A little more like UConn basketball | The Boneyard

A little more like UConn basketball

Reaction Score
That was probably one of the best three games I've seen Jalen play in a UConn uniform. Dominant, all-American caliber performance that I expected to see more of at the start of the season. It isn't a fair standard to hold someone to but then again how can you not?

Watching Diarra tonight was no exaggeration the first time in forever that UConn basketball was momentarily fun again.

Polley didn't shoot it well but his confidence is night and day from where it was earlier in the season. Him putting it on the floor opens the offense a ton.

I really like Antwoine Anderson and of everybody on the roster, he's the guy I feel for the most with regards to how this season has played out. Not an especially gifted player by any means but seemingly the perfect fourth guard on a roster.

Going small late in the game was a great move by Ollie and anticipating the trap on the Adams ball screen by using Polley on the pop was even better. If this turns out to be the last game he coaches in Gampel I'm glad it looked more like his first two years.

Reaction Score
It is difficult, after a game like last night's, to hold one's resolve as a card-carrying Ollie-basher. To use a stock market analogy, we "bought the top" when we gave KO his contract, and dumping him now begins to feel like "selling the bottom." Diarra, Polley and Carlton all showed last night the new confidence you mention. Yes, the confidence was shown more in the initiation of moves than the finish, but it was demonstrably there. Tossed out of the nest, the fledglings are learning to fly. Anderson gave us a Gilbert-like performance at the point, and it freed Jalen to showcase his entire repertoire, including a confident, long-range three. To mix the metaphor, it was Jalen playing Shabazz to Anderson's Boat. Hard not to drool at the prospects of Jalen playing alongside AG or Akinjo next year.

I have suggested before that KO is an enabler, not a teacher. Playing for KO is an exercise in self-discipline and self-discovery. The young players who survive the course may well become the confident, self-assured operators that KO has proved he can lead to a championship. One is tempted this morning to give him the chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of this sounds great... It really does and I thoroughly enjoyed our performance tonight and a glimpse into the potential that Diarra, Polley, and Adams have. That being said, I really hope our new coach can get them all to stay. There's some decent talent here; clearly, we are missing some key components (shooting, playmaking, handle, rebounding) but there are some nice complementary pieces. But if battling to beat a mediocre 16-12 team, on senior night, leads you to be tempted to see if KO has all of a sudden figured it out, then I am thoroughly impressed by your loyalty and thoroughly perplexed with your judgment.

Reaction Score
It is difficult, after a game like last night's, to hold one's resolve as a card-carrying Ollie-basher. To use a stock market analogy, we "bought the top" when we gave KO his contract, and dumping him now begins to feel like "selling the bottom." Diarra, Polley and Carlton all showed last night the new confidence you mention. Yes, the confidence was shown more in the initiation of moves than the finish, but it was demonstrably there. Tossed out of the nest, the fledglings are learning to fly. Anderson gave us a Gilbert-like performance at the point, and it freed Jalen to showcase his entire repertoire, including a confident, long-range three. To mix the metaphor, it was Jalen playing Shabazz to Anderson's Boat. Hard not to drool at the prospects of Jalen playing alongside AG or Akinjo next year.

I have suggested before that KO is an enabler, not a teacher. Playing for KO is an exercise in self-discipline and self-discovery. The young players who survive the course may well become the confident, self-assured operators that KO has proved he can lead to a championship. One is tempted this morning to give him the chance.
Analogies are not the same as reasoning. And to truly apply the analogy Ollie would be the CEO of UConn and the stock price and more importantly outlook is unchanged after a one day rally or one day of good sales. The record is how you evaluate performance and the record (W/L, attendance, quality of play, retaining players, recruiting players, developing players, complying w/rules) stinks.

I'm very glad they won and seniors always deserve to leave on a high note. Plus important at this dark moment to see possibilities, potential and to have optimism.

Reaction Score
That was probably one of the best three games I've seen Jalen play in a UConn uniform. Dominant, all-American caliber performance that I expected to see more of at the start of the season. It isn't a fair standard to hold someone to but then again how can you not?

Watching Diarra tonight was no exaggeration the first time in forever that UConn basketball was momentarily fun again.

Polley didn't shoot it well but his confidence is night and day from where it was earlier in the season. Him putting it on the floor opens the offense a ton.

I really like Antwoine Anderson and of everybody on the roster, he's the guy I feel for the most with regards to how this season has played out. Not an especially gifted player by any means but seemingly the perfect fourth guard on a roster.

Going small late in the game was a great move by Ollie and anticipating the trap on the Adams ball screen by using Polley on the pop was even better. If this turns out to be the last game he coaches in Gampel I'm glad it looked more like his first two years.
Temple can be a very good team when they are hitting their shots.

Tyler Polley penetrating from the wing or top of the key is excellent play. Other defenders close on him, he gets a shot up, gets fouled, and hits the free ones. He's not turning the ball over in traffic, and mixes it up with the physical contact. Those shots are going to start going in too.

Dude is gonna be good next year, with more size, strength, and physicality. Really? A physical wing player, I love it.

Great game from Jalen, points and assists, seems content to return next year.

Antoine made a few mistakes, but he is handling the ball 50% of the time at least. He made a lot of really nice plays both offensively and defensively.

Larrier is playing better, and he is getting rebounds.

Thought Carlton played well, he's looking better, more composed.

Diarra and Williams both brought energy and their bodies to the fray. Mamadou made some nice plays, good game for him. Need more of it.

The pick and pop with Adams/Polley was one of the better plays all season. We'll be seeing that one again, end of games.

The rebounding is troubling, but a good win nonetheless. Great for morale.

On to Houston

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was great to see the Huskies take care of business last night. But it's also important to remember that we have not beaten a ranked team in 2 years. Houston provides an opportunity to change that. Yes, we beat an NIT team. Can we beat an NCAA team on the road?

Reaction Score
Loved the last 5 minutes. Lads were a bit sloppy, but the energy was a flash of ye-olde-UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All of this sounds great... It really does and I thoroughly enjoyed our performance tonight and a glimpse into the potential that Diarra, Polley, and Adams have. That being said, I really hope our new coach can get them all to stay. There's some decent talent here; clearly, we are missing some key components (shooting, playmaking, handle, rebounding) but there are some nice complementary pieces. But if battling to beat a mediocre 16-12 team, on senior night, leads you to be tempted to see if KO has all of a sudden figured it out, then I am thoroughly impressed by your loyalty and thoroughly perplexed with your judgment.
Thanks for your optimistic insight.
Temple sometimes plays like a mediocre team but also has some really nice victories against ranked teams so labeling them as mediocre seems to be convenient to make sure the victory does not taint your view of KO.
I really hope our new coach can get them all to stay - LMAO

Reaction Score
It was one game. I don’t think it changes any analysis in any way. Temple is a decent team with some good wins but hardly 2004 UConn. They also have some inexplicable losses which is why they are NIT bound. Maybe this leads somewhere maybe it doesn’t. Nice to get a win though.

Reaction Score
Uconn has had 4 decent/good wins this year. Not great wins, but good.

Oregon - followed up with a 20 point loss to MSU and a total no show vs Arkansas and two OT games against awful teams (as the season has progressed we can see more and more just how bad those teams are and how pathetic it is that OT was even required to dispatch of those two).

SMU - followed by a beating and a 3 game losing streak.

The only momentum Uconn showed after a "decent" (and saying decent is a stretch) win was after Tulane, when they had the back to back Tulane/UCF games, but then two 20 point beatings followed.

Now Temple. Lets see what Uconn does against Houston. Do they finally show consistent, prolonged growth, finally, or go back to old habits all too quickly again?

BTW, Uconn would be slated to face SMU in the first round, if the AACT started today, no? If Uconn shocked Houston, it would be a shot at a 3 game winning streak filled with decent or better teams (obviously Houston is a good team).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My support for Ollie has not been a big secret but the bipolar feeling for him is bizarre sometimes on this board after wins. But we should take what we can. Especially on what may be his farewell. That could also have saved his butt. Beat a decent team and avenged a thumping from earlier this year. That last minute, while we were up like 6 scrambling to play hard man defense showed the “ want too” we have missed on this side all year from everyone as a unit. It was by far. My favorite part of the game. I cannot recall if temple even scored. But watching hungry husky pups flying all over the defensive side of the court cutting off lanes and throwing hands up with urgency was maybe my favorite sight all year. I pray, win or lose, that mentally charged belief carries over these next few games.

Reaction Score
My support for Ollie has not been a big secret but the bipolar feeling for him is bizarre sometimes on this board after wins. But we should take what we can. Especially on what may be his farewell. That could also have saved his butt. Beat a decent team and avenged a thumping from earlier this year. That last minute, while we were up like 6 scrambling to play hard man defense showed the “ want too” we have missed on this side all year from everyone as a unit. It was by far. My favorite part of the game. I cannot recall if temple even scored. But watching hungry husky pups flying all over the defensive side of the court cutting off lanes and throwing hands up with urgency was maybe my favorite sight all year. I pray, win or lose, that mentally charged belief carries over these next few games.

The kids showed growth and heart last night.. So refreshing to see.. I think the team as a whole actually stuck to the gameplan (for a change) and execution was there for the most part..

When we went man to man late and they dialed it up I did actually crack a smile.. It felt good

Reaction Score
The formula every game for success is your guard getting 12 rebounds?

Reaction Score
The formula every game for success is your guard getting 12 rebounds?
Explain to me why that's a bad thing.

In 2013-14, Shabazz led the team in rebounding for almost the entire season.

To me, it shows that player's hustle and grit. It doesn't take away from the rest of the team. It actually shows that the bigs are boxing out like they're supposed to.

Reaction Score
The kids showed growth and heart last night.. So refreshing to see.. I think the team as a whole actually stuck to the gameplan (for a change) and execution was there for the most part..

When we went man to man late and they dialed it up I did actually crack a smile.. It felt good
That was it.

Reaction Score
Temple is 16-13. That is the epitome of a mediocre team.
No doubt. And we at times are far from that,and new and young and a lot of stuff other than UConn good. But we needed a win against at least a bubble team. It carries some weight.

Reaction Score
As I said on the other thread, before we name Temple national champs by acclamation remember they also lost to LaSalle, George Washington and Tulane and were held to 39 by UCF. That doesn’t take anything away from a win against them. Just keep some perspective. 16-13 8-9 7th place in the conference is the kind of game UConn used to bevexpected to win most of the time. When we lost this place would explode with rage. Now it’s the highlight of the season. Which shows where we have fallen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom