Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
307648_102837219826442_100152733428224_23137_1118020419_n.jpg

JS

Reaction Score
eek.gif
Yeah.

Tough one. If it got dropped in the ordinary course, especially as name-calling, it'd be gone.

Here it's integral to the joke, which is actually pretty funny.

So . . . the trigger finger is itching but steady. . . so far. But complaints could give it a short run.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
who could complain about that lol. it's hysterical!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

ctchamps

Reaction Score
who could complain about that lol. it's hysterical!
LOL. There are some people who think humor is bad. There are some people who think certain types of humor is bad. There are some people who think certain words are profane and that is bad. And some of these people believe it is important to restrict other people in how they behave, think and feel.

On a public forum, with a wide variation of beliefs regarding what is appropriate and what is inappropriate, you will always find points of contention. Hopefully this won't be one of them.

JS

Reaction Score
On a public forum, with a wide variation of beliefs regarding what is appropriate and what is inappropriate, you will always find points of contention. Hopefully this won't be one of them.
True on both counts.

While different views are, as you say, inevitable, we've long sought to maintain a culture that will be comfortable for the mainstream of posters here. That means, among other things, that you won't ordinarily see (and have never seen, for long) certain terms for bodily parts and functions -- whether classified as "bathroom humor" or just "crude" language -- and especially when used aggressively as name-calling or "swearing at" people.

No policy, however, needs to be applied blindly. As indicated earlier, in this case there's a good reason for use of the word.

I'm not, by the way, inviting on-board debate of this subject. People can comment by private message to any of the mods if they wish. For now, I'm just supplying a brief elaboration of mod philosophy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the law was blind....hmmmmm.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I thought the law was blind....hmmmmm.
I won't debate whether the law is blind or not but we are not applying law here are we. Well unless you are using the term to cover "laws" like "The law of unintended consequences". Applying policy based on a philosophy allows and even requires interpretation based on circumstance. Now that I think of it, sounds like what lawyers do all the time anyway.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah.

So . . . the trigger finger is itching but steady. . .

Perhaps the aformentioned Preparation H might help that steady itching?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

You can count me among the unoffended and the amused.

JS

Reaction Score
Only if I'm sitting around with my finger up . . .

Well, never mind.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not complaining, not offended, not even upset, I just recognize poor taste when I see it.
I'm not sure you meant it the way you wrote it but I thought your statement was a play on the op.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A couple years ago, a friend sent me about a dozen of these "Maxine" funnies, all humorous and some a little . I forwarded them to Nan.

I have not noticed that she ever used any of them on line.

We remain on friendly speaking terms.

No harm, no foul.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
of all the sh.. that's said on these boards we're gonna let a cartoon bother us.......... AMAZING!

hopefully "the bothered" speak up when a "real person" is called nasty names.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:
Not complaining, not offended, not even upset, I just recognize poor taste when I see it.

I'm not sure you meant it the way you wrote it but I thought your statement was a play on the op.

I know, talk about pushing the envelope. :eek:

JS

Reaction Score
of all the sh.. that's said on these boards we're gonna let a cartoon bother us.......... AMAZING!

hopefully "the bothered" speak up when a "real person" is called nasty names.
To quote a revered moderator, "I'm not, by the way, inviting on-board debate of this subject. People can comment by private message to any of the mods if they wish."

We'll continue to apply the standards we've explained. We don't need a roll call of people's reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom