3-4 or 4-3, almost nobody plays only one or the other. Sophisticated defenses that are played these days are variations of one or the other depending on situations. I think you'll see a relatively gradual shift as personell change.

Reaction Score
I think Tommy Meyers will press for playing time or even to start.

Don't know enough about Josh to have an opinion. But...he will be the fastest RB on the squad (assuming no Joe Williams).
Also assuming that Newsome redshirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate